British Speedway Forum

Speedway Best Pairs

For a team to be called "Great Britain" (as opposed to e.g. "A British XV XI VII IV II") does there not have to be official approval from that country's governing body? Does anyone think that a random British twosome can take part thereby implying that they are representing their country (and thereby their governing body), without approval? Well One Sport seem to think so, but what's the betting that the BSPA show them who's boss?

A starting permit is needed naturally. But since they gave one for Woffy for the SEC last year, why not for Wuffy and say Barker this year for this and for SEC?

THINK there is a chance of that next year... maybe alternating with SWC

Why on earth alternate? The pairs could be run on one weekend - or have two semis on the friday and a final on the saturday if they are eorried about upsetting the polish leagues. I can't see why u would drop the seemingly successful swc every srcond year.

Team GB have decided not to participate. And we wonder why we don't progress. Heads should roll

Head should roll indeed.

The question is - whose heads. I doubt whether "Team GB" has any say in this. It seems that it is BSPA, or generally speaking the British Federation who is boycotting anything One Sport try to organize. I wonder therefore whether they have any shares in the BSI/IMG. :lol:

Jan Konikiewicz of the One Sport Company told SportoweFakty.pl

"We received a letter in which BSPA in one sentence - without giving any reason - has given a clear position of not granting permission for the start of the British team in the competition organized by us. We talked this morning to Tai Woffinden, and his comment regarding this situation is not suitable for citation. We are sorry for all British fans, because in this competition the British Team certainly would have a good chance for the most important trophy. BSPA has been aiming (in effect) to extinguish speedway popularity in Great Britain, and does it with admirable consistency.

• Like 3

Head should roll indeed.

The question is - whose heads. I doubt whether "Team GB" has any say in this. It seems that it is BSPA, or generally speaking the British Federation who is boycotting anything One Sport try to organize. I wonder therefore whether they have any shares in the BSI/IMG. :lol:

"We received a letter in which BSPA in one sentence - without giving any reason - has given a clear position of not granting permission for the start of the British team in the competition organized by us. We talked this morning to Tai Woffinden, and his comment regarding this situation is not suitable for citation. We are sorry for all British fans, because in this competition the British Team certainly would have a good chance for the most important trophy. BSPA has been aiming (in effect) to extinguish speedway popularity in Great Britain, and does it with admirable consistency.

Why? As much as I would like to see a British pair, it is a non FIM event and so it's just an invitational set up by a promoter.

If Gollob and Hampel are invited to Elite Riders in March are they likely to accept? Will the promoter then blast the Polish authorities for not sending them?

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

Is there an "exit" sign on that door? :rofl:

Would've been a good joke, but you are talking of "us". :nono:

It's not like were (those2) are really THAT bad, I mean the Swedes were forced out of the SWC as well after last year... :approve:

Yes, I know they ride in it 2014. Thats because they are a host nation.

Would've been a good joke, but you are talking of "us". :nono:

It's not like were (those2) are really THAT bad, I mean the Swedes were forced out of the SWC as well after last year... :approve:

No,they are not that bad,but i would expect one of those wildcards to move into the comp.Possibly the USA

Edited by iris123

Team GB have decided not to participate.

Why am I not surprised?

"...BSPA has been aiming (in effect) to extinguish speedway popularity in Great Britain, and does it with admirable consistency."

Says it all doesn't it? He says exactly what everyone on BSF says regularly. The only people who are unaware of that home truth are the BSPA themselves.

The stupid thing is...if Poole or Swindon (etc) wanted to run a "Best Pairs" event to fill a gap in their fixture list, there wouldn't be a problem in riders being allowed to "earn a living" by accepting a booking. But earning a comfortable living on Polish big money, against quality opposition, that's a big no-no. Work it out.

No-one yet knows what the format of the "Elite Riders Championships" will be, but if the BSPA now harbour any ideas of adding to the talent pool, riders contracted to Polish clubs not riding in the UK, you can guess what the outcome might well be...then again, could the Poles really be as small and as petty minded as the BSPA and seek this kind of retaliation?

If Gollob and Hampel are invited to Elite Riders in March are they likely to accept? Will the promoter then blast the Polish authorities for not sending them?

Give them a worldwide audience in millions on Eurosport open channel, and a winner prize of 16000 pounds per round, and you'll see them :)

One thing is not to send the riders, the other one is to ban them!

Give them a worldwide audience in millions on Eurosport open channel, and a winner prize of 16000 pounds per round, and you'll see them :)

One thing is not to send the riders, the other one is to ban them!

Last year one participating country forget to send enough riders and so the worldwide audience of millions were left scratching their heads as to why one country was being represented by riders of different nationalities. Not that anyone knew until about heat 7 when Eurosport decided to start live transmission.
  • Like 2

Last year one participating country forget to send enough riders and so the worldwide audience of millions were left scratching their heads as to why one country was being represented by riders of different nationalities. Not that anyone knew until about heat 7 when Eurosport decided to start live transmission.

And you think Zagar was just around the stadium when they counted the riders on signing? :) LOL

I dont think countries are sending anyone, i believe I'ts an open market, and the promotor calls who ever he wants.

And you think Zagar was just around the stadium when they counted the riders on signing? :) LOL

I dont think countries are sending anyone, i believe I'ts an open market, and the promotor calls who ever he wants.

Exactly, as I said it's an invitational so don't understand why BSPA have to bow to the demands of one sport. It's a non FIM event which will no doubt impact on the British clubs whose riders are taking part.
  • Like 2

Exactly, as I said it's an invitational so don't understand why BSPA have to bow to the demands of one sport. It's a non FIM event which will no doubt impact on the British clubs whose riders are taking part.

A promoter that signs a deal with a rider that allows the rider to miss matches for better paying individuals or pairs meetings is one crap promoter.

As I suspected, to represent the nation, and to be called "Great Britain", the BSPA have to grant approval. They haven't. So no British riders can represent their country in that event, despite at least the first round not conflicting with any EL fixtures. Any foreign rider contracted to a British team can't be stopped though. I doubt if the team that they are riding for will be granted more than an NL guest as a replacement if they have a rider that is caught up in a fixture clash, and no doubt the club or the BSPA may impose a ban on that rider, in the way that Swindon did with Hans Andersen last year when his SEC commitments "took priority".

Does anyone think that isolationism will do British Speedway any good? Do you think that the likes of Tai Woffinden will be pleased at not being able to earn what he is worth on the global stage as World Champion? Is this a way to encourage the top riders to (continue to) take part in our leagues and thereby improving the product for British fans? Thank you BSPA for burying your heads in the sand and further diluting the product even further.

• Like 1

Does anyone think that isolationism will do British Speedway any good? Do you think that the likes of Tai Woffinden will be pleased at not being able to earn what he is worth on the global stage as World Champion? Is this a way to encourage the top riders to (continue to) take part in our leagues and thereby improving the product for British fans? Thank you BSPA for burying your heads in the sand and further diluting the product even further.

Rules are rules, but it's still preseason and solutions can be found ...

It will impact on British riders, if BSPA will keep on causing problems for them on the international scene, rather than finding solutions so everyone can be happy?