British Speedway Forum

Who's Got The Best Reserve?

"Skidder1 this decision has to be the correct one surely for the lad,i was disappointed i was looking forward to Josh riding for the Robins.But common sense has prevailed Rosco acted great in my opinion and as you said surely we need to help and support young lads like him good luck to Josh this year with the TIGERS.

Nobody is disputing it's the correct decision for the lad and Swindon acted professionally over it.

However, the lad has made the decision to back out of his draft placement so should not now be considered this year.

Loopholes such as this are the cause of so many of speedways problems.

• Like 2

Quite easy one this ...If it's best for the lad to ride for the tigers then fair enough but the moment he signs for another Elite league side then the whole Draft system is void .

The rule should be quite clear that Bates should have to sit out this years El .

• Like 2

Nobody is disputing it's the correct decision for the lad and Swindon acted professionally over it.

However, the lad has made the decision to back out of his draft placement so should not now be considered this year.

Loopholes such as this are the cause of so many of speedways problems.

You are correct about loopholes in the rules i don't agree with the reserve rule it has affected the likes of Birks/Auty but fingers crossed it works i hope so.

Of course its the best decision for Bates and his career nobody is disputing that.

What will be wrong is if he goes back on the draft list this season and is taken by somebody else

I cant see the reasoning either - unless its for some PC `fairness for all` thing.

If it was the A grade riders then i could see a little bit more logic as some are clearly `better` than others.

But the B grades are pretty much horses for courses.

It is clear he hasn't `reneged` (others word, most definitely not applicable IMHO) to try and sign for who he wants to so the notion that if you allow this it is opening up a can of worms for ALL graded riders to do it in future really doesn't hold any water to me.

I can see the logic that some are trying to present but when we are dealing with riders in the infancy (for most) of their careers there has to be a level of flexibility and sensibility without it being `abused` by some clubs.

But the B grades are pretty much horses for courses.

Not really Bates will be lot better than the kid Swindon have had to bring in and Bates will be a lot better than smart .

It's between a 3 and 5 point swing .

Amazing how Skidder has so much to say on Josh's situation as it seems talks have already taken place between him & another Elite lge club which happens to be wait for it the club Skidder supports.

Yes it's the right decision for Josh to ride for a Premier Lge down the road from him especially as he was clearly going to travel with Ashley Birks whilst on Robins duty until that fell through.

The main issue should be that it doesn't matter whether it's a foreign rider coming in on a dodgy average or a draft system there always seems to be a loophole some want to exploit.

Josh will get plenty of chances to guest in the Elite lge in 2014 which is fair enough but there is no way he should be allowed to join a team permanantly.

Amazing how Skidder has so much to say on Josh's situation as it seems talks have already taken place between him & another Elite lge club which happens to be wait for it the club Skidder supports.

Yes it's the right decision for Josh to ride for a Premier Lge down the road from him especially as he was clearly going to travel with Ashley Birks whilst on Robins duty until that fell through.

The main issue should be that it doesn't matter whether it's a foreign rider coming in on a dodgy average or a draft system there always seems to be a loophole some want to exploit.

Josh will get plenty of chances to guest in the Elite lge in 2014 which is fair enough but there is no way he should be allowed to join a team permanantly.

I thought only unattached Draft riders could guest for other Draft riders, surely he isn't still a Draft rider?
  • Like 1

Sorry didn't realise that was the case & that makes no sense at all as surely any national lge rider not in the draft should be able to be a guest.

I'm not sure, but there were quite a few riders who would have been near the top of the list who ruled themselves out as unavailable, for a variety of reasons. There are also a few oldies in the NL, giving them a guest spot rather defeats the object.
  • Like 1

Neither have pulled up any trees at PL level so disagree.

Have a look at Bates' NL average and compare it to those of some of the other second picks.

As has been correctly pointed out the lad needs to sit out this EL season otherwise the whole draft system is undermined. The draft idea is quite a simple one which can be kept airtight and manipulation free easily if everyone plays fair and the SCB do their job correctly.

• Like 4

It is clear he hasn't `reneged`

Good god.

Was he drafted by Swindon? Yes.

Did he go and sign for another club KNOWING there was a clash with his commitment to Swindon? Yes

Is he now riding for Swindon? No

That means he has reneged. 100%. It's not even up for debate.

• Like 1

Good god.

Was he drafted by Swindon? Yes.

Did he go and sign for another club KNOWING there was a clash with his commitment to Swindon? Yes

Is he now riding for Swindon? No

That means he has reneged. 100%. It's not even up for debate.

Stop debating it then

• Like 2

I'm sure that Matt Ford (and many of the other EL promoters, if they are doing their jobs properly), will already have had contact with a number of NL/PL riders to cover for any future fixture unavailability by either reserve.

In fact when I was in his office paying my season ticket money a couple of weeks ago, he took a call from one of them!! :wink::t:

NB. Its a shame Robert Lambert can't be a guest reserve whilst on his 3 point average!!! :P

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Not really Bates will be lot better than the kid Swindon have had to bring in and Bates will be a lot better than smart .

The kid? Do you mean Ritchings? I think you be better off with hom personally

The kid? Do you mean Ritchings? I think you be better off with hom personally