peter collins

chris morton

phil crump

gote nordin

the visits of wimbledon, west ham & coventry in the sixties

belle vue & exeter in the seventies

Nicki P (mostly for the wrong reasons)

What ever happened to Ben Howe I remember him quite well

Incredible natural talent but wasn't able to fulfil his potential. Didn't seem to have the will to apply it fully. Mad as a box of frogs if even a few of the stories Ive heard are true!

Suffered a serious arm injury before retiring.

• Like 1

Incredible natural talent but wasn't able to fulfil his potential. Didn't seem to have the will to apply it fully. Mad as a box of frogs if even a few of the stories Ive heard are true!

Suffered a serious arm injury before retiring.

Cheers I remember seeing him ride was a exciting rider, didn't know about the injury he had to his arm shame he didn't fulfill his potential though.

no way could anyone diss rickardsson, but personally don't think he was extra special from the back..when he hit the front it was goodbye, mega fast

Really? I always thought Tony was a great racer, however he was also a great gater so didn't actually need to put that skill to the test as often as the likes of Collins, Loram and Ward.

• Like 1

Rickardsson was a rider i never really took to,i don't know why out of all the great champs he was one of my least favourites.My memories of him were as a great starter not particularly great from the back mega quick though.

I am with you on that...there was something about Rickardsson that stops me thinking about him as fondly as Ole Olsen , Erik Gundersen, Hans Nielsen, Michael Lee plus I would look forward to seeing riders like Kenny Carter , Dennis Sigalos , Malcolm Simmons , Dave Jessup , Scott Autrey to name some a lot more than Rickardsson

That is probably an age thing more than anything in that the riders I used to look forward to seeing were ones from when I was at school whereas I was older when Rickardsson was in his real heyday and had stopped going reguarly

My first favourite visitor was Ole Olsen .....when I started going to Hyde Road Peter Collins used to win virtually all his races but Olsen was the one rider who would come and give him some.almighty races ..Olsen would normally gate and Collins would chase..sometimes he caught him..sometimes he didn't , but they were great races and definitely the highlight of my early seasons of speedway

You had Soldier Boy in amongst the masses next to the tapes and he always shouted for Olsen for some reason and I remember Olsen winning the second half final once and getting off his bike and giving his trophy to Soldier Boy...those were the days

As for bums on seats..well I had stopped going to speedway but I did make an effort to drive to Coventry just to see Tomasz Gollob in the flesh riding for Ipswich

These days I might be persuaded to go to a live meeting to see Darcy Ward who is head and shoulders above anybody else in terms of spectacle but my only gripe is that from watching on TV is that most races he rides in in the league are too easy and predictable..oh for a tougher Elite League

I am with you on that...there was something about Rickardsson that stops me thinking about him as fondly as Ole Olsen , Erik Gundersen, Hans Nielsen, Michael Lee plus I would look forward to seeing riders like Kenny Carter , Dennis Sigalos , Malcolm Simmons , Dave Jessup , Scott Autrey to name some a lot more than Rickardsson

That is probably an age thing more than anything in that the riders I used to look forward to seeing were ones from when I was at school whereas I was older when Rickardsson was in his real heyday and had stopped going reguarly

My first favourite visitor was Ole Olsen .....when I started going to Hyde Road Peter Collins used to win virtually all his races but Olsen was the one rider who would come and give him some.almighty races ..Olsen would normally gate and Collins would chase..sometimes he caught him..sometimes he didn't , but they were great races and definitely the highlight of my early seasons of speedway

You had Soldier Boy in amongst the masses next to the tapes and he always shouted for Olsen for some reason and I remember Olsen winning the second half final once and getting off his bike and giving his trophy to Soldier Boy...those were the days

As for bums on seats..well I had stopped going to speedway but I did make an effort to drive to Coventry just to see Tomasz Gollob in the flesh riding for Ipswich

These days I might be persuaded to go to a live meeting to see Darcy Ward who is head and shoulders above anybody else in terms of spectacle but my only gripe is that from watching on TV is that most races he rides in in the league are too easy and predictable..oh for a tougher Elite League

A really good post, i thought it was just me? dont get me wrong i admired Rickardsson who wouldn't but unlike say a Olsen ,Briggo,i was never that excited to see him ride.Olsen for me was awesome i still believe he was a better rider than Ivan he was a good gater but he also was exciting from the back.In the mid seventies i would say that Olsen and Mauger were among a few who give PC a race at Hyde rd also Sjosten did ok but then he was getting on a bit.
  • Like 1