British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

From my vantage point in the bar, a very very rough estimate but I'd say somewhere in the region of 1000 there tonight. My first meeting in several months and pleasantly surprised by some of the racing but, at times, I did wonder if I'd stumbled into a library rather than sports stadium. Roll on the new stadium and decent vantage points outdoors!

Edited by Tkdandy

Your crowd was bound to drop. Not in the play offs, one off the bottom of the league, lost quite a few at home, it was on the telly, riders missing and you know how fickle Supporters are hopefully you will get some better crowds when the New Stadium built just for speedway is built and the sooner the better.

Not a regular at Belle Vue, went when the Brummies were there and a few times since you moved from the Great Hyde Road track over the years but the standard of the stadium has dropped in all that time, the sooner you move the better for all concerned the riders, the staff, the supporters and the Promoters, roll on 2016. :t:

• Like 1

Nice thought from Drop a Cog about Councils stumping up cash for a Stadium.

Dudley is now a one horse town (without the horse most days). The Council moan about how dead the night time economy is. In the meantime the Heathens still race in front of healthy crowds over 10 miles away.

Are the Council capable of stringling the two points together to come up with anything resembling a plan? Nope! (and that is in spite of many years pressure from fans and promoters alike).

I congratulate all at Belle Vue for winning the Council over but it does help if you start with a Council that has an interest in competitive sport and Manchester clearly fits that bill on all fronts.

Good luck with the development. I wish we were in the same position.

• Like 3

The thing is, councils are increasingly being encouraged to sell their assets on order to keep council tax bills down.

This makes is even more "strange" that Manchester City Council are prepared to borrow £6m, take on the risk of building a stadium and then leasing it to private company.

The thing is, councils are increasingly being encouraged to sell their assets on order to keep council tax bills down.

This makes is even more "strange" that Manchester City Council are prepared to borrow £6m, take on the risk of building a stadium and then leasing it to private company.

So do you want them to change their minds and pull the funding??

So do you want them to change their minds and pull the funding??

To right pull the funding cos this is heading to be one of the biggest white elephants there's been with british speedway in decline what use will the stadium be I suppose you could put a big top on the centre,green for a circus but would Morton need another fact finding mission to see to a circus

To right pull the funding cos this is heading to be one of the biggest white elephants there's been with british speedway in decline what use will the stadium be I suppose you could put a big top on the centre,green for a circus but would Morton need another fact finding mission to see to a circus

So after 7 years of hard work and against all expectations Belle Vue achieve something which may just help to save this sport we love. It will provide modern facilities that might just encourage newcomers to return and properly structured training facilities to encourage British talent and you want the council to pull the plug.

If everyone had that attitude the sport really would be doomed.

As for the pathetic comment about fact finding missions, only a fool would embark on such a major project without doing as much research as possible.

• Like 6

Nice thought from Drop a Cog about Councils stumping up cash for a Stadium.

Dudley is now a one horse town (without the horse most days). The Council moan about how dead the night time economy is. In the meantime the Heathens still race in front of healthy crowds over 10 miles away.

Are the Council capable of stringling the two points together to come up with anything resembling a plan? Nope! (and that is in spite of many years pressure from fans and promoters alike).

I congratulate all at Belle Vue for winning the Council over but it does help if you start with a Council that has an interest in competitive sport and Manchester clearly fits that bill on all fronts.

Good luck with the development. I wish we were in the same position.

I was under the impression that the local council were right behind the Heathens search for a new home?

Even with all the negative comments on this thread my only concern from day one was that the rest of British speedway wouldn't have the drive and vision to move the sport forward as The Aces are doing.

I hope with things finally falling into place with this fabulous project The Aces promotion can turn their attention to British Speedway as a whole.

It would however require other promotions to be equal to the task and meet of surpass the criterior set for them. I think it can be done wiiith the right mentality but it will certainly provide The Aces with another set of hurdles to overcome.

Join us, the futures bright.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever heard of a promoter doing any research?? at any track?? or seen the results??

You are the fool if you think these promoters have gone into this blind and not done the research.

That's the beauty of this plan, if it doesn't work we are no worse off, we can't survive at the current track. If it doesn't work out at the National Speedway Stadium it's the council left with the white elephant.

A stunning no lose position for The Aces.

Do you not think the council are going to want their money back whatever ?

Well one of the main gripes on this forum are crap old stadia and poor presentation. As soon as one track actually does something about it, the doom merchants on here switch tack to another form if attack. Thankfully there are 2 million people in Greater Manchester who don't read the whinging crap of about 10 posters on this forum, and a proportion of whom might actually go and watch.

Lets hope the promotion get the presentation right and give it some drama ( and 15 heats in 90 minutes or so)

Edited by jimmy jimmy
  • Like 3

You could almost envisage a situation where we are the only track running. It's happened before and we will always put on top level speedway for the British fans.

Once again we can lead the sport in this country towards better times and with the famous training school back up and running we can start producing FIM gold medalist once again plus quality league riders for the rest of the country to use.

I really believe we can have three or more ex Colts in the GP without having to resort to qualification hand outs, just as we did several years ago.

I can't wait.

• Like 4

It's astonishing that, when the forum is full of posters screaming for imagination and action to save the sport, some can only criticise a promotion who show imagination and take action in an effort to improve the sport. Really, really amazing.

I was under the impression that the local council were right behind the Heathens search for a new home?

You would think they would be, wouldn't you? However, the stunning lack of genuine progress in finding a new home since Dudley Wood closed its doors 19 years ago tells the true story. Speedway is an inconvenience and it seems even neighbouring Sandwell Council were more helpful in trying to find a site than Dudley Council. This ignores the fact that Heathens in a home of their own would possibly be the most watched speedway team in the country and easily the most popular sporting attraction in Dudley borough.

• Like 1

You are the fool if you think these promoters have gone into this blind and not done the research.

Well - It would be a clever person who could show research to indicate the sport was thriving, profitable or sustainable etc. . .

Well - It would be a clever person who could show research to indicate the sport was thriving, profitable or sustainable etc. . .

Maybe. If you read an earlier communiqué about this development, you would understand the many hoops that they have had to go through to get to this stage. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, but the critics will always be right. Easiest seat in the house.

• Like 3