British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

No wonder this forum is regarded so poorly with the cynicism and negativity that a seems to pervade most threads.

I prefer to be an optimistic realist. Plainly, the planning application stage is now very close for the Sports Village, which is a major project for the city. That is new news and a major step forward.

It's a catch 22. The promoters are criticised when there is no news and now, when they release details of another step on the way to achieving the new stadium.

• Like 7

Surely it's all about perception.

The PR says a landmark, I'd prefer it if it said another step on the way.

Promoters (all of them and commentators too) constantly overegg the pudding. Give us facts and we will make up our own minds if it's a Landmark or another step along the path.

• Like 3

No wonder this forum is regarded so poorly with the cynicism and negativity that a seems to pervade most threads.

whilst I agree with the general sentiment of you point it has to be said that you can to an extent understand the cynics view.

This is after all a project that was launched many years ago and was due for completion 3 years ago but as yet has not even been submitted for planning.

I hope and expect that it will happen but it is likely to be a number of years yet before a wheel is turned IMO.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

I prefer to be an optimistic realist. Plainly, the planning application stage is now very close for the Sports Village, which is a major project for the city. That is new news and a major step forward.

It's a catch 22. The promoters are criticised when there is no news and now, when they release details of another step on the way to achieving the new stadium.

If you're wondering why there's some cynicism and negativity hanging around, have a look at the following article ...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/speedway/belle-vue-hoping-to-host-2013-681359

In other words, it's taken 28 months of "making substantial progress" according to Dave Gordon in that article from February 2012 just to reach the stage where he now reckons it's a "massive step forward" that the locals can have a quick squint at what it might eventually look like.

Back in the 1990's, Durham cricket took only 5 years to go all the way from being a minor-county needing to build a suitable stadium to apply for first-class status (1990) ... to gaining that upgrade and becoming the 18th first-class county while still using club grounds for home matches (1992) ... to start playing home matches at their Riverside ground in Chester-le-Street (May 1995) that's gone on to host plenty of innternational matches including its first Ashes Test last year.

Yet Belle Vue, despite already being at its sport's top domestic level, has already used up nearly half of that Durham timeline just to showcase its sketchpad.

And you're still wondering why there's some cynicism and negativity hanging around ?

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

No, they are criticised for stating something is a big step, when it isn't.

There is no big step here. If and when it passes the planning application, that's a big step.

• Like 2

When the consultations start the NIMBYs gather.

Brace yourselves for some opposition with ridiculous arguements. Birmingham had the University complaining that the noise would prevent their students doing their studies during the evening (remind me when that ever happened!) and Cradley were faced with the 'fact' that Speedway bikes have to be revved constantly all through the meeting or the engines seize up.

At least the Aces have the Council on their side so they should be able to put a robust defence forward.

Best of luck to all involved. It's about time the profile of the sport was raised above some of the poor facilities that fans have to endure.

• Like 2

And while we're being all negative, I don't know why Gordon/Morton keep going off to have a look at Torun, if the artist impression is anything to go by they'd be better off going to the East of England Showground

• Like 1

SOME people on here still do not appreciate that what started out as plans for a new speedway stadium across the road from the present one became part and parcel of a much bigger regeneration project envisaged by Manchester City (the council) which subsequently also indirectly involved Manchester City (the football club).

As for messrs Gordon and Morton visiting Torun ... of course the new Belle Vue was never going to mirror Torun in terms of grandstands but what they hoped to learn from one of speedway's newest purpose-built stadiums was more to do with the actual track, drainage, media and rider facilities, etc.

Starting from scratch with the track they have the chance to do as much as possible to counter the great British weather which, as we are seeing so often this season, can play havoc with speedway in this country.

• Like 2

And while we're being all negative, I don't know why Gordon/Morton keep going off to have a look at Torun, if the artist impression is anything to go by they'd be better off going to the East of England Showground

I don't know about keep going off to Torun. I didn't know they were regular visitors.

The major influence on the track design is the Hyde Road track, regarded by many as the best track we've ever had in the UK. No need to go Peterborough.

• Like 1

Blimey!!!

I get accused of being negative and cynical. I could learn a lot on this Thread couldn't I?

Some of those Posting, I believe, don't want this to happen for some reason which I cannot fathom. Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. A Promotion is really trying to do something good/great for Speedway - and all some people can do is carp. Frankly it's pathetic.

Certainly it has taken a very long time to get this far and it may well take a very long time before Speedway moves in to the new Stadium. Councils do not move at a rate of knots, if they did the Stadium would have been built by now. Councils are always slow - and this is a very big development.

It saddens me to see such a reaction from people who profess to be Speedway Supporters - no the wonder the Sport is going down hill.

Finally - all you doubters and negative cynics on here - you need to remember one thing Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton were the men who had the VISION to go ahead with this Project. I would have thought that compliments for their efforts would be due - certainly NOT the abuse Posted on here.

Disgusted - Sunderland.

• Like 6

i agree with everything you so say TWK, however they have shot themselves in the foot a bit - they trumpeted big news and it isn't really is it?

its just given the naysayers plenty of ammo

They were, quite rightly, excited by the News from the Council. Perhaps they overreacted a bit - but - after so long waiting - is it any wonder?

Finally - all you doubters and negative cynics on here - you need to remember one thing Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton were the men who had the VISION to go ahead with this Project. I would have thought that compliments for their efforts would be due - certainly NOT the abuse Posted on here.

The fun really starts if/when the stadium's finally built because then clowns like Gordon/Morton either have to run it successfully themselves or successfully find the right people to run it for them.

Based on the way they've fumbled their way through the first 7 years of this project, don't hold your breath about them making the most of such an important development should it become a reality.

As I've said plenty of times on this forum before, I'm fully supportive of the idea of a National Speedway Stadium being established in a city with a speedway heritage like Manchester.

But I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the folk like Gordon/Morton currently being speedway's figureheads in this project and the overhyped trumpeting today of such a routine stage of the planning process by themselves and their lackeys utterly reinforces my opinion.

• Like 3

They were, quite rightly, excited by the News from the Council. Perhaps they overreacted a bit - but - after so long waiting - is it any wonder?

Yes it is any wonder because they are supposed to be professional businessmen, not kids all excited by talk of a new bike for Christmas.

If a press release was to be made, and the public should be kept as informed as possible, it only needed a few lines saying no further progress has been made to date but things are still happening. Building a nothing statement into a landmark event is just plain silly

• Like 2

The fun really starts if/when the stadium's finally built because then clowns like Gordon/Morton either have to run it successfully themselves or successfully find the right people to run it for them.

Based on the way they've fumbled their way through the first 7 years of this project, don't hold your breath about them making the most of such an important development should it become a reality.

As I've said plenty of times on this forum before, I'm fully supportive of the idea of a National Speedway Stadium being established in a city with a speedway heritage like Manchester.

But I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the folk like Gordon/Morton currently being speedway's figureheads in this project and the overhyped trumpeting today of such a routine stage of the planning process by themselves and their lackeys utterly reinforces my opinion.

I used to enjoy your Postings about Wimbledon and Oxford Arthur.

I do not, however, like your tone about Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton. What right do you personally have to call them Clowns - or perhaps YOU have designed a National Speedway Stadium - perhaps that's it.

I don't think so.

I hope I don't detect a Southern bias here. It seems like it to me.