British Speedway Forum

Has Iwade Closed

Can confirm Sittingbourne Speedway ( Iwade ) has not closed. Their is no on track activity at the moment due to a number of reasons namely a Full Planning application which is going through as we speak, the air-fence issue waiting on the S.C.B. for written clarification, insurance for amateur racing and medical cover during events.

Can confirm Sittingbourne Speedway ( Iwade ) has not closed. Their is no on track activity at the moment due to a number of reasons namely a Full Planning application which is going through as we speak, the air-fence issue waiting on the S.C.B. for written clarification, insurance for amateur racing and medical cover during events.

I sincerely hope that all those issues can be resolved since grass roots speedway needs Iwade. It is a brilliant little track, quite technical in nature and situated in a great place.

Best of luck to all involved with resolving the problems.

Sincerely hope Iwade overcome all obstacles and keep going - British speedway can't afford to lose any venues, especially ones such as this, where youngsters can learn to ride on the junior track and then develop their skills on the larger track.

It's very important that what Ivor and Barry Thomas created from nothing in the early 70s, and the facilities built up and maintained by Graham Arnold and all the other many volunteers and unsung heroes since then and up to the present day, does not go to waste.

Good luck.

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc
  • Like 4

Sadly we do not know how long it will take to resolve the issues and if we could give a timescale we would ,but would add it is in everybody's interest to get the track up and running again as soon as possible.This track cannot be lost to the sport under any circumstance and would like to thank those who wish to see it remain open and prosper in the future.

• Like 5

Sadly we do not know how long it will take to resolve the issues and if we could give a timescale we would ,but would add it is in everybody's interest to get the track up and running again as soon as possible.This track cannot be lost to the sport under any circumstance and would like to thank those who wish to see it remain open and prosper in the future.

Good luck to everyone in their endeavours to keep Iwade open.

• Like 2

Good luck to everyone in their endeavours to keep Iwade open.

I know I am going to be shot down in flames, but I did wonder whether the opening of Sittingbourne Speedway, may cause problems for Iwade. Seems a bit of a coincidence to me, although, common sense also says, why should it cause problems?

First Tony, so nearly messaged you about could you help with an article in Backtrack,so we are thinking along the same lines, thank you for the thought.

Ray,not going to shoot you down in flames, a very valid point,Kent Kings as they are called down the road at Central Park agreed not to use the name Sittingbourne as we use and have rights to the name Sittingbourne Speedway at Iwade. I use the name Iwade on this site as an old time supporter to show we are two different tracks within a very short distance. As Kent are in effect a sister track to Rye House promotional wise, they are always going to use contracted riders from both tracks, especially as Rye have a training school, so in that sense it is a problem. In an ideal world we would feed Kent with up and coming riders if we had a tie up with them. In the future if we survive at Iwade and Kent Kings are granted more than the 3 years left on their planning consent,they may well move up to the Premier League,then giving us a chance to return to the National League, that is my personal hope.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I remember speedway ! That's the sport that goes round in circles (or ovals) ! Unfortunately, it seems that nowadays these circles are ever decreasing. When speedway tracks are operating nobody takes a blind bit of notice, but as soon as a track is threatened with closure all these heads pop out of the sand and start panicking ! Where are all the riders, supporters and general speedway fans that used to grace our stadiums ? In these days of austerity it is increasingly difficult to raise the cash for fuel to drive to the track, let alone pay to get in. This is why Iwade speedway is the perfect track to visit. If you are a rider, the facilities are superb, the track is very well maintained, and the cost to ride is very reasonable. There is always ambulance cover at every session, and a very professional group of volunteers that are always at hand to help. If you are a spectator you are missing out on a great days spectating with good viewing of the track and pits, a café and toilets. Lets support Iwade speedway in every way that we can. Please turn up, show your support, dust off that old bike, join the club or volunteer. Lets stop talking and start doing, or this could be another piece of memorable history for our children to ask us about.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I remember speedway ! That's the sport that goes round in circles (or ovals) ! Unfortunately, it seems that nowadays these circles are ever decreasing. When speedway tracks are operating nobody takes a blind bit of notice, but as soon as a track is threatened with closure all these heads pop out of the sand and start panicking ! Where are all the riders, supporters and general speedway fans that used to grace our stadiums ? In these days of austerity it is increasingly difficult to raise the cash for fuel to drive to the track, let alone pay to get in. This is why Iwade speedway is the perfect track to visit. If you are a rider, the facilities are superb, the track is very well maintained, and the cost to ride is very reasonable. There is always ambulance cover at every session, and a very professional group of volunteers that are always at hand to help. If you are a spectator you are missing out on a great days spectating with good viewing of the track and pits, a café and toilets. Lets support Iwade speedway in every way that we can. Please turn up, show your support, dust off that old bike, join the club or volunteer. Lets stop talking and start doing, or this could be another piece of memorable history for our children to ask us about.

Very well posted and got to agree on all points, did not want to blow my own trumpet,but never a truer word spoken, thank you .