British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

An absolute car crash of events.

Is there another sport in the world where the close season is as extensive, October to March? It's unacceptable. Let's be honest, we're not talking about a three-tiered, bowl-like arena with 70,000 seats and 150 VIP boxes. In footballing terms, it's a Conference Premier stadium. For that stadium, and I include the track's surface in that, to be unfit for purpose is a grave, grave error of preparation and judgement which falls accurately on the lap of the Belle Vue promotion.

I'm assuming tomorrow's televised meeting on Sky won't be going ahead, will it?

An absolute car crash of events.

Is there another sport in the world where the close season is as extensive, October to March? It's unacceptable. Let's be honest, we're not talking about a three-tiered, bowl-like arena with 70,000 seats and 150 VIP boxes. In footballing terms, it's a Conference Premier stadium. For that stadium, and I include the track's surface in that, to be unfit for purpose is a grave, grave error of preparation and judgement which falls accurately on the lap of the Belle Vue promotion.

I'm assuming tomorrow's televised meeting on Sky won't be going ahead, will it?

Sky is kings Lynn versus poole now. That was changed last week.

First match is Friday in NL with first EL meeting on Monday

Is it? Sky's website still has it down as Belle Vue and Poole. Even that emphasises emphasises the unprofessionalism of the whole thing. Sky have dedicated employees fixing Jim White's tie ahead of a cricket update at 2PM on a Wednesday afternoon, but they can't be bothered updating the utter mess that is their speedway schedule.

I feel sorry for Belle Vue fans. This would not happen in another sport.

Good business sense having an NL match first up...

First match equals a big crowd regardless of level of meeting..

Much bigger than a normal Colts' crowd I would suggest..

Will get another big crowd then for the first EL match....

And the track should have had a good stress test before the EL riders ride on it....

There does seem to be a different air to the announcements now, with the Colts fixture with Cradley announced for a week on Saturday too.

This will all be a distant memory as soon as the racing swings into regular action.

The stadium is there and is there to stay. The race track looks big, wide and quick. It is going to be a great facility for both the Aces and British Speedway, whether you like it or not.

I find it hard to fathom the negativity surrounding the Aces and the NSS on this forum. I've always wanted all tracks to succeed as we are all part of the Speedway family. I was gutted when Cradley closed, I didn't go on about what a little rat hole it was. When I hear of tracks reopening I see it as good news, Birmingham, Leicester, Scunthorpe and so many more over the years. Even our nearest rivals, Bradford, I'd be made up to hear of returning and I can still get misty eyed at pictures of The Shay.

Right now I desperately hope to hear of good news from Cowley or hope for Reading. And the idea of a top flight without Coventry or Swindon fills me with horror. British Speedway can't afford to lose these famous old clubs

Make no mistake about it, without the NSS Belle Vue would almost certainly have gone. The Dog Bowl was getting worse and worse season on season and it's hard to see how the ♣ could have continued.

This stadium can save the my club but in turn that can only be good for Speedway. It can be a place to provide the country with top class international racing to showcase our sport.

Hopefully after a successful World Cup meeting and a full season of racing, this unfortunate start will be just a footnote.

Before some of the snipers delight in it again, can I just point out that the forecast for Friday is absolutely minging. It won't be the clubs fault or mean anything more than a standard rain off, if the Colts don't get their home campaign away this week.

And despite all the difficulties I've got more anticipation than ever for seeing The ♣ in action.

Let's go Racing.

• Like 3

It could only happen in speedway. The opening race at the National Speedway Stadium - and it will be a low grade National League fixture - if the weather (...and track?...) permits.

And here's the Manchester forecast for Friday...http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123

Treat it as a test/practice session that the public are allowed to attend. After the failure of the product launch a 'soft' launch now makes plenty of sense.

The essential thing is that the track opens and goes on to be a huge asset to speedway. Surely that's what we all want?

Surely?

• Like 7

Treat it as a test/practice session that the public are allowed to attend. After the failure of the product launch a 'soft' launch now makes plenty of sense.

The essential thing is that the track opens and goes on to be a huge asset to speedway. Surely that's what we all want?

Surely?

You'd think so. But it certainly doesn't look like it.

It could only happen in speedway. The opening race at the National Speedway Stadium - and it will be a low grade National League fixture - if the weather (...and track?...) permits.

And here's the Manchester forecast for Friday...http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123

First the meeting was too big, now it's too low key. What on earth do people want?

• Like 1

Given the disaster that the track and event management has been at BV they really should stop them sullying the nation stadium name in their ads, but the choice of a NL event is the first bit of common sense they have shown in the whole mess.

• Like 4

The Cradley meeting has been cancelled. What on earth is going on?

Nothing to do with track. Just been to watch practice and all systems go for Fridays meeting against stoke.

Cradley meeting is politics once again as it seems stoke are preventing us to race on same night as themselves.

There is a rule though that only 1 track can run on the same night if both tracks are only 30 miles apart

But once again people will still think it's the track's fault.

So how do Leicester and Coventry run on the same night?

When do they both ride together??? in EL Coventry ride Friday and Leicester saturday

Edited by Phil The Ace

Monday 9th May.

Coventry at Home to Wolverhampton

Leicester at home to Poole

Both 7:30 starts

If both teams agree to run at same time then it can be done.

But there is Deffo a 30 mile radius rule, all though can anyone confirm this