British Speedway Forum

It Is Time To Get Shot Of Mr Watt!

Agree most strongly enough is enough, fed up with him taking the p**s out of the fans, if we let Pk go then Watt should be shown equal treatment.

Why would he be taking the P out of the fans the guy is in it to earn a living, he's having a rough time at the minute as every rider has at some point.

But then SOME fans who have not raced a bike wouldn't have a clue anyway #fact

• Like 5

Why would he be taking the P out of the fans the guy is in it to earn a living, he's having a rough time at the minute as every rider has at some point.

#OPINION (and that's a #fact)

The whole thing about riders now being paid regardless of what they score completely undermines any past arguments of if riders do not score they don't get paid, if PK was on a large fixed wage then you can bet Watt is too.

On your second point yes a lot of fans have never even sat on a bike, i have raced speedway bikes a few years ago in the amateur scene and still own two bikes not that it matters because some team managers have never been on any motorbike yet alone a speedway bike but still hold their position.

If this was football which it clearly is not, there might even be accusations of match fixing flying around.

I am not knocking Watt as a rider, and believe he can perform to a decent standard, but you have to question his performance's against Poole. They have been consistently poor. When was the last time Watt scored decent points against them. Its not just him, It appears to the man on the terraces, Ford has this condition written into any loan contract, and the saying of 'Any Poole rider is always a Poole rider' come too the fore. It says a lot about the strength of the club, but, at the same time, insults the integrity of the fans and the sport.

In my opinion, one of the reason;s why the asset system is flawed...

Riders should be paid on points only, and an appearance fee to cover travel costs and minimum wage for the duration of the night only. I thought these guys were meant to be sportsmen? They should be earning money from "elite" performances.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this one. Davey is a top notch guy and I can't imagine him ever wanting to intentionally put in a bad performance for his home club. Perhaps Poole has become somewhat of a mentally strenuous challenge for Davey? A history of troubling performances along with criticism for the fans every occasion he riders there... can't be the best mind set to go into a meeting on!

Then again I do remember him guesting for Poole in place of CH or DW in 2012/13 and putting in a 15pt maximum...

Let's try to get some grown up perspective on this rather than sniping guesswork without knowing all the facts.

If you compare with Wolves, Tai and PK have bektween them dropped their combined averages by over 3points this year and both finish up in the same side. Not a single post from anyone suggesting some kind of fiddle because most sensible fans accept these things happen and ultimately it is variations in form that make the sport interesting. But if the Wofy/PK situation happened at Poole the forum would be in uproar .

Personally I can't see many redeeming qualities in Matt Ford and the man has too much past form for me to warm to him at all. But that doesn't automatically mean that Poole is so awash with money to be able to start paying big bribes to every promoter and rider he wants to manipulate even though he might thought to be capable of of such behaviour.

If Davey wanted to cause Lakeside to drop points to help Poole there are far more subtle ways he could do it without drawing attention. He has pretty much led from the front in his time at Lakeside and pulled more than a few matches out of the bag with some great heat 15 rides when the rest of the team had underperformed. All he needed to do if he was going to cheat is drop points in those rnaces and nobody would know any different. I see Davey at closer quarters than most fans each week and I see the enthusiasm he generates that rubs off on the team and have seen the encouragement and, help he gives to younger riders. He does far more than a lot of captains, many of whom think a captains job is simply tossing the coin. When Davey missed a meeting through injury recently he was still in the pits helping the team when he could have stayed at home. It does not seem to me that a committed captain and team man like Davey would blatantly throw a couple of races at Poole when there are so many other more subtle ways he could cause Lakeside to drop points if he wanted to.

So I don't think Davey is deliberately throwing races at Poole . He has unfortunately been thrown into the No1 role because the rider signed as No1underperformed and he is really more of a second heatleader than a first when he goes away from his home track. But these failures at Poole do not look good and Davey, together with his promoter needs to get it sorted.

• Like 2

Really don't get this - look at his races last night and I think he scored what you'd expect, given the opposition:-

Heat 1 - last out of an unfavourable outside gate. Even Darcy didn't beat Lawson

Heat 6 - 1-5 with Rory, so no complaints there, I suppose

Heat 11 - 2-4 with Nilsson and I thought that he actually created the opportunity for Nilsson to go round the outside with some hard riding

Heat 15 - Last, beaten by Darcy, Janowski and Rory. A great ride by Darcy in that one.

So please tell me where he threw away points, because I fail to see it.

• Like 4

Really don't get this - look at his races last night and I think he scored what you'd expect, given the opposition:-

Heat 1 - last out of an unfavourable outside gate. Even Darcy didn't beat Lawson

Heat 6 - 1-5 with Rory, so no complaints there, I suppose

Heat 11 - 2-4 with Nilsson and I thought that he actually created the opportunity for Nilsson to go round the outside with some hard riding

Heat 15 - Last, beaten by Darcy, Janowski and Rory. A great ride by Darcy in that one.

So please tell me where he threw away points, because I fail to see it.

Great summary ABS. I thought Davey actually rode very well last night - just wasn't rewarded by enough points, and that applies to all the Lakeside riders!!

As I said before, teams will not usually win meetings if none of the riders get double figure scores - but that doesn't mean they rode poorly!!

Edited by Skidder1

The telling thing is the only people who stick up for Davey Watt are Poole fans who are clever enough to know he is worth more to them as an away rider than riding for the Pirates themselves.

Even the most partisan Hammers fans are now starting to see through this whole charade.

The telling thing is the only people who stick up for Davey Watt are Poole fans who are clever enough to know he is worth more to them as an away rider than riding for the Pirates themselves.

Even the most partisan Hammers fans are now starting to see through this whole charade.

I am not a Poole fan, I am a Lakeside fan and I probably know him better than most. I don't think he is taking back handlers from Ford. He has some right howlers on away tracks, and always has done but when you look at his performances overall in his 3 years with Lakeside they are as good as any other 3year period in his career. There will always be suspicion in anything remotely connected with Matt Ford, which is not surprising given Ford's past record but as I said before if Davey wanted to cause Lakeside to drop points there are more subtle ways he could do it.

Well I'm a Belle Vue fan and am just telling it as I saw it last night. No doubt Davey will hit form on Friday against us!!

Now you're just being silly. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Poole, but this isn't one of them.

• Like 2