British Speedway Forum

Coventry Meeting Day

Nice plans, get rid of the car park first, lack of reptiles on site wont help, needed some newts really. Sorry I couldent get there I had something on in birmingham at 12 noon.

What was the reaction from the locals did they seem happy about the housing plans, hope not then we could get some of them on side as well.

Have the Frampton company got any land near by that could be used for a stadium if the worst happened and would they be interested in helping to keep the sport alive in the area or other parts of Coventry or Rugby.

The speedway, stocks and residents are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Spoke to a guy who had no interest in the stocks/speedway but wants the stadium to stay and he said thats how all the locals he knows feel. He is happy to work with us and even got door knocking with leaflets and petitions.

Today was pretty good from our POV IMO. We got together, we chatted, they got nothing out of it really.

Would turning Brandon into a historical site hinder it's chances for future modernisation or would any future improvements have to be done within it's existing shell?

They can't modernize it anyway. When Sandhu took over 10 year ago he tried to permission to do various things from new speedway and stocks workshops, tidying up the back straight grand stand and dog kennels to just moving a few things around and all were turned down.

Suggestion I've seen on another forum - just repeating it for reference!

"I am not a great speedway supporter but I would hate to lose the sport from this city, however if the proposed development at Brandon does go ahead an alternative venue is needed. My ideal location would be at the Royal Showground or NAC at Stoneleigh.

Good road network

Plenty of parking

Utilities in place

Hotel on site

No nearby housing

This site is ideal and could host other actives eg. greyhounds, show jumping etc. The now defunct Grand Ring would make into the track and the site is in much need of development.

This would be very similar to the East of England showground which I believe Peterborough use very successfully.

Perhaps my ideas could be passed on to anyone who has more interest in the sport than I do and who knows what could come of it."

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1

Suggestion I've seen on another forum - just repeating it for reference!

"I am not a great speedway supporter but I would hate to lose the sport from this city, however if the proposed development at Brandon does go ahead an alternative venue is needed. My ideal location would be at the Royal Showground or NAC at Stoneleigh.

Good road network

Plenty of parking

Utilities in place

Hotel on site

No nearby housing

This site is ideal and could host other actives eg. greyhounds, show jumping etc. The now defunct Grand Ring would make into the track and the site is in much need of development.

This would be very similar to the East of England showground which I believe Peterborough use very successfully.

Perhaps my ideas could be passed on to anyone who has more interest in the sport than I do and who knows what could come of it."

That site has been mentioned on more than one occasion recently.

Thinking about it ,the crick development of 6,000 houses must give rugby its housing stock for a number of years plus there are other big numbers of houses to be built at cawston ,one of 600 and another of 250 ,both of which are further ahead in the planning permission stakes than Brandon ,it all does give hope to the defence of speedway at the site.

Sounds good.

Does anyone know if the Tollbar Island roadworks will be finished by 2017? :)

Autumn 2016, and it's ahead of schedule. You could always have a look at the rat runs avoiding Toll Bar, The Fosse Way being an excellent example for south /south west routes from Leicester.

I'm bad enough now at directions so no chance of me finding a different route. Anyway by 2017 I'll only be three years off 80 and the only driving I'll be doing then is in a mobility scooter. :D

• Like 1

If you fancy hearing and indeed asking Mick Horton what his thoughts are for the future of Brandon he is at the NSSC on Tuesday night.

Everybody is welcome, £3 charge for non-members. All monies raised are used to support young British riders.

http://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk/

Edited by oleoleole

I should think it will also be a major subject in Monday night's annual 'Tapes Up Forum' on CWR.

6:00 pm to 7:00.

You will be able to 'Listen Live' and also contribute via text questions to the panel which includes Mick Horton & Laurence Rogers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbccoventryandwarwickshire

ATB

Dave

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 2

I should think it will also be a major subject in Monday night's annual 'Tapes Up Forum' on CWR.

6:00 pm to 7:00.

You will be able to 'Listen Live' and also contribute via text questions to the panel which includes Mick Horton & Laurence Rogers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbccoventryandwarwickshire

ATB

Dave

Thanks for the reminder!