British Speedway Forum

Who's Got The Best Reserve?

It will be a wait and see case. It may even come down to clubs offering the reserve riders more money that where they are currently riding. Keep it all hush hush say you don't like the club you are riding for and see if a deal can be struck.

It may not happen, but over the years it has been shown that money speaks louder than the rules in many sports.

I for one hope that this scheme works and thet the young riders get a lot of knowladge from this year.

It is what the sport needs to progress, to gain future star riders. Lets just hope that nothing spoils it before the year ends.

If one rider is replaced before they are evn given a chance to see what they can do, not after a few racesw but give them at least half the season or at least till the end of the season. It all takes time, if not the whole idea will just fall into an utter disaster.

Riders will going from place to place and the whole thing will fall apart at the seams.

We will be back to where we where last year, with reserve riders from around the world again, because they can't get on with the young British riders or the are not scoring the points they want to do.

Make them stay with who they have this is a chance to bring on some young British riders. They need to be given this chance. The only one who can make this work are the promoters.

Just maybe your team won't finish top of the league. So what.

Is it all about winning. Hope not.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Putting the silliness to one side for a moment, doesn't a lot turn on whether Bates remains on the FTDR list which the BSPA are supposed to be updating every month.

If he has left Swindon, the club he was originally allocated to, then I find it difficult to see how he can remain on the list, and if he is off the list then clearly he won't be going anywhere. If he remains on the list then it seems that the whole system is open to abuse.

Its a bit premature IMO to start pointing the finger at Poole but IF he were to go there (which would need approval by the BSPA ) then the whole thing becomes untenable.

I stand to be corrected, but does anybody from Poole or otherwise see any reason for him to remain on the FTDR list ? If so , why ?

Nobody is pointing the finger at Poole as they havent done anything wrong. Poole are only linked because there own promoter was talking about replacing a draft rider.

whats annoying is that people assume its an 'anti poole' thing.

they still have them blinkers on!

Yawwwwn.

I think many people are forgetting the title of the topic here.

Best reserve is potentially garrity but he's been out a while so will need time to get back to full fitness.

I think Newman will start a the best reserve but by end of the season if garrity is not injured again then it will be him.

Best pairing has to be the wolves pair

The most surprising rider of the draft will be Nielsen. (I hope) lol

• Like 3

Of course they are.

They're always happy for rules to be twisted, bent and indeed broken as its 'in the interest of the sport'.

The 'interest of the sport' causes one thing only, more resentment and disillusionment for fans who simply want a sport where the rules are applied equally across the board.

Exactement BWitcher..

As other have mentioned 'a level playing field' please and no more skullduggery :t:

• Like 2

Show us where Poole have said they are considering changing Smart. I certainly haven't read anything to say smart is on his way. In fact there's a story on him in today's Echo.

Only people bleating about Bates is the usual anti Poole brigade who seem to have got into their thick skulls that bates is on his way to Poole. If they don't want to get a response from Poole fans I would suggest they make up the same story but chose another club to play "villains".

In fairness to Shov (for once) i haven't read anything about Bates being approached or Smart being dropped.

Most are putting 2 and 2 together with regards Smart and i don't think i have read one post that expects Smart to see out the season without being replaced.

There is no conspiracy regards Bates pulling out of riding for Swindon so he could ride for Poole. Bates is only securing his PL future first which is paramount to his future at the moment.

He is low down on the draft for a reason and i cannot see why some are saying the lad shouldn't be allowed to go back on the `extra` list. We should start penalising the kids now??

So long as it isn't abused and some don't get to `choose` there preferred club (assets exempt of course) then what is the problem?

What i can see happening is that certain clubs (Poole included) start to sign some of the best new youngsters as assets to ensure they get the pick of the best in the seasons to come.

I say seasons to come because i would seriously like to think that the EL will continue with the British reserves for the near future and not a one season fade to sort one problem.

• Like 2

Don't disagree with any of that SB - I know, surprising isn't it!!?

BUT all riders are available to be signed as assets - in fact its already started, Coventry for example.

Poole have the tie-up with Scunthorpe exactly for that reason I assume. Maybe some other clubs need to get off their backsides and look at similar 'partnerships'! Nothing wrong in planning for the future!

• Like 1

I left this morning and this thread was shaping up nicely, just nudging into it's 3rd page.

I look tonight and it's on page 8 and it's nearly all Poole bollox. Give it a rest chaps and get back to the original thread

• Like 4

As for Bates, of course he should be back on the list. He is a young rider who needed PL experience to to exclude him for an EL reserve berth would be vindictive and counter productive to the new system. He could end up anywhere except for a Thursday night club. And good for him if he finds a berth.

• Like 1

Don't disagree with any of that SB - I know, surprising isn't it!!?

BUT all riders are available to be signed as assets - in fact its already started, Coventry for example.

Poole have the tie-up with Scunthorpe exactly for that reason I assume. Maybe some other clubs need to get off their backsides and look at similar 'partnerships'! Nothing wrong in planning for the future!

Indeed and the link in with Scunthorpe seemed to come out of the blue and an odd one given the peril`s of the IOW.

However from a business perspective it is the best move. So many youngsters come through the training schools and go on to sign for Scunthorpe or other clubs that it is the best place for any EL promoter to have their fingers into.

As for Bates, of course he should be back on the list. He is a young rider who needed PL experience to to exclude him for an EL reserve berth would be vindictive and counter productive to the new system. He could end up anywhere except for a Thursday night club. And good for him if he finds a berth.

For the 2nd time today i agree with Shov. I feel quite squimish now. :t:

• Like 1

would like to know what you all think.

Such a long time ago.............

If I could put a bet on somebody at decent odds, it would be Steve Worrall. I thought he was riding far more confidently by end of season, took longer to get over his injury than his brother - not in the same class yet, but a slightly slower developer and he should improve a lot. That's as long as the travelling doesn't mess things up.

• Like 1

Such a long time ago.............

If I could put a bet on somebody at decent odds, it would be Steve Worrall. I thought he was riding far more confidently by end of season, took longer to get over his injury than his brother - not in the same class yet, but a slightly slower developer and he should improve a lot. That's as long as the travelling doesn't mess things up.

Agreed. Worrall will fair a lot better than many think. Riding for a PL club with a big home track advantage will lay good foundations and he'll be a decent scorer for Swindon.

Doesn't the whole process set a precedent though during 'pick season' a loophole if you will.

"If we can't get to you at the pick turn the place down that you get offered and then we will sign you later"

I suppose it will be fun watching it play out. In my opinion there is rarely smoke without fire on this forum there is always someone who 'does' know because people talk.

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

Doesn't the whole process set a precedent though during 'pick season' a loophole if you will.

"If we can't get to you at the pick turn the place down that you get offered and then we will sign you later"

I suppose it will be fun watching it play out. In my opinion there is rarely smoke without fire on this forum there is always someone who 'does' know because people talk.

There has only been one promotor who moaned about the draft reserve & only one group of fans who've mentioned that rider being replaced.

No other clubs fans or promotor have said anything but it's classed as fans jumping on the bandwagon when posting about it.

Whoever this screamer is hasn't got a clue! Oviously didn't see Lewis Kerr ride much last year then! Fantastic rider and any PL or EL club would want his signature! Him and Jason Garrity are well ahead in my opinion. Watched Lewis last year at the NLRC and should of won it. Lynn and Newcastle have a great talent in my eyes and sure a lot of people would agree.

In the established commerical world of American sport, there are always draft picks who don't end up at the franchise where they were selected to play.

If this British speedway process evolves correctly, then it will become more commerical - at the moment though, sensible decisions have to be made to safeguard the youngsters involved.

You haven't got that quite right Had Enough.

If a player refuses to sign for the team that drafted him he is UNABLE to play for another team that year and must re-enter the draft the following year. The only way he can join another team is if the rights to his signature are traded by the team he was meant to join, which has happened on a few occasions.

So in the case of Bates, by quitting on Swindon he wouldn't be able to join another team that year, he'd have to re-enter the draft. Or Poole would have to pay Swindon for his services.

Edited by BWitcher

You haven't got that quite right Had Enough.

If a player refuses to sign for the team that drafted him he is UNABLE to play for another team that year and must re-enter the draft the following year. The only way he can join another team is if the rights to his signature are traded by the team he was meant to join, which has happened on a few occasions.

So in the case of Bates, by quitting on Swindon he wouldn't be able to join another team that year, he'd have to re-enter the draft. Or Poole would have to pay Swindon for his services.

We'll take a straight swap for Newman :drink:

• Like 1

There has only been one promotor who moaned about the draft reserve & only one group of fans who've mentioned that rider being replaced.

No other clubs fans or promotor have said anything but it's classed as fans jumping on the bandwagon when posting about it.

I suppose we will just have to see