British Speedway Forum

British Semi-finals

Not the best of meetings, but a spirited performance from a few. Impressed with Blackbird, who's really come on. Pleased to see Steve Boxall & Jason Garrity through. Rider who really caught my eye was Stefan Nielsen. Took a few chances, but deservedly grabbed a reserve berth. I hope Silver took him to one side and offered him a team place. Rides the track well and would certainly entertain.

Can't believe the chippy ran out of everything but chips before heat 4. They must've expected a larger than normal attendance. No wipes in the gents under the Tempstand. Tut tut!!

• Like 1

Not the best of meetings, but a spirited performance from a few. Impressed with Blackbird, who's really come on. Pleased to see Steve Boxall & Jason Garrity through. Rider who really caught my eye was Stefan Nielsen. Took a few chances, but deservedly grabbed a reserve berth. I hope Silver took him to one side and offered him a team place. Rides the track well and would certainly entertain.

Can't believe the chippy ran out of everything but chips before heat 4. They must've expected a larger than normal attendance. No wipes in the gents under the Tempstand. Tut tut!!

The chippy ran out before heat 1 :nono:

Rye House shouldn't get these big individual meetings, because the track is crap.

Yeah, let's have every major meeting at Peterborough. Better still, close down all the other PL tracks and have every meeting there. Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

So Edward Kennett and Stefan Nielsen come 8th in the various semi-finals. Will the BSPA or whoever decides on the Wildcards do the decent thing and put them both through?

No, Lanham finished 8th, scored equal points with Nielsen but beat him in their race together. So really if we're going down the fair route then Leigh should be through to the final.

Edited by skj

No, Lanham finished 8th, scored equal points with Nielsen but beat him in their race together. So really if we're going down the fair route then Leigh should be through to the final.

I take it you missed the run-off then? :/
  • Like 2

that line -up for a British final must be one of the lowest quality ever run. Tai is on a hiding to nothing if he does not win it.Good Luck to all the riders though.

Maybe so but its just as strong as last year maybe even slightly stronger with Stead, Lawson and Bridger absent last year.

There was no mention of it on the updates, so I presumed it just went on count back.

Quite a few headed for the exits after heat 20 before the run off was announced

I see! Did find it strange there was one at all. No space in the Sheffield programme for it in our leg. Just the usual heat as well as a final that never came to light.

Leigh Lanham led from the tapes, but Stefan Nielsen shot past him on the back straight. May have been lap 2

Yes they could do the "right" thing and give the w/c to the 8th placed riders but why not give it to 2 under 21 riders so they gain experience of a "big" event. eg Bates and Ellis, as they came 1st and 2nd in under 21 final. Or do what they do in Sweden and have a 4 man runoff before the 1st heat and the top 2 go into the main event. Kennett, Nielsen, Bates and Ellis. 3rd and 4th are meeting reserves.

Shadders, where did I mention holding the meeting at Peterborough ? Most tracks would be better than Rye House. Notice you didn't try & defend the track, although that would be difficult after last night. Only having the option of chips to eat, & all bars running out of cans of beer added to the reason the event should be moved to a more organised promotion in my opinion. Just to add, the barmaid did tell us that somebody had gone to the supermarket to buy some more cans, but she didn't think they would be cold.

Yes they could do the "right" thing and give the w/c to the 8th placed riders but why not give it to 2 under 21 riders so they gain experience of a "big" event. eg Bates and Ellis, as they came 1st and 2nd in under 21 final. Or do what they do in Sweden and have a 4 man runoff before the 1st heat and the top 2 go into the main event. Kennett, Nielsen, Bates and Ellis. 3rd and 4th are meeting reserves.

Or just give it to both 8ths places. It's speedway, a sport. Not a charity. Let Ellis and Bates qualify themselves when they're good enough. nominating PL reserves (#7s in fact!) for the British Championship is madness IMO.