British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2014

i,m a Kings Lynn fan and was a regular at the Showground till this season so far I've been once Good Friday and doubt I shall make another meeting this season - reasons I've not gone drop to PL is one Tuesday nights is the other plus Swedish League live on TV is another reason . Pboro needed to race Fridays in the PL in my opinion and I'd be there to watch .

totally agree, and i'd be there too! i only missed 3 home meetings last season and so far this season haven't made any :(

i know the promoter's won't admit it but tuesdays were also set up for Ryan Fisher to ride for both Pboro and coventry.

• Like 1

So one of the reasons you don't go is the drop to PL and you would prefer to watch better quality Swedish League and then our assets on a Wednesday whilst getting your EoES fix by foisting PL on the locals on a Friday. If we could get regular Fridays, coupled with the organisation we had towards the end of last season then I doubt that we'd be having this discussion.

all I posted was the reasons why I and other fans I know don't attend - last thing I'm sure all speedway fans want is tracks to close - but if your promotion can afford to lose fans then so be it .

Whilst I still go to all Panthers home Premier League meetings I would much prefer that they were still in Elie League. This is of course unlikely to happen at least under the present management.

Come back Rick Frost but this time make a better job in the people you engage as your management team.

• Like 1

totally agree, and i'd be there too! i only missed 3 home meetings last season and so far this season haven't made any :( i know the promoter's won't admit it but tuesdays were also set up for Ryan Fisher to ride for both Pboro and coventry.

See post 1261 above Edited by NeilWatson

Don't get this talk of crowds being low because kids have to be up for school and adults up for work. For any locals, kids could still be tucked up in bed by 11pm at the very latest, so that's still around 7-8 hours sleep, that's plenty for a once a week meeting. Adults, get a grip. I manage to get to loads of away meetings, back sometimes at 1-2am and STILL up for work at 5. They don't go because they don't WANT to go.

Tuesdays is a nightmare if you have kids , it was near 10.30 when I got home Tuesday way to late if you have kids

Rubbish.

i,m a Kings Lynn fan and was a regular at the Showground till this season so far I've been once Good Friday and doubt I shall make another meeting this season - reasons I've not gone drop to PL is one Tuesday nights is the other plus Swedish League live on TV is another reason . Pboro needed to race Fridays in the PL in my opinion and I'd be there to watch .

Live speedway over TV anytime. There's always the Sky+ facility. You can whizz through the chat and delays and watch the racing in around 20-30 minutes AFTER you've put the kids to bed and still be in bed yourself by midnight. Edited by Shadders
  • Like 6

I really do not see that changing the race night is the panacea required. Tuesday may be bad for some and I appreciate it is difficult for those with children, however any night is probably not ideal for someone. A change of race night to Friday or indeed Sunday afternoon may well increase the crowds but not I fear to levels desired.

• Like 1

Tend to agree with you Shadders. We have ridden on a Thursday for the last few years, & the kids still had to get up for school Friday. If you are a proper supporter, you will make the effort whatever night your team races. Unfortunately, Peterborough don't have enough fans, & it will eventually cost us our club.

• Like 3

Tend to agree with you Shadders. We have ridden on a Thursday for the last few years, & the kids still had to get up for school Friday. If you are a proper supporter, you will make the effort whatever night your team races. Unfortunately, Peterborough don't have enough fans, & it will eventually cost us our club.

It's the same for a number of clubs, just about hanging on in there. Give it a couple of years and 2 or 3, maybe more would've gone to the wall.

Being a school night never stopped my old man taking me to west ham or white city when i was a kid. I just used to kip in the car on the way home!

Absolutely. My offspring are now 21 & 16 respectively, and they used to kip in the car on the way home too. They were still often asleep when we carried them up from the car to bed. What's the problem? Edited by Shadders
  • Like 3

Agree with Shadders, I don't go to half as many away trips as used too, but when I did was part and parcel getting in at 00.00 or 1am then getting up early for work, but was always worth it, to see your team away from home, and show your support. The home meetings I really don't get, MOST of them so far this season, have been done in quick time, and around 21.30 finish, so whats the problem? IMO if your children are having more than 10 hours, then theres something wrong there....

• Like 1

Which brings us back to the beginning as to why we don't have enough supporters? Why don't people want to attend, probably including some who would class themselves as proper supporters but will not turn to anything just because it's there (is that the definition of proper? Perhaps it is!)? Yes they risk not having that choice by their actions but irrespective of the night it's got to be a seen as a product worth turning out for. Compare the last few months of 2013 against 2014 and that might start to answer some of the questions?

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

Change of League + change of race night was always going to be a difficulty to overcome with attendances. I am led to believe that just up the road at Kings Lynn they have good crowds this season - with a successful EL Team (helped by our assets) and a Wednesday race night (school next day obviously) is the answer.

We have been close to losing speedway at Peterborough a couple of times, & that would be a tragedy in my opinion. Be interesting how many fans who have stopped attending will be on here moaning if we lose it completely.

But that's the use it or lose it negativity which just evades the question and doesn't solve anything. No speedway fan in their right mind or the establishment wants to lose a great track and facilities but you can't just expect people to turn up because it's there. That's enough for the few hundred but it's the others that are the problem.

• Like 2

We have been close to losing speedway at Peterborough a couple of times, & that would be a tragedy in my opinion. Be interesting how many fans who have stopped attending will be on here moaning if we lose it completely.

Very true PP.

You don't miss it until it's gone. By then it is too late.

Suddenly you are 'Forty Years' older and you still miss it. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I am led to believe that just up the road at Kings Lynn they have good crowds this season - with a successful EL Team (helped by our assets).

That's the double whammy isn't it (as well as Leicester down the road) or a triple if they win the EL, although the 2014 EL title will be like Foinavon winning the 1967 Grand National :D