British Speedway Forum

Cradley Heathens V Buxton Hitmen - National League (29/04/14)

Hunty

http://www.ommerum.co.uk/2014/04/preview-cradley-heathens-v-buxton.html

Lastest post on my blog... Should be a simple victory this one but when looking at this years league its becoming more and more a two tiered league.

Even as a Cradley fan I belive we should be having teams simlar to what Buxton have put out this year with the empahsis on young three pointers. Something needs to be done sooner rather than later as this league is going to become a bit micky mouse with some high flyers and some teams that in my opinion are doing it the right way!

You may have seen I've been quite critical of the Scunny approach this year but I am not going to say the same about Buxton.

I agree that the NL is there to develop promising young riders and I was right behind the Elite League changes this season. I think it will be good for British Speedway.

Whereas I believe Scunny are doing it wrong at the expense of others in the League due their tracking of 6 3 pointers, I am far more comfortable with Buxton's approach in mixing youth with experience. It might be a right 'ommering tomorrow but I applaud Jayne Moss and her colleagues in even coming to the tapes this year.

They run their club on a very tight budget and have survived the additional cost for the air fence somehow. The League is better for having them in it.

I hope Buxton surprise a few as the season progresses.

• Like 2

I applaud scunny and Buxton in there efforts but our objective to there's is on a different level.whose right? I have no idea but I know tomorrows meeting is not worth my money. Therefore I'm off work this week so I'm off up the beacon instead. I salute the fans who support the meeting regardless of opposition and entertainment but to me my money is hard earned so if a couple of pints is more meaningful to me than a processional speedway meeting then that's my choice. I'm not saying I'm right it's just my choice

• Like 2

Hope they had a good crowd and not too many followed Bruno's example as they would need deep pockets to fork out the points money that tonight cost. From the updates, it looked like the Buxton riders tried to mix it but lack of racing and away from home counted against them.

Before everyone starts complaining about teams being weak again. Cradley fans: did you enjoy the meeting? Was the racing good or was it gate and go stuff?

First heat was a belter, then we had proberbly two other heats where Carr and Atkin had a bash at stopping the 5-1's but failed.

Young Woolley got a second place and the Heathens fans mocked with cheers.

It was predicatble and underwhelming and something has got to be done to make the teams more consistant. Ive said on my twitter feed that the league needs a Maximum points limit that is around 38points and then a Minimum points limit around 35 points to bring the teams in line and the quality between them all is spread out.

Its no-ones fault as the rules are now set in stone for this season but it was clear to see from the off a now a two tiered league is now developing.

This league is and should always be about brining young british riders through, however if its not competative then you might aswell have practice nights which in reality was what this meeting was tonight. Buxton in there first meeting and they got nowhere near the Heathens at all who were just flying around with no pressure and filling there boots. 83 points the Heathens management will have to pay tonight and if they are sticking to the £10 a point rule then they better hope the crowds do keep coming as there wont be much left to build a stadium if that ever happens!

Edited by Ommer UM Speedway Blog
  • Like 1

You may have seen I've been quite critical of the Scunny approach this year but I am not going to say the same about Buxton.

Whereas I believe Scunny are doing it wrong at the expense of others in the League due their tracking of 6 3 pointers, I am far more comfortable with Buxton's approach in mixing youth with experience. It might be a right 'ommering tomorrow but I applaud Jayne Moss and her colleagues in even coming to the tapes this year.

That right mix or youth and experience worked a treat eh!!!!

• Like 1

Before everyone starts complaining about teams being weak again. Cradley fans: did you enjoy the meeting? Was the racing good or was it gate and go stuff?

My first NL meeting this year due to logistics, it was actually worse than i expected, the first heat was competitive, there were maybe 2 others of interest ie Buxton did better than 3rd place, that was it. Even in the reserves races there were big gaps between riders, yes maybe its competitive in the broadest sense of the word, but its not exciting, a little word of advice for Ryan when he next comes to Monmore, ride the inside line, just as if its Buxton on a difficult day, he will find that its much easier, and better to let the guys behind do the risky stuff to get past.

• Like 1

One thing I would like to know without been jumped on etc is Why the heck did the Cradley Team Manager when so far ahead give the 2 most experienced guys (Starke and Worrall) Heat 15. Surely times like this it would have been More to the benefit long term of Cradley to give the likes of Clegg, Greaves or Williamson more track time??

• Like 4

One thing I would like to know without been jumped on etc is Why the heck did the Cradley Team Manager when so far ahead give the 2 most experienced guys (Starke and Worrall) Heat 15. Surely times like this it would have been More to the benefit long term of Cradley to give the likes of Clegg, Greaves or Williamson more track time??

Yep i agree he could have used Clegg or/and Williamson, but Im never sure who can or who cant be used in Ht 15. I think in all 5 riders got maximums or paid max,s the other being Perry.

maybe a maximum pay rate may help to equalize the teams?

say something like 10 pound a point...?

if everyone had to pay that then surely that would mean riders wouldnt choose to go to the highest payers thus spreading around the talent available and making the racing more competitive..?

oh, hang on, just realised, that already exists.... :o

zero sympathy for those teams who pay out far more than the standard rate to attract the best riders out there for each position in the team, then amazingly moan that the meetings are 'one sided'...

how in all reality, can they be surprised....?

each team has its own business plan in the NL with widely different objectives, finding a 'happy medium' would be I suggest nigh on impossible given the diversity of what success looks like for each team..

• Like 1