British Speedway Forum

Coventry Meeting Day

The 2014 Autumn / Winter 'In Touch' news leaflet from Rugby Conservative Association was delivered to houses in the Rugby area today. The leaflet contained the following entry under the heading Planning: We all attended the pre application exhibition organised by the planning consultants Frampton's who want to build houses on Brandon Speedway, within the greenbelt. Phase one (approximately half the site) appeared to suggest 124 dwellings. Cllr Timms was quick to instruct them to remove the Rugby Borough Council logo from their publicity banner as there were clearly errors in the material they were presenting. Speedway fans, local residents, together with stock car enthusiasts were keen to express their concerns. This has been a successful sporting venue for many a year and it is being challenged on where an alternative venue could be located. Watch this space. (article end). Well its good to see a positive response from Rugby Conservative Association, which includes local Councillors Heather Timms and Tony Gillias. Heather is a local resident and keen speedway supporter, Tony is a former Coventry rider, Mayor of Rugby, and now Chairman of the Speedway Control Bureau.

• Like 2

It's good to read your confidence in your local Councillors, especially with the speedway connections, and we all hope that the Bees can be rehoused somewhere, but I never have the same confidence in local Councils.

They are generally made up of people who couldn't hack it in business so this becomes their route into power, plus extra income from some not inconsiderable expenses. Their hands are tied, especially now, by monetary constraints, and they are great people at telling people what they want to hear, even if they know in their own hearts that it can't possibly happen.

Your Mayor maybe able to apply some pressure, but how much longer will he be in office, and who will you get next?

I agree with Baz and have little time for most Politicians, particularly those in Government. I have seen my profession decimated by the Conservative party in the last four years. However, I do have confidence in Tony Gillias and Heather Timms. Tony is a very successful businessman and came into local politics fairly late on. I have spoken to him on a number of issues and believe he will fight to keep the stadium and oppose any planning application. I also know Heather fairly well and also believe she will fight the proposed housing application. Only time will tell, but in my view it's good to have at least two Councillors on side at this time.