British Speedway Forum

Robert Lambert Mouthing Off In The Star. Oh Dear.

Definitely agree with a comment made earlier that Morris, Rossiter & Lyon need to get with Lambert and his party & go over it. The BSPA (& to a point, rightly so) won't give a flying fook to Lambert's opinion. The league structures and costs are the top priorities of the BSPA.

Those leading the line for GB have a responsibility to bringing youngsters in line & being available at all times to sort these issues. Also, giving Lambert Woffinden's phone No' & vice versa could be a huge factor.

• Like 1

Could've fooled me! Any way give the Kid a break, He'll do whats best for his career as anyone would.

If you'd bother to actually read the thread you will see very few people are having a go at him, just disagreeing with he and his families claims. Most actually want to see him succeed.

Those leading the line for GB have a responsibility to bringing youngsters in line & being available at all times to sort these issues. Also, giving Lambert Woffinden's phone No' & vice versa could be a huge factor.

Lets not forget Woffy once claimed the BSPA did nothing for him and he was going to switch to being Australian. He got a lot of stick, now look at him, he can walk on water in the minds of most GB fans now! Young riders (people) are good at stropping, sulking and ranting. Just leave him to it, he'll come around eventually, just like Woffy.

TBH looking at the U21 field, if i was Lambert i wouldnt bother with it either. My guess the BSPA are more interested in getting Lambert there as a selling point. The day of the field being worth admittence are long gone.

• Like 1

TBH looking at the U21 field, if i was Lambert i wouldnt bother with it either. My guess the BSPA are more interested in getting Lambert there as a selling point. The day of the field being worth admittence are long gone.

That isn't the issue. If Lambert had taken your line and said something like " I don't want to ride in the British u/21 's because I am looking for a higher standard of competition" I doubt whether anyone would seriously complain. But that's not the reason he gives. He is throwing a strop because there is a BSPA rule that riders under the age of 15 are not allowed to race 500cc machines, and he thought the rule should be waived especially for him. It no different to claiming that he should be allowed to hold a driving licence under the age of 16 because he thinks he is a good driver/rider.

Speedway Star are as much to blame for even giving him time of day but it doesn't alter the fact that it was a very ill-advised comment to make and shows neither him nor his parents in a very good light,

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 6

I cant see how any blame can lay with the Speedway Star.

Often the critisism is that it simply reworks press releases rather than offer real journalistic stories.

Well here is a real story and one that could have bearing on future GB success.

Dont shoot the messenger as they say.

• Like 1

I cant see how any blame can lay with the Speedway Star.

Often the critisism is that it simply reworks press releases rather than offer real journalistic stories.

Well here is a real story and one that could have bearing on future GB success.

Dont shoot the messenger as they say.

You should know by now the Speedway Star canny do owt right for certain ones on here .

It no different to claiming that he should be allowed to hold a driving licence under the age of 16 because he thinks he is a good driver/rider.

Is he allowed to drive around on the roads in a small car then until he is 16,but not a proper one ?Think there is a big difference with your example.He is allowed to ride motorbikes in races.He is even allowed to ride a 500cc motorbike around the track,just not when anyone else in out on the track at the same time.Not sure anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to drive a car around just so long as the streets are empty!!! :blink: Given the amount of youngsters who ride speedway under the age of 15 i think it would be fairly easy to have a competence test for anyone who wanted to ride.Not quite so easy to do the same for all those 100,000s of kids who might want to drive a car.Not the same at all

Is he allowed to drive around on the roads in a small car then until he is 16,but not a proper one ?Think there is a big difference with your example.He is allowed to ride motorbikes in races.

On the roads in the UK a 15 year old can ride a 50cc bike. A 17 year old can ride a 125cc. A 19 year old can ride a 395cc. A 21 year old can ride a 595cc and finally once you're 24 you can ride anything.

So it would be like Robert asking to ride something bigger than a 50cc bike on the road in the UK because he's good at it.

Is he allowed to drive around on the roads in a small car then until he is 16,but not a proper one ?Think there is a big difference with your example.He is allowed to ride motorbikes in races.He is even allowed to ride a 500cc motorbike around the track,just not when anyone else in out on the track at the same time.Not sure anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to drive a car around just so long as the streets are empty!!! :blink: Given the amount of youngsters who ride speedway under the age of 15 i think it would be fairly easy to have a competence test for anyone who wanted to ride.Not quite so easy to do the same for all those 100,000s of kids who might want to drive a car.Not the same at all

This thread would have died out a long time ago but for your inane defence of a defenceless position.

• Like 1

On the roads in the UK a 15 year old can ride a 50cc bike. A 17 year old can ride a 125cc. A 19 year old can ride a 395cc. A 21 year old can ride a 595cc and finally once you're 24 you can ride anything.

So it would be like Robert asking to ride something bigger than a 50cc bike on the road in the UK because he's good at it.

Just going by Addios statement that you can't hold a driving licence under the age of 16.You have proved him and me wrong :t:But like i said a competence test for the 20 or 30 youngsters who might want to race a 500cc is a hell of a lot less complicated than the 100s of thousands who might want to do so on the road

This thread would have died out a long time ago but for your inane defence of a defenceless position.

That could be said of you and about 20 or 50 threads :rofl: Pot,kettle + black anyone?

Edited by iris123

Just going by Addios statement that you can't hold a driving licence under the age of 16.You have proved him and me wrong :t:But like i said a competence test for the 20 or 30 youngsters who might want to race a 500cc is a hell of a lot less complicated than the 100s of thousands who might want to do so on the road

Turns out it is 16. I just made the assumption that school kids ride them it was 15 but obviously some people will spend there last year of school as 16 year olds so El Eddios was right on the 16 thing.

No he hasn't SCB has it wrong, the minimum age for a moped is 16.

However I think that the SCB have it right with their refusal to make exceptions on age limits for riders to compete against adults. 15 is plenty young enough and as soon as you make an exception, say for Robert then the queue will form for others to be excepted. Robert might cope but how can you decide who can? Is the cut off a half second a lap slower than Robert or 1 second? Whatever it was somebody would be upset at being refused.

He's a young kid who let his mouth run away with him a bit, not the end of the world and no doubt as he matures he will learn just like most of us did.

• Like 2

No he hasn't SCB has it wrong, the minimum age for a moped is 16.

However I think that the SCB have it right with their refusal to make exceptions on age limits for riders to compete against adults. 15 is plenty young enough and as soon as you make an exception, say for Robert then the queue will form for others to be excepted. Robert might cope but how can you decide who can? Is the cut off a half second a lap slower than Robert or 1 second? Whatever it was somebody would be upset at being refused.

He's a young kid who let his mouth run away with him a bit, not the end of the world and no doubt as he matures he will learn just like most of us did.

It isn't easy,but i do think in the case of speedway where we are dealing with such small numbers there could be a deal of flexibility.These things are all different in the speedway world as well as in real world.SCB states that even at the age of 19 you can't ride a 500cc on the road,but could be speedway world champion.But i do understand that you make an exception and where do you draw the line.My personal opinion is if a rider can do 4 laps of a track on a 500cc in a NL standard time on any given track then he should be ready.If someone can't then they ain't

That could be said of you and about 20 or 50 threads :rofl: Pot,kettle + black anyone?

Wrong, as I generally have a position to defend and am able to defend it without tying myself in knots.

There is simply nothing for you to defend here. Lambert was not victimised. He simply had to abide by the rules that every other young budding speedway rider in the country had to abide by.

It isn't easy,but i do think in the case of speedway where we are dealing with such small numbers there could be a deal of flexibility.These things are all different in the speedway world as well as in real world.SCB states that even at the age of 19 you can't ride a 500cc on the road,but could be speedway world champion.But i do understand that you make an exception and where do you draw the line.My personal opinion is if a rider can do 4 laps of a track on a 500cc in a NL standard time on any given track then he should be ready.If someone can't then they ain't

All well and good until the first time the 14 year old is injured or causes the injury to another rider.

The rule in place is 100% sensible. It seems the only people who disagree with this are you and the Lamberts.

• Like 1

Wrong, as I generally have a position to defend and am able to defend it without tying myself in knots.

There is simply nothing for you to defend here. Lambert was not victimised. He simply had to abide by the rules that every other young budding speedway rider in the country had to abide by.

All well and good until the first time the 14 year old is injured or causes the injury to another rider.

The rule in place is 100% sensible. It seems the only people who disagree with this are you and the Lamberts.

Absolutely 100% correct... :t:

• Like 1

Or the Germans.......in all my time here i have never seen or heard of such an incident tbh.The one incident that comes to mind with a "junior" rider was the unfortunate accident involving Sönke Petersen who rode for a number of years on 500cc from the age of 14 until the sad day when he was about 20 years old he came off his bike and went feet first into a fence,.Sadly a rider can have a bad accident on any bike and at any age

• Like 1

Or the Germans.......in all my time here i have never seen or heard of such an incident tbh.The one incident that comes to mind with a "junior" rider was the unfortunate accident involving Sönke Petersen who rode for a number of years on 500cc from the age of 14 until the sad day when he was about 20 years old he came off his bike and went feet first into a fence,.Sadly a rider can have a bad accident on any bike and at any age

So, best to have a rule in place for the younger ones then!!!!