British Speedway Forum

Has Iwade Closed

The best thing for Iwade, for the moment, to for everyone to think of it for what it is, a training track.

Look at Denmark and Poland, for example. Young riders can ride most days of the week.

What's the biggest problem for young lads in the UK, lack of track time.

What's available for track time?

Answer - Iwade

Where can you find a track that can run for a lot of days during the week and at least one day every weekend?

Answer - Iwade.

I fully appreciate the costs of training, and it's probably why a lot of riders don't practice anymore but if riders want to practice, check equipment etc then british speedway has the perfect place to do so.

Answer - Iwade.

It's not rocket science everyone.

The south east has the facilities, great facilities for british speedway so let's use it, or lose it!

• Like 1

The best thing for Iwade, for the moment, to for everyone to think of it for what it is, a training track.

Look at Denmark and Poland, for example. Young riders can ride most days of the week.

Answer - Iwade

Where can you find a track that can run for a lot of days during the week and at least one day every weekend?

Answer - Iwade.

I fully appreciate the costs of training, and it's probably why a lot of riders don't practice anymore but if riders want to practice, check equipment etc then british speedway has the perfect place to do so.

Answer - Iwade.

It's not rocket science everyone.

The south east has the facilities, great facilities for british speedway so let's use it, or lose it!

And Lydd Speedway, which is in the same county. I hope Iwade returns.

Answer - Iwade

Answer - Iwade.

Answer - Iwade.

Only if you live in east Kent. Otherwise, it is right in the far corner of the country, that corner blocked off by London. It is much easier to get to Land's End from here than Iwade ... what is needed is a similar set-up in the Midlands, for example someone should put some money into relaying the Burton track.

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on Iwade? I thought they had a planning application set for 10th April?

Yes a statement from the club will be released in due course when details have been finalized.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a child (80s) i have fond memories of every Sunday at Iwade watching my dad riding around and around, or more to the point i remember playing and messing about in the old turrets, haha.

Wish i could find some pics from those days, any 80s iwade websites etc? :-/

When iwades back on i may have to drive over to see how its changed in 30yrs since i last stood there!

• 2 weeks later...

Even though he was fighting for breath when I last spoke to him a week ago, Malcolm Simmons asked me to include a section urging the authorities to save Iwade in his latest Backtrack column, which is due back from the printer's in the next couple of days.

"It's pathetic," said Simmo when he heard that the track, where he used to hold training schools and take pre-season practice rides, might be forced to close if it had to install an expensive air fence.

"It's a ready-made training facility, somewhere for English youngsters to learn how to ride."

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

Yes Tony what Malcolm had to say when he visited us just a month or so ago was from the heart and very passionate about the way forward for the sport in this Country, to say he was upset at our plight would be a gross understatement. I understand Malcolm came home from hospital yesterday and all of us at Iwade would wish him well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up the latest position with the Club is the S.C.B. are holding a meeting in June to discuss Iwade's position as regards to Insurance, Air Fences and Amateur events and practice. Would like to think Malcolm's article in Backtrack has in some way helped our position and we are moving forward with the whole process.

Edited by IAN2
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...