British Speedway Forum

James Wright - Making A Comeback?

For me, James is he biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. I don't know what went wrong but my God it did. the way he used to pick off the opposition in his Workington days was a sight to behold. I was a semi-regular at Workington in them days and I used to pray he'd miss the start and he often did but he'd often finish a race either nicking a win on the line or all over the guy in front. A real joy to watch.

Usual boring response. 'If you can do any better get out and have a go'. This is what these guys do, I dont. James Wright is rubbish and quite frankly I hope he does not make another return, because he would be just as rubbish as he was before.

(Mod Note: Thanks for removing the abusive bit :t:)

how very dare you.....

never forget .....

'they only do it for our entertainment'.....

so all please stop giving objective, considered opinions, based solely on logic and historical facts that smack you squarely in the face please,,

errr,, oh yes, another one, we are not football fans you know.... ;)

• Like 2

so if james is riding in rustys meeting, just who is he replacing. or is he just having a quick spin..

less of the 'quick' jenga :)

For me, James is he biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. I don't know what went wrong but my God it did. the way he used to pick off the opposition in his Workington days was a sight to behold. I was a semi-regular at Workington in them days and I used to pray he'd miss the start and he often did but he'd often finish a race either nicking a win on the line or all over the guy in front. A real joy to watch.

agree,he was excellent..... Now he isn't.....

the speedway nerds say you can't say this though.... :)

Maybe before you all start ridiculing James Wright you should look back over his riding history.

Now I am not a speedway historian but if my old memory serves me right, I think that he went through a spell of having accidents at various meetings and being removed from meetings suffering from concussion, now a lot of people will say “so what it’s just a bump on the head” but it is more than just a bump on the head. Maybe before you all start ridiculing James Wright you should look back over his riding history.

Concussion can be a very serious injury to a rider the effects of which can last from 24 hours to a possible 2 or 3 years and until recently there has not been any ruling regarding the management of such an injury and a rider could have been severely concussed in a meeting tonight and still ride the next evening and no questions asked.

Thankfully now there are rules in place to protect the injured rider in particular and the other 3 riders on the track at the time whereby the injured can be removed from the meeting by the Chief Medical Officer for a period of 24 hours for very mild concussion to a minimal seven day suspension and will only be allowed to resume riding after a normal neurological & neuropsychiatric evaluation for moderate concussion & for severe concussion carries a one month suspension and only return when they have no symptoms at rest or after exercise for one week and a normal neurological & neuropsychiatric evaluation this will also include a CT and MRA scan.

I believe that James was suffering the long term effects of concussion which affected his riding ability

• Like 8

Maybe before you all start ridiculing James Wright you should look back over his riding history.

Now I am not a speedway historian but if my old memory serves me right, I think that he went through a spell of having accidents at various meetings and being removed from meetings suffering from concussion, now a lot of people will say so what its just a bump on the head but it is more than just a bump on the head. Maybe before you all start ridiculing James Wright you should look back over his riding history.

Concussion can be a very serious injury to a rider the effects of which can last from 24 hours to a possible 2 or 3 years and until recently there has not been any ruling regarding the management of such an injury and a rider could have been severely concussed in a meeting tonight and still ride the next evening and no questions asked.

Thankfully now there are rules in place to protect the injured rider in particular and the other 3 riders on the track at the time whereby the injured can be removed from the meeting by the Chief Medical Officer for a period of 24 hours for very mild concussion to a minimal seven day suspension and will only be allowed to resume riding after a normal neurological & neuropsychiatric evaluation for moderate concussion & for severe concussion carries a one month suspension and only return when they have no symptoms at rest or after exercise for one week and a normal neurological & neuropsychiatric evaluation this will also include a CT and MRA scan.

I believe that James was suffering the long term effects of concussion which affected his riding ability

riding with concussion symptoms or MHI is nothing to be proud of,feel pity for or use as an excuse!!! It's downright stupid and irresponsible!! I hope this post is opinion and conjecture and not fact because if you seen what I see everyday you'd know why.
  • Like 2

riding with concussion symptoms or MHI is nothing to be proud of,feel pity for or use as an excuse!!! It's downright stupid and irresponsible!! I hope this post is opinion and conjecture and not fact because if you seen what I see everyday you'd know why.

I was involved in speedway & grass track as a CMO for many years and I have been on the receiving end of abuse for not letting a rider carry on or accused of removing a visiting rider so that "my" team could win. In speedway I have dealt with all injuries from a dislocated little finger to multiple injuries on a rider including complicated fractured femur, fractured pelvis, fractured spine & severe internal blood loss, Believe me what I posted was fact, there used to be too much of it & the medical crews used to be treated as a necessary hindrance because the rule book stated that they had to be there I know what I am talking about in fact I could write a book on what I have seen and what I have been subjected to and in some cases by managers & promoters that are still involved today

Edited by starshooter
  • Like 1

Wright was quality, could of gone a long way. I'm sure I heard he got a concussion too somewhere along the line. Think it's a lot more simple than the concussion still lingering on, he took a big knock to the head and it made him lose his bottle a bit. Can't blame him, I'd be the same. If he comes back the rider he was when at Workington first time round then he'll be an asset to the league.

both james and charles wright were very good riders who should have went further than they did

james did reach a high prem level and did ok in the elite at times but obviously lost something which a few riders do at some point was it lost interest or confidence/ability due to 1 too many knocks we may never know but 1 thing for sure is he was once a good rider and dosnt deserve some of the coments earlier in this thread

he was poor when he last rode for workington and a real disapointment but i remember him starting at reserve and was a match winner all the way up to gaining the number 1 spot

• Like 4

He could have gone a long way but spent most of his time in EL on 4 ish point average for Swindon.

Yes he was good at Workington to the point he said he was too good for the PL.

He has done nothing but decline since 2007, stating facts here but hey he's probably a nice lad so that means he's a great rider.

Of course one of the problems with a serious concussion is that you often don't realise that you have one or that it's still causing you problems. Then you start to lose confidence so try harder, do worse and lose more confidence. Before long it seems an impossible to get out of downward spiral so the temptation is to think your career over. Suddenly after some time out the concussion goes and you start to feel better, have a spin on a bike and it feels like old times and only then do you realise how much the concussion was to blame.

No idea if this is what happened to James but it's a possibility and could explain why such a talented rider started to struggle. To my mind there is no doubt that he is/was one of the most talented British riders of his generation. Doubtful he was ever proud to ride with concussion but one thing you can be sure of is that if he hadn't there would have been fans of his team very critical of his ability to get over injuries fast.

• Like 4

He could have gone a long way but spent most of his time in EL on 4 ish point average for Swindon.

Yes he was good at Workington to the point he said he was too good for the PL.

He has done nothing but decline since 2007, stating facts here but hey he's probably a nice lad so that means he's a great rider.

being a nice person dosnt mean your good at what you do

I believe that in rugby union ANY level of concussion results in a minimum 3 week suspension and a few months ago the american oval racing magazine Circle Track carried the story of a stock/sprint car driver who over the years suffered a series of small concussions due simply to sudden stops in crashes when his head stopped but his brain was still moving inside his skull.

He is now confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, I copied and forwarded thje article to the BSPA and Andrew Butler for information.

James Wright is not about to make a full time 2014 return to league racing, he is still young and after a period of reflection and recuperation MAY decide to give it a go in 2015 How do I know because unlike most of you I have spoken to him, seems a super guy. He deserves the chance to consider his options and take his own decisions like all the rest of us have the opportunity to do without external pressure from armchair 'experts;

Good luck to James, i hope he enjoys it, does what he thinks is right for himself because before he was an excellent racer a very good rider gave his all did his best thats all anyone can ask for.
  • Like 1

I hope he decides to give it another go anyone rides and races a s/way bike deserves our utmost respect and IMO no one ever takes to the track with any reason other than trying to win.

Well if he reads this thread I imagine it would be a miracle if he got back on a bike again

What a vile bunch of people. The lad is human after all

• Like 3