British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2014

Some clubs just don't get good gates mid week for various reasons, a lot of Pboro fans don't live in Pboro unfortunately, i live 1hour 15 mins away (and thats on a good run)

Coventry had similar problems a few years ago running mid week and now there back to Friday racing gates are good again for NL and EL

i think Pboro gate would improve with Friday racing

Being a school night never stopped my old man taking me to west ham or white city when i was a kid. I just used to kip in the car on the way home!

my dad was the same! Long Eaton Wed Pboro Friday Kings Lynn Saturday i enjoyed those days!

i think Pboro gate would improve with Friday racing

To be fair to Rick and Julie they did get more Fridays in the calendar than many had been able to in the last 10 years but the end result was the same. It's still what you (as well as what the useless rules allow) and the visitors are allowed to put on track and how it's presented. Simple equation and we thank those who put their money and time into making it happen.

The race night in my view makes only a marginal difference. As far as Peterborougjh are concerned the present crowds are in the main those that actually prefer Premier League, the stay aways do not attend as they prefer Elite. . On a wider note the Top Stars no longer are racing in this country yet the answer has always been dumb down the product and put up the prices. I am also of the opinion that The Grand Prixs have been a disaster for Speedway in this country.

• Like 1

Being a school night never stopped my old man taking me to west ham or white city when i was a kid. I just used to kip in the car on the way home!

Quite agree Thursday was Speedway night when I was at School. I really think the problem is the cost when bringing children.

When I was at school you got in half price with programme included. You did not have drink or a Burger as they were not available and in any case most could not afford them if they were.

The race night in my view makes only a marginal difference. As far as Peterborougjh are concerned the present crowds are in the main those that actually prefer Premier League, the stay aways do not attend as they prefer Elite. . On a wider note the Top Stars no longer are racing in this country yet the answer has always been dumb down the product and put up the prices. I am also of the opinion that The Grand Prixs have been a disaster for Speedway in this country.

Never a truer word spoken. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Tuesday was 'continuity day' - nothing to do with Coventry or Ryan - we understood that the disjointed fixture list wasn't ideal, and anticipated that a regular race-night would improve the crowds. Weekend dates are always at a premium when fitting in around all the other events at the Showground.

Yes I'm, sure the continuity was a consideration but saying it had nothing to do with one of your riders (Ryan Fisher) racing for Friday nighters Coventry who are also ran by the same promotion with many persons involved at both clubs is gobbledygook!

Peterborough speedway ran continuously on Friday nights from their formation in 1970 right up to 2000 with no problems including Friday nights when the Showground was awash with people involved in setting up a weekend show. Indeed I remember absolutely huge crowds in 1970-71 7-8000+ when the club ran meetings coinciding with big shows taking place there!

If running on Friday nights was viable for 30 years then it should of been viable afterwards as well!

Enough people have come on here saying Tuedays aren't viable for them while Fridays would be and the people who come on this forum would only be a small % of Peterboroughs crowds and potential Friday night fans!

Lets use a similar example at ironically Mick Hortons other club Coventry a number of years ago. Now Coventry are one of the Countries best supported clubs but a whileback they moved to Thursday nights which resulted in a disasterous drop in crowd figures and Coventry soon moved back to Friday nights!

Peterborough have always attracted a fair amount of their support from out of the County let alone the City and now on Tuesday nights this travelling support would no doubt have dwindled!

Its been stated that Peterboroughs break even crowd figure is 700 - I think Friday night speedway would comfortably achieve this which would mean the club would making a profit!

People will travel to Peterborough to watch because the track is fairly unique and normally produces good exciting, very fast speedway. Friday nights are much easier to do than Tuesdays!

Edited by 25yearfan

Yes I'm, sure the continuity was a consideration but saying it had nothing to do with one of your riders (Ryan Fisher) racing for Friday nighters Coventry who are also ran by the same promotion with many persons involved at both clubs is gobbledygook!

If '25yearfan' refers to your time supporting Peterborough you will know only too well that consistent Friday nights at the Showground are simply not available any more - the move away from Fridays over the years has certainly not been by choice for any promotion.

Had Panthers regular race-night been a Friday then the team-building would clearly have taken on a different complexion but it's frankly laughable to suggest that we deliberately avoided Fridays to accommodate Ryan.

• Like 3

If '25yearfan' refers to your time supporting Peterborough you will know only too well that consistent Friday nights at the Showground are simply not available any more - the move away from Fridays over the years has certainly not been by choice for any promotion.

Had Panthers regular race-night been a Friday then the team-building would clearly have taken on a different complexion but it's frankly laughable to suggest that we deliberately avoided Fridays to accommodate Ryan.

Even though consistent friday nights are not available are there enough dates available to for fill a seasons fixture list? with a few bank holidays and other dates thrown in?

last season we had 9 or 10 friday night meetings and didn't run on other fridays when the GPs were on (some meetings were mid week to accommodate GP riders)

i remember the start of last season when mr frost said friday night racing is back at the show ground!

Edited by andrew parker
  • Like 1

Even though consistent friday nights are not available are there enough dates available to for fill a seasons fixture list? with a few bank holidays and and other dates thrown in?

last season we had 9 or 10 friday night meetings and didn't run on other fridays when the GPs were on (some meetings were mid week to accommodate GP riders)

i remember the start of last season when mr frost said friday night racing is back at the show ground!

Yes, exactly the thoughts that went through my head as I was reading this thread.....

I suspect NW is being a tad disingenuous. No, we wouldn't just pick Tuesdays simply to fit Fisher into the team. But it's not just a rider is it? MH - and there must be others - can't be at Brandon AND at Alwalton on Friday evenings.

We can argue the toss with NW all day about the thinking behind the decision to go with Tuesdays for this season. Hindsight - such a wonderful thing! - tells us for sure that's it's not been the success they, rightly or wrongly, hoped it'd be. So let's focus on FRIDAYS. Slot in as many as possible this season and next season (please God there IS a next season!) make it our regular night like Frosty promised last year. It can't possible have an adverse effect on crowd figures and all logic says it will only increase them. By how much remains to be seen, but let's give it a proper try ffs!

Like Andrew Parker says, there must be plenty of Fridays available at the EoES even if not every single Friday. Plus there's 2 or 3 Bank Holidays. And we don't have to worry about clashes with Saturday GPs any more.

• Like 1

Absolutely. My offspring are now 21 & 16 respectively, and they used to kip in the car on the way home too. They were still often asleep when we carried them up from the car to bed. What's the problem?

Our 10 year old daughter regularly attends (admittedly she started attending when she was 2 months old) , we live in Northampton and to-date it has not effected her school attendance.

The only impact is that we do not stay behind - Promoters could mitigate this by NOT having intervals on school days during school term!!

Come to think of it she never goes to sleep before 10:30 -11:00pm anyhow.

I also believe race night is not a factor. When we first heard Peterborough were going to race on Tuesday - we thought it would be a nightmare - It was not. Looking at activities every night of the week we had something on with one or other of the kids or ourselves. You make decisions and prioritise what you want to do. In fact Alex gave up Tuesday night "Brownies" in favour of speedway.

We also later realised - years ago when we followed Milton Keynes - they rode on a Tuesday!!!

I also think people mix up "League racing" and "GP" racing two completely different things. League should be about Team Racing" and leave GP to Individual racing, The Elite League has tried to mutate into "Individual racing with 7 riders" and forgotten its roots.

Terry

edited - no idea how managed to post two messages in One!!

Edited by TAST

Our 10 year old daughter regularly attends (admittedly she started attending when she was 2 months old) , we live in Northampton and to-date it has not effected her school attendance.

The only impact is that we do not stay behind - Promoters could mitigate this by NOT having intervals on school days during school term!!

Come to think of it she never goes to sleep before 10:30 -11:00pm anyhow.

I also believe race night is not a factor. When we first heard Peterborough were going to race on Tuesday - we thought it would be a nightmare - It was not. Looking at activities every night of the week we had something on with one or other of the kids or ourselves. You make decisions and prioritise what you want to do. In fact Alex gave up Tuesday night "Brownies" in favour of speedway.

We also later realised - years ago when we followed Milton Keynes - they rode on a Tuesday!!!

I also think people mix up "League racing" and "GP" racing two completely different things. League should be about Team Racing" and leave GP to Individual racing, The Elite League has tried to mutate into "Individual racing with 7 riders" and forgotten its roots.

Terry

edited - no idea how managed to post two messages in One!!

Cant believe so many people think the race night isn't the problem :o as I've said before coventry now run on there correct race night which is a friday and get very good crowds again, tuesday is 'continuity day' just isn't working unfortunately and whoever made that decision made a bad call IMO

Pboro would get much better crowds on a Friday.

Even though consistent friday nights are not available are there enough dates available to for fill a seasons fixture list? with a few bank holidays and other dates thrown in?

Didn't think you would reply to this post Neil

Edited by andrew parker

Cant believe so many people think the race night isn't the problem :o as I've said before coventry now run on there correct race night which is a friday and get very good crowds again, tuesday is 'continuity day' just isn't working unfortunately and whoever made that decision made a bad call IMO

Pboro would get much better crowds on a Friday.

Didn't think you would reply to this post

couldn't agree more ;)

- Thursdays or Fridays for me every time!

I even go to Dry House on a Saturday rather than a 140 mile round trip to the EoES on a Tuesday... :t:

What I maintain is that I have doubts that a change of race night would produce the extra number through the gate that seems to be required.

Pboro would get crowds of over 1000 on a Friday at PL level easily, crowds on a friday last year were very good it was the other race days that let us down.

Coventrys race night was always a saturday they moved to fridays to help accomodate Chris Harris , i would of expected that many a bees fans would like a return to saturdays but there move to frdays isnt that bad any families with kids can still take them without the fact of school days .

Think Peterboro need to return to as many friday nights as they can get, without this i fear the end is near soon, the problems of track preparation and to many seemingly dodgy decisions regarding call offs is doing the clubs image no good at all, people are beginning to lose patience with what goes on and are starting to stay away, once you do stop going it soon becomes easy to give it a total miss and Peterboro just cannot allow this to keep happening.

Edited by scoobydoo

Pboro would get crowds of over 1000 on a Friday at PL level easily, crowds on a friday last year were very good it was the other race days that let us down.

I sincerely hope that you are correct.

Last season, in what some would say was a proper league with proper on the whole presentation, Panthers started off with 4 straight Fridays, followed by Poole with the world champion on a Thursday and a B/H Monday fixture against the Bees - so that took us to the end of May and - Frost added: “Crowd levels were disastrous in the first part of the season. They went up as the team began to perform well."

Think you're getting carried away with the pulling power of moving what we have on Tuesday to a Friday.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1