British Speedway Forum

Peter Collins In The Star

moxey63

I have often been regarded as a dinosaur, a misery guts, a speedway-caller-of-names, but after reading Peter Collins’ article in the current Speedway Star, I am not alone in my honest views of the sport, which we all love.

The Master of Belle Vue’s Past has opinions that mostly echo mine – he thinks the Play-Offs have been detrimental to the British season, although admits they have been a success. He says (and I agree) that most league meetings are of no importance and that teams can fine-tune for the October PO showdown.

He believes also that the Play Offs have shoved the KO Cup onto the backburner and dwarfed it in importance, that the Golden Double and Joker rules are pathetic for serious speedway connoisseurs (like me and PC), and that the four, three, two and one match points for a team winning depending on how big of a win it attains is also debatable.

Another one of his gripes, races being called back for false starts/riders jumping the start. PC (and again I agree) says if a riders makes the starts (long as he doesn’t touch the tapes), then it is anticipation and not a jump-start. I have seen Stuart Robson punished several times on SKY for anticipating the start, the race being re-run despite Robson not doing anything other than having quick reflexes at that perfect time.

Happy Christmas PC… and Best Wishes for 2014.

Least I can sleep now knowing I’m not talking tosh, and somebody agrees with my views.

What better man to have agreeing with old moxey63

What a GREAT Thread.

Nice to know that someone who really knows Speedway through and through, largely has the same opinions as myself. :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

I feel vindicated. :t:

• Like 2

No doubt he was a great,great rider.That doesn't automatically mean he would be a great promoter or administrator and know what is best for the sport nowadays.Like most of us though i am sure he just wants the best for speedway and for it to be the success it used to be in his heyday.

I just hope speedway and PC's(at least the last i heard he wasn't in the best of health...) health improves next year.

agree with most of what pc says especially about the starts if a rider gets a great start with out touching the tapes and has been stationary at the start fair play to him, next thing they will do is pull it back because someone didn't start as well as the rest

You can make a jump start despite being still and not touching the tapes.

The trouble is Speedway has no way of proving it to be the case as they can in Athletics for example.

The majority of 'blinders' are of course actually rollers and totally illegal. Too many riders sit too far back from the tapes and get awat with it.

• Like 3

Because if Peter Collins stops going to speedway, it would make no difference what so ever. However, if I stopped going to speedway, a club would be making £17 less every week.

Not really. A club only makes money if somebody pays to go through the turnstiles. For instance, If you pay £17, then it's income for the track. Until you hand over the pennies, don't think a club counts the revenue.

The thing is, PC speaks sense... whether he pays to get in speedway or not. Some present day promoters take money out, make silly rules, and then blame a loss of revenue. Revenue should only be counted when it's banked, so persuading fans through the gate is important. The sport was a lot better value and worthy when PC rode. That I will acept no arguements over. As terraces showed, there was more revenue coming in.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Old Man In "I Prefer Old Speedway" Shocker

Daft comment and an insult to one of the best and most exciting riders ever seen on a speedway track. Put more bums on seats than any other British rider.

Most who know anything about speedway would agree and understand every point he makes. But then again you in your eyes he is just an old man who doesn't deserve to have an opinion. If i stood next to you at a track i'd give the Promoter seventeen quid not to let you in. Money well spent

• Like 4

agree with most of what pc says especially about the starts if a rider gets a great start with out touching the tapes and has been stationary at the start fair play to him, next thing they will do is pull it back because someone didn't start as well as the rest

The key is 'Has been stationary at the start' , that's what several riders have been doing - goes beyond anticipation when the back wheel is spinning before the tapes release! I hope they keep pulling these riders back.
  • Like 1

Daft comment and an insult to one of the best and most exciting riders ever seen on a speedway track. Put more bums on seats than any other British rider.

Most who know anything about speedway would agree and understand every point he makes. But then again you in your eyes he is just an old man who doesn't deserve to have an opinion. If i stood next to you at a track i'd give the Promoter seventeen quid not to let you in. Money well spent

Nobody has said he should have no opinion. everyone is entitled to an opinion. But just because he could ride a speedway bike better than most 30-odd years ago doesn't mean he knows how to make the sport a success now.