British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

The ones who shout loudest often dampen the spirit of others who are usually quieter. Others then get overruled.

Its just a theory I have but I cant prove it.

I'm not saying there wasn't a problem with BV track, cause obviously there was (but not fully known at the time)

I still cant understand why Warsaw was stopped by the riders, and comments on here indicate many cant understand why BV was stopped even before it started.

I still hold the view it was a conspiracy against either BV or "the establishment" by some of the riders. They did it in Warsaw last year and I reckon they done it again.

I not heard one fan say the track looked unfit after the 20 laps test ride by the 16 riders, the only reports I have heard is that they were suprised the meeting was called off.

If the riders are setting a standard they got to be consistant, and if they are consistant then some tracks are going to be in trouble and probably often.

As soon as the first 4 riders had done their laps we knew there was a big problem with the track, two road rollers came out to work on two places on 3rd\4th bend!! Knew then they wouldn't be doing that after every race, might as well called it then
  • Like 1

So you think that because a track requires grading or rollers you have to call it off? Whose to say this would be required after every race? I've seen far worse tracks than this and I bet you have.

Have you ridden on any of them though to compare, Colin? Seeing a track you may deem to be bad, isn't the same as sitting on a 500cc, highly tuned, motorbike with no brakes and riding/racing it, particularly in this case, on a virgin track. Personally I would take the opinion of an SGP standard rider over a voice in the crowd any day. Particularly if that voice is attached to a body that has never swung a leg over a speedway bike.

• Like 2

I still hold the view it was a conspiracy against either BV or "the establishment" by some of the riders. They did it in Warsaw last year and I reckon they done it again.

I not heard one fan say the track looked unfit after the 20 laps test ride by the 16 riders, the only reports I have heard is that they were suprised the meeting was called off.

If the riders are setting a standard they got to be consistant, and if they are consistant then some tracks are going to be in trouble and probably often.

Hmm, I might well have agreed with you at the time of the abortive Opening Meeting but is the fact that every single meeting since has been called off and they are still unable to sort out the track not slightly changed your view on this?

There's clearly a major problem with the track..

• Like 3

So you think that because a track requires grading or rollers you have to call it off? Whose to say this would be required after every race? I've seen far worse tracks than this and I bet you have.

I personally think those ruts would've got deeper and deeper, I wouldn't want to see riders coming to grief because of them, seen too many bad crashes ....
  • Like 2

Hmm, I might well have agreed with you at the time of the abortive Opening Meeting but is the fact that every single meeting since has been called off and they are still unable to sort out the track not slightly changed your view on this?

I think the subsequent meetings may have been called off for legal reasons . If you buy a car sold as seen ,you accept responsibilty if it doesnt work the next day . If you accept a speedway track ( By running a Meeting on it ) same thing would apply , the contractors would say well you used it so it must be fit for purpose . and with the schoolkids at rugby handing out fines for late abandonment . Belle vue management probably daren't risk another late calloff

I think the subsequent meetings may have been called off for legal reasons . If you buy a car sold as seen ,you accept responsibilty if it doesnt work the next day . If you accept a speedway track ( By running a Meeting on it ) same thing would apply , the contractors would say well you used it so it must be fit for purpose . and with the schoolkids at rugby handing out fines for late abandonment . Belle vue management probably daren't risk another late calloff

Not true. The whole of the third and forth bends have been dug up again in an attempt to identify the cause of the water seepage. Story yesterday was that a permeable skin has been omitted from the base, and it's purpose was to allow water down and out, but not to allow water to rise up through it. I think we will be seeing meetings at BV in the very near future if that is the case.

• Like 1

Not true. The whole of the third and forth bends have been dug up again in an attempt to identify the cause of the water seepage. Story yesterday was that a permeable skin has been omitted from the base, and it's purpose was to allow water down and out, but not to allow water to rise up through it. I think we will be seeing meetings at BV in the very near future if that is the case.

Did the Council use that famous firm of James, Cassidy, kid and Hickok to do the work ;)

• Like 1

If I read it right, Poole had a hole on one of its corners for more then a few meetings, yet riders put up with it. Why?

It must have been seen a "home advantage" or Poole management would have dealt with it. So why did away riders put up with it?

Kings Lynn didn't, that hole was pathetic!

I think some of the earlier, and not so earlier, name calling of Dave Gordon and Chris Morton need to be retracted ie clowns etc. An apology would be in order I think. After all, how were they to now that the contractor had omitted it.

Ont the contrary, good to know that someone had the insight to specify one into the specification. Well done whoever that was.

• Like 1

I think some of the earlier, and not so earlier, name calling of Dave Gordon and Chris Morton need to be retracted ie clowns etc. An apology would be in order I think. After all, how were they to now that the contractor had omitted it.

Ont the contrary, good to know that someone had the insight to specify one into the specification. Well done whoever that was.

Good that Gordon and Morton are making sure it's 100% right before they sign it off . I would rahter see them lose a bit of dosah in revenue and hopefully get it back longterm , than give it the circus at rugby to divvy up between themselves while they sit laughing at the struggle to get a flagship stadium up and running .

Good that Gordon and Morton are making sure it's 100% right before they sign it off . I would rahter see them lose a bit of dosah in revenue and hopefully get it back longterm , than give it the circus at rugby to divvy up between themselves while they sit laughing at the struggle to get a flagship stadium up and running .

What a sick and sad individual you can be. How can anything get divvied up from a track not being able to run because of construction problems. BTW DOSH is spelt dosh.

• Like 2

Did nobody check the specifications at each stage of the work?

If you remember , Humphrey, bends 3-4 were done in the last working days, as the contractors were moving backwards out of the stadium, and at the same time wanting to get the job done ready for the first meeting. Thats where this went wrong. In retrospect, carrying out the work over the winter period was always going to be problematic - who can predict the weather. As it was it was not so much a cold winter, but a wet one. Lesson to be learned, take note Swindon and Coventry!