British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

you lot will never be satisfied, what are you moaning at? the play-offs? double point tac ride? poor facilities? the play-offs happen in most team league sports, its exciting and the rule is you play the season to qualify to compete in those play-offs to win the league title! its not difficult is it, its how it is, the double point tactical ride is a rule introduced to keep it close and exciting, aagain, its the rule, its how it is, its not hard on a particular team its just a slight chance to get back into the match, and don't compare it to football, cos its a different sport entirely! or any other sport, in football if you get a kick in the box the other team gets a free shot at goal, that's a rule, in speedway if your team is getting hammered you can nominate 1 rider to score double points! as for facilities go, a lot of these stadiums run greyhounds, or stock cars, and plenty attend them, as for answers on the whys n whens, iv no idea tbh, my team went years ago, so I go to various tracks, scunny, Leicester, KL, Sheffield, all depends when im working and what my plans are, I still enjoy it, I still see some good action, passing, thrills n spills, whats the problem? what do you want for £15/16/17 for 15 races?

Contrivance = CHEATING in my book.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I've been watching the building of the new FC United stadium and it's made me realise more than ever how long a process this can be....that took ages to get off the ground and then they said they would definitely start this season in in....no chance....then they said hopefully the end of November....well when I drive past it there is no chance of being in there this season I would say...so these things certainly take time that's for sure

When are Belle Vue aiming for ?.....it's 2016 isn't it ?...

Well I've been watching the building of the new FC United stadium and it's made me realise more than ever how long a process this can be....that took ages to get off the ground and then they said they would definitely start this season in in....no chance....then they said hopefully the end of November....well when I drive past it there is no chance of being in there this season I would say...so these things certainly take time that's for sure

When are Belle Vue aiming for ?.....it's 2016 isn't it ?...

2016 yes

• Like 1

I am back working in Manchester next week. Is it worth me making the effort to go and admire the progress being made?

No, all that been done is a small tarmac car park to put a portacabin on. Hockey still playing there so nothing else going to happen yet.

I do wonder though at the decision to call this new place the National Speedway Stadium ... it demonstrates how far the sport has descended, and the overall lack of ambition. Surely it couldn't be used to stage a GP?!

I thought that it was to be used as a (reasonably) central training facility: hence the 'National' title. This is something which is badly needed.

This topic has attracted a few bampots over it's time, but you've got to admire this late bid for the chief bampot title.

Even cynical old me had a chuckle. Even I think it's going to happen now, will need to wait for it to be complete before deciding if it's what we were promised though.

Am I not allowed to be cynical? Is there somewhere you can point me to see what the actual track will be like? All I've seen so far are architect drawings, and the track looks just the way a non-speedway person would draw a track round a field. Has anyone published the real spec?

At this stage, what the hell do you expect except drawings. A 1 to 8 scale model with real smell and noises ? :nono:

• Like 2

At this stage, what the hell do you expect except drawings. A 1 to 8 scale model with real smell and noises ? :nono:

I've made ones out of shaving foam and mash potato, but I think I've been watching Close Encounters too often.

To be honest, my cake scale model does suggest the bends may be a bit tight http://cdn.cakecentral.com/7/70/900x900px-LL-70c52c4f_bikecloseup.jpeg

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 2

I've made ones out of shaving foam and mash potato, but I think I've been watching Close Encounters too often.

To be honest, my cake scale model does suggest the bends may be a bit tight http://cdn.cakecentral.com/7/70/900x900px-LL-70c52c4f_bikecloseup.jpeg

You have been watching too much Blue Peter.

Can I order a cake for Christmas?

The architects and developers do realise they are building motorcycle speedway and not cycle speedway? :unsure:

If it's going to be ready in 2016 then they must have an idea of what they are building ...

The single most important part of any new speedway stadium (National or otherwise) is ... oh yeah ... the track :)

Everyone got excited about Leicester and look what happened. If the new circuit is like Scunthorpe or Somerset then everyone would be happy. Ideally, if it's outside a centre green large enough for other sports then it needs to be wide and sweeping like the old Hyde Road or many if the Polish tracks we are all so envious.

If you're telling me that no-one has put any thought into the track - how the hell can they design the stadium?

Bampots at both ends of the spectrum, LOL! ;)

I have posted this before a while back on the Belle vue thread and its a quote that was on the Belle vue web sight and it would appear that someone has had a little think about the track.(Quote)the track will be approx 350 meters long,the straights will be wide with plenty of room to pass and the turns will be big sweeping bends with the maximum banking allowed by the FIM for an international circuit.

If it's going to be ready in 2016 then they must have an idea of what they are building ...

The single most important part of any new speedway stadium (National or otherwise) is ... oh yeah ... the track :)

Everyone got excited about Leicester and look what happened. If the new circuit is like Scunthorpe or Somerset then everyone would be happy. Ideally, if it's outside a centre green large enough for other sports then it needs to be wide and sweeping like the old Hyde Road or many if the Polish tracks we are all so envious.

If you're telling me that no-one has put any thought into the track - how the hell can they design the stadium?

Now you really are being stupid.

• Like 1

It was stated by Chris Morton early on in the piece that the new Track would be built as close as was possible, using the old Hyde Road Track as an ideal model.. I have not seen anything contradicting that - so there is your answer.

If they can do that - they will have one hell of a Track. Believe me they have thought about the Track, and they fully realise it's importance to the new Stadium.

C'moooon the 'Aces'.

I presume you have only seen the 3D computer generated photos? There are detailed designs available here :

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/MCCList1.aspx?106133%2FFO%2F2014%2FN2

The track was the first thing to be designed by Chris Morton, it was the most important thing, Everything else was designed to fit around it. In fact when the plans had to be changed earlier this year due to a dispute over land the track stayed the same but they have had to remove terracing from the apex of the bends to still fit it in.

It was stated by Chris Morton early on in the piece that the new Track would be built as close as was possible, using the old Hyde Road Track as an ideal model.. I have not seen anything contradicting that - so there is your answer.

If they can do that - they will have one hell of a Track. Believe me they have thought about the Track, and they fully realise it's importance to the new Stadium.

C'moooon the 'Aces'.

He has never said it will be close to Hyde Road, that would be too difficult to do. There are elements from Hyde Road like the width and the straights will have a slight kink in them like Hyde Road did. It will more like a wider Bydgoszcz.

I presume you have only seen the 3D computer generated photos? There are detailed designs available here :

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/MCCList1.aspx?106133%2FFO%2F2014%2FN2

The track was the first thing to be designed by Chris Morton, it was the most important thing, Everything else was designed to fit around it. In fact when the plans had to be changed earlier this year due to a dispute over land the track stayed the same but they have had to remove terracing from the apex of the bends to still fit it in.

He has never said it will be close to Hyde Road, that would be too difficult to do. There are elements from Hyde Road like the width and the straights will have a slight kink in them like Hyde Road did. It will more like a wider Bydgoszcz.

Thank you for that Rob B. I stand corrected. I was sure I read somewhere, ages ago, that the Track was to be modelled on Hyde Road.

I obviously misremembered - age you know. :t::) :)