British Speedway Forum

April 26: European Fim Speedway Grand Prix (bydgoszcz, Poland)

The silence answers the question. Bring the ticket prices down to just above Polish league meeting costs and you will pack out every Polish GP

Price for this years GP was the same as last years which had a healthy attendance.Don't forget since 2010 Bydgoszcz have erected extra grandstands so they could fit more people in due to the stadium capacity not being big enough in previous years,

Indeed, Phil Rising already told us the real reason the crowd was down. It was because there was a knockabout basketball game in a school hall somewhere nearby. That seems a reasonable explanation for the best part of 20,000 missing fans to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF you are going to quote me then please do so accurately... I posted that the promoters believed the clash with a basketball match (not, incidentally, a knockabout game in a school hall) was just one of many contributing factors including the non-appearance of Tomasz Gollob and (to a lesser extent) Emil Sayfutdinov, a general apathy towards speedway in a recession hit Bydgoszcz, inclement weather, the price of tickets and, in the eyes of some but not all, the perceived war between BSI and OneSport.

Can you suggest "some of these other places" BSI could go and receive the equivalent staging fees they get from Poland ?

Sorry been away from my computer as its the bank Holiday. Easy run the European round in the UK and one in the states as i keep saying. Soon find another country to cover the third round and after a few years the Poles will come back with cap in hand.

IF you are going to quote me then please do so accurately... I posted that the promoters believed the clash with a basketball match (not, incidentally, a knockabout game in a school hall) was just one of many contributing factors including the non-appearance of Tomasz Gollob and (to a lesser extent) Emil Sayfutdinov, a general apathy towards speedway in a recession hit Bydgoszcz, inclement weather, the price of tickets and, in the eyes of some but not all, the perceived war between BSI and OneSport.

I am sure the Gollob/ Sayfutinov/weather and cost factors all played a part, a very small part though. The real reason being that the sheep like Poles have fallen for the one sport propaganda and staged what was effectively a boycott.

It is a shame that OneSport couldn't see the value of having "Emil Sayfutinov World Champion" in their own series rather than deny the lad a chance at being such

• Like 2

I am sure the Gollob/ Sayfutinov/weather and cost factors all played a part, a very small part though. The real reason being that the sheep like Poles have fallen for the one sport propaganda and staged what was effectively a boycott.

It is a shame that OneSport couldn't see the value of having "Emil Sayfutinov World Champion" in their own series rather than deny the lad a chance at being such

Indeed i think you are 100 % correct. As i said in my previous post the Poles want there cake and eat it. BSI/IMG should stick two fingers up and look elsewhere. IMG are big enough to lose a bit while they replace poland in the long term. Faults on both sides with this but BSI should now fight there corner.

Wonder just how big this basketball match was.The average attendance for the top mens league,which is the top league in Poland is only about 2,000.This match in Bydgoszcz ,was though,a womens game!!So you wouldn't expect it to be too popular and i'd hazzard a guess you'd have to have about 50% or more of the basketball crowd deciding to miss the SGP for it to make much of a difference to the speedway,which hardly seems likely

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

There is a big recession in the city and the crowds for league matches there have been dwindling. Gollob and Emil certainly was a factor along with the Onesport deal. You can enter some Polish league meetings for £6. Tickets for decent seats were at least 5x that so i struggle to see the argument if they lowered the pricing that more wouldn't have showed up

Sorry been away from my computer as its the bank Holiday. Easy run the European round in the UK and one in the states as i keep saying. Soon find another country to cover the third round and after a few years the Poles will come back with cap in hand.

Maybe you could be the Bill Buckley type figure to make a GP in the US happen. Without one you can forget it !

Easy run the European round in the UK and one in the states as i keep saying.

Someone in the States would need to put up the money unless BSI are prepared to take a bath. Polish venues were reputedly paying a lot to host GPs, and a US round would have higher costs on top.

After the experiences of Bill Buckley, I wonder how many promoters around are willing to lose money for fun?

Maybe you could be the Bill Buckley type figure to make a GP in the US happen. Without one you can forget it !

I see no reason why a US one wont suceed. Put it on same weekend as the Supercross in say Daytona or Vegas. The americans watch anything with an engine and this is a whole weekend of motorsport. 45000 plus attendance and a lot of Euros would go as not to far. I would put a few hundred grand into this as believe it would make good money.

I see no reason why a US one wont suceed. Put it on same weekend as the Supercross in say Daytona or Vegas. The americans watch anything with an engine and this is a whole weekend of motorsport. 45000 plus attendance and a lot of Euros would go as not to far. I would put a few hundred grand into this as believe it would make good money.

Not so sure on that one, they certainly didn't want to watch the 1982 world final

Not so sure on that one, they certainly didn't want to watch the 1982 world final

As it wasnt marketed correctly i expect. Put it on with another event as i said and people will watch it as they are there already. Monster are the series sponsor of supercross and speedway so theres one to start with. Bring in a few more big sponsors and some smaller ones and your half way there.

Hagon are doing a bit in states so they might come in to. We would come on board for this too. Got a be better than Poland :P

BSI/IMG failed to bring a fresh face, that's a young Polish pretender, into the 2014 SGP series as a direct replacement for Gollob. Now there are only two Polish riders in it, Hampel and Kasprzak. A third Polish rider would have been desireable, with three GPs being staged in Poland. Harris replacing Gollob wasn't greeted with applause over there.

BSI/IMG failed to bring a fresh face, that's a young Polish pretender, into the 2014 SGP series as a direct replacement for Gollob. Now there are only two Polish riders in it, Hampel and Kasprzak. A third Polish rider would have been desireable, with three GPs being staged in Poland. Harris replacing Gollob wasn't greeted with applause over there.

If you ask me, they should have given given the wild card to someone like Premyzalaw Pawlicki or Patryk Dudek already from the beginning.

His invitation certainly wasnt welcomed by many in GB
  • Like 2

But bsi didnt have the option of bringing in a young pole once gollob pulled out. The rules stated it had to go to harris. Not sure if fim or bsi set those rules.

If you ask me, they should have given given the wild card to someone like Premyzalaw Pawlicki or Patryk Dudek already from the beginning.

Plenty argued that at the time, but in fairness it would have been a huge call not to pick gollob. Can imagine the outcry in poland.

Plenty argued that at the time, but in fairness it would have been a huge call not to pick gollob. Can imagine the outcry in poland.

But bsi didnt have the option of bringing in a young pole once gollob pulled out. The rules stated it had to go to harris. Not sure if fim or bsi set those rules.

IT was and is an FIM rule that saw Harris get in after Gollob had withdrawn...

IT was and is an FIM rule that saw Harris get in after Gollob had withdrawn...