British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

Good to hear the first meeting went well, let's hope the problems are now a thing of the past.

Couple of small teething problems - ticket office opens at 6 (very good) but turnstiles didn't open until 6.30 (bizarre).

PA system wasn't brilliant.

Bring back Natalie Quirk :approve: and Ken Wrench :o

Other than that, stunning.

Couple of small teething problems - ticket office opens at 6 (very good) but turnstiles didn't open until 6.30 (bizarre).

PA system wasn't brilliant.

Bring back Natalie Quirk :approve: and Ken Wrench :o

Other than that, stunning.

Fair comment, the guy on the centre green's enthusiastic but his "obviouslys" grate after a while.

Think the announcer will be ok, though after hearing Ken all my speedway watching life (since 1980) it seems a bit weird.

Friday night really whetted the appetite for when the Aces get on track. With plenty of dirt & watering can't wait to watch the lines Matej Zagar finds on that track, exciting times ahead..

Edited by mikec

Christ, if whoever is doing the job now is worse than Ken has been in the last 10 years it must be bad as he was terrible!

The new announcer, John Doyle, seemed a bit iffy to start with, think he'll be ok. There were some problems with the PA, wonder if there were issues with the link between centre green & box.

Take your point that Ken wasn't the same towards the end, it probably was time for a change. Though after 40 years on the BV mic it was lovely to see him at a table overlooking the start/finish line in the Peter Craven Suite enjoying the Colts/Fen Tigers match on Friday night. A gentleman, loves the sport, an Ace through & through. :approve:

• Like 2

What an odious little man you are.

Unfortunately mate, unless certain things change in this country Gustix is right.. You will never, get all the top boys back here, as been mentioned a million times, and in a few years time, hopefully not, but the likelyhood being we are likely to lose a couple of tracks. Then, the only way forward will be one league. with two semis and a grand play off final.

• Like 1

Unfortunately mate, unless certain things change in this country Gustix is right.. You will never, get all the top boys back here, as been mentioned a million times, and in a few years time, hopefully not, but the likelyhood being we are likely to lose a couple of tracks. Then, the only way forward will be one league. with two semis and a grand play off final.

That is indeed a sound comment Starman but will, we know, meet with the usual blitz of ant-comments. There are "...none so blind as those who don't want to see.." and there are many of them posting on the BSF and also on this thread Starman. It must be accepted that speedway is on the verge of its biggest crisis since the mid-1950s when it dwindled to some half a dozen senior tracks.

Sadly - but hopefully not - there must be a realisation that speedway could be heading that way again. Like you, detractors like to ridicule our views/opinions. Unlike many of the detractors, I was closely associated with the sport in the 1950s when it went into near oblivion. I know more than most of them what went on 'behind the scenes' as promoters were 'in near panic' as they endeavoured to stave off the end of speedway as a major sport.

Starman we will for now be 'voices in the wilderness' and must hope that warnings and comments in regard to speedway's salvations are taken notice of.

Edited by Guest

It's such a shame that so many threads on this forum end up turning into slanging matches.

I've been guilty of over reacting to other peoples attacks...it's hard not too when so many attack the poster and not the post.

Just because people have a difference of opinion...surely if we don't agree, we should debate and give counter argument? Or as I have done, put people on 'Ignore'?

In Somerset's last programme, there is an interview with Dave Rowe...he mentions in it, about the 'constant bitching and sniping' all the time of forums and social media...and that it will eventually drag the sport down. He mentions that as fans we should be looking at 'Constructive and positive ways of improving the sport'.

He also mentions that he thinks British Speedway will inevitably change...and it's clear we have difficulties....that teams in all leagues are struggling, brings up Plymouth example, and says 'It's no good people just ignoring these things'.

He say's it wouldn't surprise him if the current format of speedway in this country changed...'either to one Super League, with one night only of racing...or to a lower league level of two divisions of 12'.

This is coming from a guy who's been around speedway for many years and is close to what actually is going on with Clubs etc.

It's great that BV got up and running at last and it's a positive for the sport...but regardless of what people think...Gustix is factually correct...it will only survive as long as Speedway survives.

People have to keep attending, and the Promotors and riders need to put on a good product that is both sustainable and entertaining, for all parties.

I've come back to this sport, because I have a deep ingrained love for it.

I try to see what would attract a complete newcomer to the sport.

It's still there in it's rawest form.

I saw hope only last Friday...a little kid with his parents at Somerset. Probably only 5/6 yo. He had his little push bike, similar in style to a speedway bike...a small crash helmet on and Somerset racing bib on. Practicing his starts and copying actions of the riders...completely lost in his speedway bubble. His head sharply turned to the track when the first engine sounds started up...he was transfixed.

It took me back to when I was a kid...if the sport can tap into that, then I think we are onto something.

Do Promotors still take riders and a bike to schools, talk about Speedway, hand out tickets and info...start up the bike and let the kids see and feel the excitement?

• Like 6

It's such a shame that so many threads on this forum end up turning into slanging matches.

I've been guilty of over reacting to other peoples attacks...it's hard not too when so many attack the poster and not the post.

Just because people have a difference of opinion...surely if we don't agree, we should debate and give counter argument? Or as I have done, put people on 'Ignore'?

In Somerset's last programme, there is an interview with Dave Rowe...he mentions in it, about the 'constant bitching and sniping' all the time of forums and social media...and that it will eventually drag the sport down. He mentions that as fans we should be looking at 'Constructive and positive ways of improving the sport'.

He also mentions that he thinks British Speedway will inevitably change...and it's clear we have difficulties....that teams in all leagues are struggling, brings up Plymouth example, and says 'It's no good people just ignoring these things'.

He say's it wouldn't surprise him if the current format of speedway in this country changed...'either to one Super League, with one night only of racing...or to a lower league level of two divisions of 12'.

This is coming from a guy who's been around speedway for many years and is close to what actually is going on with Clubs etc.

It's great that BV got up and running at last and it's a positive for the sport...but regardless of what people think...Gustix is factually correct...it will only survive as long as Speedway survives.

People have to keep attending, and the Promotors and riders need to put on a good product that is both sustainable and entertaining, for all parties.

I saw hope only last Friday...a little kid with his parents at Somerset. Probably only 5/6 yo. He had his little push bike, similar in style to a speedway bike...a small crash helmet on and Somerset racing bib on. Practicing his starts and copying actions of the riders...completely lost in his speedway bubble. His head sharply turned to the track when the first engine sounds started up...he was transfixed.

It took me back to when I was a kid...if the sport can tap into that, then I think we are onto something.

Do Promotors still take riders and a bike to schools, talk about Speedway, hand out tickets and info...start up the bike and let the kids see and feel the excitement?

I did some promotional talks at schools many years ago and took in some DVDs I seem to recall. Having a bike present would have helped tremendously but I felt that I didn't really get much support from the promoter at the time and it was really left to my enthusiasm, more than anything, to try and get the message across.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I did some promotional talks at schools many years ago and took in some DVDs I seem to recall. Having a bike present would have helped tremendously but I felt that I didn't really get much support from the promoter at the time and it was really left to my enthusiasm, more than anything, to try and get the message across.

Can't help but feel that there would be some H&S ruling, that you wouldn't be allowed to start up the bike. :neutral:

Wouldn't happen in the likes of Poland.

I recently watched some footage of a presenter trying to learn speedway in Poland. Some kid jumped on in jeans, t shirt and trainers...no helmet...nothing...and showed him how to power slide :lol:

Two extremes of crazy...

• Like 1

A very fine Post Gresham. :t::approve:

• Like 1

"Constructive and positive ways of improving the sport" is what the majority of people want and mostly engage in, which is why it irks them when a certain poster “likes” posts about the sports possible demise and pollutes threads prediciting armagedon at every opportunity as that’s not constructive or improving the sport, its being a troll.

The Belle Vue track looks stunning, genuinely excellent, they will recover from the initial glitch quite easily if NL meetings (no disrespect intended) can produce the standard of racing on show so far, let alone EL meetings.

• Like 4

"Constructive and positive ways of improving the sport" is what the majority of people want and mostly engage in, which is why it irks them when a certain poster “likes” posts about the sports possible demise and pollutes threads prediciting armagedon at every opportunity as that’s not constructive or improving the sport, its being a troll.

...or sounding a warning that comes from having an interest in the sport since 1945 and as a spectator since 1946? Maybe he has seen the high and lows that have affected speedway over the years and actually having been a 'speedway insider' when the sport almost died in the mid-1950s.Who of his detractors can claim that experience?

...or sounding a warning that comes from having an interest in the sport since 1945 and as a spectator since 1946? Maybe he has seen the high and lows that have affected speedway over the years and actually having been a 'speedway insider' when the sport almost died in the mid-1950s.Who of his detractors can claim that experience?

What is the warning,where is the sport going wrong and with all those decades of experience(obviously as you say far more than anyone else can manage,so we bow to your considerable knowledge)what do you propose to help save the sport?I am sure we are all waiting with breath baited

• Like 1

I sat next to a lady from Manchester on a plane ride at the weekend, her son rides motorcross. I asked if she'd heard about Belle Vue and the new stadium. She said she had but said it's really not promoted at all. And it's not the first time I've heard this.
I find it staggering they would put all that money & effort into building the stadium and then not promote it proper.y.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

I sat next to a lady from Manchester on a plane ride at the weekend, her son rides motorcross. I asked if she'd heard about Belle Vue and the new stadium. She said she had but said it's really not promoted at all. And it's not the first time I've heard this.

I find it staggering they would put all that money & effort into building the stadium and then not promote it proper.y.

We are talking about 'promoting' speedway RPNYC.