British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

No other new project has promised to deliver the National Stadium holding major events in an unrealistic time frame.

I'll praise it if and when it's praiseworthy on completion.

Whatever happens, they never hosted the SWC final that was promised. So those of us who said it wouldn't happen were right. But the happy clappers won't accept that.

Whatever happens, they never hosted the SWC final that was promised. So those of us who said it wouldn't happen were right. But the happy clappers won't accept that.

How can anybody promise when they are not in charge of the project development. I would suggest is was planned, but project setup duration took longer than hoped.

Pity it hadn't just been 45 days, then you could join the happy clappers for once.

• Like 1

That's nothing to crow about.

OK the timing wasn't as good as was hoped - but the same can be said for many projects these days. The fact is - it IS happening and there are those on here who said that it wouldn't.

Being graceful in defeat would be nice.

Perhaps too much to hope for though.

• Like 1

I didn't happen. We said we're believe it when we saw it ans the SWC final in 2013 was not at BV. Come up with all the excuses, and "reasons" you like but it didn't happen.

I've already said I'm pleased it's going to happen, have always said that I just questions we'd get what we were promised and I (and many others) were right.

I didn't happen. We said we're believe it when we saw it ans the SWC final in 2013 was not at BV. Come up with all the excuses, and "reasons" you like but it didn't happen.

I've already said I'm pleased it's going to happen, have always said that I just questions we'd get what we were promised and I (and many others) were right.

You have no idea of project planning processes then. You can only hope for things, especially when someone else is driving the project.

• Like 1

This topic amazes me ..it looks like people are more worried about gloating and I told you so than being happy that the stadium is being built .

It's nice that is being build but not only is it 4 years behind it's not going to be the envy of the world as promised ...so both sides were right in a way.

Edited by orion

So they missed a few deadlines ?...that's construction , that's stadiums.....

The much crowed about FC United stadium should have been finished absolutely ages ago...then it should have been ready for the start of this season....it's still not ready and the club are still nicking Curzon Ashton's stadium..........but all I ever here in the press about that is positive news..all I hear from fans is support....they know it's being built and they know it's took miles longer than expected but it will be done.....and this will be done..

I think they were a bit naive and optimistic in their announcements early on..that didn't help...I still think calling it the National Speedway Stadium is over the top and again will lead to criticism when some people say it doesn't meet those expectations...and they probably won't to be honest...but I'm sure it will be a really nice little stadium with an excellent track and that will be something the club and the sport can and will be proud of even if there are further delays which to be honest is quite likely..but it will open

You have no idea of project planning processes then. You can only hope for things, especially when someone else is driving the project.

I myself do have a lot of idea of this as I spent 40 years in construction as an engineer and said at the time that nothing was certain as I have seen better projects than a tin shed disappear after having the drawings to ponder over.

Great it has finally happened but as someone said it seems more important to gloat over it than celebrate that this very minor stadium development has become a reality.

Fantastic I say and good luck to Belle Vue but I don't see why those of us that did not join in with the rather fantastical idea that the SWC would be held there 4 years ago should somehow don hair shirts and eat humble pie.

The whole farce was typical of speedway and my cynicism of the sport delivering was nothing unusual as I had that for most of my time as a fan.

It is hardly a National stadium but hopefully will fulfil a role with SWC and some of the bigger meetings.

you can't say that. Everyone who said it wasn't going to be built in time said it because they hoped it would fail and couldn't wait to gloat.

You sir are an idiot. But sadly I am rather ill and have just spent my time reading the highly amusing Darcy Ward thread rather than spend time arguing with idiots here. But some of the comments here are quite insulting that a speedway fan would wish the stadium not to be built.

Not all of us fall into line at the drop of a hat.

We have heard it all before. I still remember how Bristol was going to have a wonderful stadium and rise from the ashes.

Still waiting on that one. And Norwich etc etc.

Anyway back to my sickbed but once again delighted work has begun and good luck to all involved :)

You sir are an idiot. But sadly I am rather ill and have just spent my time reading the highly amusing Darcy Ward thread rather than spend time arguing with idiots here. But some of the comments here are quite insulting that a speedway fan would wish the stadium not to be built.

Not all of us fall into line at the drop of a hat.

I may well be an idiot, but you sir have a defective irony detector.
  • Like 2

you can't say that. Everyone who said it wasn't going to be built in time said it because they hoped it would fail and couldn't wait to gloat.

Please do not include me in that category :nono:

It is certainly no tin shed and although it may be a minor stadium compared to those built for major sports it is still going to be the best speedway stadium in this country.

I find it amazing that people can still be going on about the SWC, which is a very minor issue in comparison to the achievement of actually getting a purpose built speedway stadium built in a major city, close to the city centre with all the necessary transport links and facilities to attract major events.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 5

No other new project has promised to deliver the National Stadium holding major events in an unrealistic time frame.

I'll praise it if and when it's praiseworthy on completion.

Dosent take away the fact Swindon also proposed a new stadium if I remember rightly as part of a new housing development given which there would be no problems with planning, not even a hint of it on the horizon so not much difference at all is there? No doubt when the BV stadium is complete the naysayers having been proven wrong will no doubt find much to still be negative about, cant be worse than KL though can it? As for people now getting worked up about the national stadium tag I think that might have come about because the promotion have stated they want to use the facility for the good of british speedway in bringing through young british talent that every club can benefit from not just belle vue, speedway has been crying out for such a centre, certain clubs like scunny for example have done a great job with youth speedway buy this will be on another level, surely people want GB to be competitive again? Anything that gives us an opportunity to promote young riders should be encouraged not constantly dissed

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 2

The new Stadium at Swindon is scheduled to be built before the 2016 season. They have recently started building the houses and the conditions are that the Stadium must be either started or completed before they sell 400 houses.

This track is of FIM size, unlike the BV one which I understand is not, but there is a planning change already put forward by the developers to reduce the size of the industrial area surrounding the track and to build more houses, which may delay the building and opening of the track by March 2016.

Some houses have already been built within a couple of hundred yards from the existing stadium and others are going up fast.

One thing they are building is an old peoples home next to the stadium, so if the flats overlook the track fans could get one of these flats and watch the speedway from their balcony.

Edited by A ORLOV

You're making no sense.

They announce they will hold the SWC in 2013?

SCB doubts that as he believes it will take longer... It DID take longer and you say he has no idea? The ones who had no idea were the ones making the promise.

Although, 'no idea' is a bit harsh... more over enthusiastic.

Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely FANTASTIC this project is now going ahead.

• Like 1

You're making no sense.

They announce they will hold the SWC in 2013?

SCB doubts that as he believes it will take longer... It DID take longer and you say he has no idea? The ones who had no idea were the ones making the promise.

Although, 'no idea' is a bit harsh... more over enthusiastic.

Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely FANTASTIC this project is now going ahead.

Let's just say that we are ALL mightily pleased that this is going ahead, look forward to watching the racing there - and leave it at that.

Surely a cause for celebration - not for argument.

• Like 8

Let's just say that we are ALL mightily pleased that this is going ahead, look forward to watching the racing there - and leave it at that.

Surely a cause for celebration - not for argument.

Quite possibly the best and most sensible post on the whole thread!

The new Stadium at Swindon is scheduled to be built before the 2016 season. They have recently started building the houses and the conditions are that the Stadium must be either started or completed before they sell 400 houses.

This track is of FIM size, unlike the BV one which I understand is not, but there is a planning change already put forward by the developers to reduce the size of the industrial area surrounding the track and to build more houses, which may delay the building and opening of the track by March 2016.

Some houses have already been built within a couple of hundred yards from the existing stadium and others are going up fast.

One thing they are building is an old peoples home next to the stadium, so if the flats overlook the track fans could get one of these flats and watch the speedway from their balcony.

Bit daft that, surely?