British Speedway Forum

Peter Collins In The Star

moxey63

OK, here is my go at reasons for live attendances declining at Speedway since the glory days (the 40's in my opinion).

1. Many more alternatives these days.

2. Speedway was a town centre sport that large numbers of people, many of whom had no transport, could walk to comfortably. Nowadays tracks are more spread out and people have to make more time and effort to get there. Could this be a big part of the reason behind Poole's success?

3. Bigger tracks meant relatively higher speeds, seeing bikes do 70mph was a big deal. Nowadays many road bikes can comfortably exceed that speed in 1st gear.

4. The danger was emphasised, advertised and accepted as an important part of the sport. We seem to shy away from that now although if you look at riders injuries it is still incredibly dangerous if less often fatal.

5. Large numbers of people had or had ridden motorcycles that weren't hugely different to those used on Speedway (a very important part of the success of Moto GP and Superbikes in my opinion).

6. Many of the crowd knew, at least by sight, some of their home town riders. Because of their rarity foreign riders were a draw (Reider Eide was one of my favourites when I first went to Speedway in the 60's simply because I was very young and nobody seemed to know how to say his name!)

7. Winning was 2nd in importance to seeing a good meeting when I started going (if that's not rose tinted glasses on my part)

The problem as I see it is that a lot of these things cannot and never will be fixable. The truth is that it's as daft us thinking we know how to attract newcomers as it is for the Promoters, we already know about Speedway. Somebody needs to ask people who have no interest in the sport why.

• Like 1

OK, here is my go at reasons for live attendances declining at Speedway since the glory days (the 40's in my opinion).

1. Many more alternatives these days.

2. Speedway was a town centre sport that large numbers of people, many of whom had no transport, could walk to comfortably. Nowadays tracks are more spread out and people have to make more time and effort to get there. Could this be a big part of the reason behind Poole's success?

3. Bigger tracks meant relatively higher speeds, seeing bikes do 70mph was a big deal. Nowadays many road bikes can comfortably exceed that speed in 1st gear.

4. The danger was emphasised, advertised and accepted as an important part of the sport. We seem to shy away from that now although if you look at riders injuries it is still incredibly dangerous if less often fatal.

5. Large numbers of people had or had ridden motorcycles that weren't hugely different to those used on Speedway (a very important part of the success of Moto GP and Superbikes in my opinion).

6. Many of the crowd knew, at least by sight, some of their home town riders. Because of their rarity foreign riders were a draw (Reider Eide was one of my favourites when I first went to Speedway in the 60's simply because I was very young and nobody seemed to know how to say his name!)

7. Winning was 2nd in importance to seeing a good meeting when I started going (if that's not rose tinted glasses on my part)

The problem as I see it is that a lot of these things cannot and never will be fixable. The truth is that it's as daft us thinking we know how to attract newcomers as it is for the Promoters, we already know about Speedway. Somebody needs to ask people who have no interest in the sport why.

Good points Vince , though i would also add the overcomplification of the sport by the rule makers has had a detrimental effect . That and the fact that the bikes seem too powerful for a lot of tracks and that doesn't offer good racing on tracks which could also be prepared a bit better .

• Like 1

Oh dear, Is this the cue for someones "true" story of how they were sitting round discussing speedway with a friend who had never been, who upon hearing about the notion of guests, playoffs etc, supposedly ends up rolling on the floor laughing their socks off ?

Hmm..i hope not. Good post anyway Vince.

OK, here is my go at reasons for live attendances declining at Speedway since the glory days (the 40's in my opinion).1. Many more alternatives these days.2. Speedway was a town centre sport that large numbers of people, many of whom had no transport, could walk to comfortably. Nowadays tracks are more spread out and people have to make more time and effort to get there. Could this be a big part of the reason behind Poole's success?3. Bigger tracks meant relatively higher speeds, seeing bikes do 70mph was a big deal. Nowadays many road bikes can comfortably exceed that speed in 1st gear.4. The danger was emphasised, advertised and accepted as an important part of the sport. We seem to shy away from that now although if you look at riders injuries it is still incredibly dangerous if less often fatal.5. Large numbers of people had or had ridden motorcycles that weren't hugely different to those used on Speedway (a very important part of the success of Moto GP and Superbikes in my opinion).6. Many of the crowd knew, at least by sight, some of their home town riders. Because of their rarity foreign riders were a draw (Reider Eide was one of my favourites when I first went to Speedway in the 60's simply because I was very young and nobody seemed to know how to say his name!)7. Winning was 2nd in importance to seeing a good meeting when I started going (if that's not rose tinted glasses on my part)The problem as I see it is that a lot of these things cannot and never will be fixable. The truth is that it's as daft us thinking we know how to attract newcomers as it is for the Promoters, we already know about Speedway. Somebody needs to ask people who have no interest in the sport why.

Good post.

One key factor the anti-SKY league have missed is the country is in the worst recession it's ever experienced.

Forgive my naivity, but I'm sure that must have had an effect on crowds.

Great post, Vince.

Taking some of your points individually, I'd like to make a few comments :

1) Indeed there are alternatives, but I think one of the main issues is that people are now inherently lazy. Going back 20 years, people didn't sit at home on their PC's and tablets, and certainly didn't have all the choices on TV. Now, people don't want to leave the house...

2) Another valid point that I'd never really considered! The fact that London no longer has a track saddens me no end.

6) This can also tie in with the fact that there is an alarming lack of continuity as far as team members. Sure, it is still four blokes racing bikes without brakes, but to a lot of supporters, becoming familiar with their riders - and actually getting to know many personally - was a major factor.

7) That is indicative of modern society, sadly. It's all about results to a lot of people.

Good post.

One key factor the anti-SKY league have missed is the country is in the worst recession it's ever experienced.

Another good point, but as has been said before, if the product isn't attractive and entertaining (which it often isn't), no matter how inexpensive it is, people won't attend.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Great post, Vince.

Taking some of your points individually, I'd like to make a few comments :

1) Indeed there are alternatives, but I think one of the main issues is that people are now inherently lazy. Going back 20 years, people didn't sit at home on their PC's and tablets, and certainly didn't have all the choices on TV. Now, people don't want to leave the house...

2) Another valid point that I'd never really considered! The fact that London no longer has a track saddens me no end.

6) This can also tie in with the fact that there is an alarming lack of continuity as far as team members. Sure, it is still four blokes racing bikes without brakes, but to a lot of supporters, becoming familiar with their riders - and actually getting to know many personally - was a major factor.

7) That is indicative of modern society, sadly. It's all about results to a lot of people.

Another good point, but as has been said before, if the product isn't attractive and entertaining (which it often isn't), no matter how inexpensive it is, people won't attend.

Steve

I think your point regarding lack of continuity of Team members is quite a big factor IMO fans taking children have to give them a focus to keep there attention and I know quite afew fans whose children topic and attention was who was their favourite rider ,alas nowadays teams get split up almost every season.young fans interest might wane in this respect.

Good post.

I'm sure it has but speedway attendances have been dropping, irrespective of the state of the economy, for many years.

• Like 1

Oh dear, Is this the cue for someones "true" story of how they were sitting round discussing speedway with a friend who had never been, who upon hearing about the notion of guests, playoffs etc, supposedly ends up rolling on the floor laughing their socks off ?

Hmm..i hope not. Good post anyway Vince.

You forgot 'Double Points' Doc. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good post.

Not much sign of a recession at the Ally Pally watching the darts tonight.Sold out a month in advance with £50 cheapest ticket to watch probable 2 hours of darts.The recession is the easiest excuse for a failing product or business.

Not much sign of a recession at the Ally Pally watching the darts tonight.Sold out a month in advance with £50 cheapest ticket to watch probable 2 hours of darts.The recession is the easiest excuse for a failing product or business.

Royal Bank of Scotland?

Oh forgot. They are one of the bar stewards who caused this frigging mess.

Nor to watch Arsenal beat Cardiff City today - an attendance of 60,004.

Edited by Guest

its difficult to feel you are ever watching "your team" when they are doubling up elsewhere, nite after nite..

it feels riders are just earning there crust riding where ever, whenever..course they have to make a living, but it get to a stage

when you don't even know who owns who..the sport itself is fine, but the product is let down by a whole host of things..

it needs lock tight rules like the gp..gp racing comes across as professional, and the w.cup almost has it rite..

know not all will agree here, but I preferred riders having there own leathers, rather than team colours..

even tho most still know whose who, there was something special bout john Louis tiger leathers, ole olsen in his black etc..

think they stood out more and looked more charasmatic

know not all will agree here, but I preferred riders having there own leathers, rather than team colours..

even tho most still know whose who, there was something special bout john Louis tiger leathers, ole olsen in his black etc..

think they stood out more and looked more charasmatic

I'm baffled - perhaps as usual. But just what has this got to do with 'Peter Collins in the Star.' It looks like yet another BSF thread that has lost its way and is just rambling on?

Edited by Guest

How many spectators buy tickets to watch the pub matches that run all over the country every week? That would be a fairer comparison to league Speedway.

Football is the national sport and can attract spectators almost despite itself, loyalties and promotion of the sport begins in the cradle in millions of homes, no other sport can compare.