British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2014

Suppose it's different for us that have had no top flight speedway for years , we are used to PL fare . You still get the odd one or two bemoaning the loss of EL racing on Ipswich threads . But a meeting between two evenly matched sides is a wonderful spectacle at any level , and surely any speedway is better than no speedway at all - which looked like being the case at Peterborough 3 or 4 months ago .

Good post Paulco with your point about evenly matched teams being spot on Id say.

There are some posts on the Ipswich thread that are vocal about missing the EL but IMO in the main they are hankering for something that no longer exists.

• Like 2

Is there any difference between the two leagues anymore?

.............................. and the Winner of the best reply to this Thread is.................................................... SPIN KING!!!! :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

Good post Paulco with your point about evenly matched teams being spot on Id say.

There are some posts on the Ipswich thread that are vocal about missing the EL but IMO in the main they are hankering for something that no longer exists.

I can't speak for others obviously, but one of the main reasons I miss the EL is the clubs in that division. I've said many times since we dropped a division that we just don't seem to have fitted in.

There are rivalries all over the place here in the PL, and we seem to be left out of all that and have none, zero.

Maybe now Peterborough have joined us we can enjoy some local rivalry.

Also having an EL side with only "one or two" top line riders, is still better than none for me.

I can't speak for others obviously, but one of the main reasons I miss the EL is the clubs in that division. I've said many times since we dropped a division that we just don't seem to have fitted in.

There are rivalries all over the place here in the PL, and we seem to be left out of all that and have none, zero.

Also having an EL side with only "one or two" top line riders, is still better than none for me.

Oh i dont know , Ipswich seem to upset Edinburgh on numerous occasions .....................never a bad thing :P

• Like 1

Agree that the lack of real local rivals has certainly been a negative for the Witches in the PL. IMO aside from that there are no others that jump out.

Peterborough joining will be a boost to that end.

As mentioned though we are starting to build some healthy rivalries with those further afield like Worky and the Moanarchs. These will only intensify over time.

Weve had superb battles with the likes of Somerset and Newcastle inparticular too.

Ive been more than happy with the choice.

• Like 4

Agree that the lack of real local rivals has certainly been a negative for the Witches in the PL. IMO aside from that there are no others that jump out.

As mentioned though we are starting to build some healthy rivalries with those further afield like Worky and the Moanarchs. These will only intensify over time.

Weve had superb battles with the likes of Somerset and Newcastle inparticular too.

Certainly looking forward to the Panthers coming to Somerset. I reckon both teams will ride each other's track well. Similar shape, albeit different size.

Hand on heart is the PL your preferred league of choice? If the promotion take us back in to the EL in 2015, would you be disappointed?

Hand on heart is the PL your preferred league of choice? If the promotion take us back in to the EL in 2015, would you be disappointed?

As an outsider - we would be sad to lose you from the Premier League.

Not only that - one of the BEST Tracks in the Country is now in the Premier League.

• Like 1

A tough question as I believe you should always aim to be at the highest level possible but at this time yes I feel the PL is best league for the Witches.

The last 3 years have been far more entertaining than the preceeding 3 in the Elite IMO.

Over the years I think we have been lucky to see some great entertaining riders in our ranks in both leagues.

I grew up with Sanders Sigalos Cook etc but still loved Moggo Norris etc just as much.

Then how could anyone complain to see Ricko Loram Gollob and Scotty?

Barker was superb to watch last year and to see new talent like Cam and Adam has been a pleasure.

• Like 1

Suppose it's different for us that have had no top flight speedway for years , we are used to PL fare . You still get the odd one or two bemoaning the loss of EL racing on Ipswich threads . But a meeting between two evenly matched sides is a wonderful spectacle at any level , and surely any speedway is better than no speedway at all - which looked like being the case at Peterborough 3 or 4 months ago .

As ever the voice of reason Paulco.

Damn - I was planning to visit Armadale in May - thank goodness only a couple of Monarchs know me these days ;-)

It would have been so very different if King's Lynn hadn't moved in the opposite direction - and you don't have Hackney to embarrass these days ;-)

Surely you could have a good row with Rye House....

Edited by rmc

Not bothered about the PL or EL.

Just wish we had MJJ :cry:

Do not have a contract to race in the England. Why?

- I'd have a problem with the excessive number of performances. I have contracts in Denmark, Sweden and Poland, so I think this is a sufficient number of professions. I have experience of the last three seasons, when I started full-time in Sweden, Denmark and Poland, and for me it was a sufficient dose of speedway for one season although the door is always open for the UK

Anyone else find it strange that he says the UK and not the Elite League?

Edited by Hougaard Racing Fans

Well, you'd best get clued up, cos it's PL or nowt for you now.

We had EL snobbery on this forum with Ipswich fans when they dropped down, some of then thought they'd take the PL by storm, but now they're mostly arguing amongst themselves.

Just having a read back through this thread, and I have to beg to differ with you here.

When we first dropped down none of us on here had a clue about the PL and what to expect in this league and were quite reserved in our expectations.

I can though, vividly remember numerous fans of other clubs saying we were going to run away with the lot when our first PL team was announced.

Edited by CardinalSin
  • Like 1

.............................. and the Winner of the best reply to this Thread is.................................................... SPIN KING!!!! :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

Who voted?

Not bothered about the PL or EL.

Just wish we had MJJ :cry:

Do not have a contract to race in the England. Why?

- I'd have a problem with the excessive number of performances. I have contracts in Denmark, Sweden and Poland, so I think this is a sufficient number of professions. I have experience of the last three seasons, when I started full-time in Sweden, Denmark and Poland, and for me it was a sufficient dose of speedway for one season although the door is always open for the UK

Anyone else find it strange that he says the UK and not the Elite League?

Is that the interesting news or is that still to come:

I wonder!

Some interesting news lies ahead for the Panthers... Can't say much more.

Must say that that's a disappointment tbh, much like MJJ really so not so far off?

Is there any difference between the two leagues anymore?

Yes there is. And in terms of racing I prefer the EL, not because there are more 'good' races, because to be honest I think the number of 'good' races in a meeting has been pretty much the same in PL and EL. But the first couple of bends are a little more cut and thrust in the EL, and there is a higher chance of a 'Wow, did you see that' kind of move happening.

That said, I enjoyed following Brum in the PL immensely and I wouldn't worry if we ever end up back there. There is slightly more variation in the teams you face, though not to the degree that some PL diehards would like to believe.

• Like 1

Yes there is. And in terms of racing I prefer the EL, not because there are more 'good' races, because to be honest I think the number of 'good' races in a meeting has been pretty much the same in PL and EL. But the first couple of bends are a little more cut and thrust in the EL, and there is a higher chance of a 'Wow, did you see that' kind of move happening.

That said, I enjoyed following Brum in the PL immensely and I wouldn't worry if we ever end up back there. There is slightly more variation in the teams you face, though not to the degree that some PL diehards would like to believe.

Fair enough, but this season the Elite League is only 13 heats long this season.

The other two heats are of manily National League standard, where the draft riders compete.

:t: I'd also say that cut & thrust, more speed & skill means that there's more chance of that wow factor over the whole course of the race, makes it worth turning up. Let's see what a year away delivers?

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

:t: I'd also say that cut & thrust, more speed & skill means that there's more chance of that wow factor over the whole course of the race, makes it worth turning up. Let's see what a year away delivers?

Even at Lakeside, Belle Vue and Eastbourne?

• Like 1

Even at Lakeside, Belle Vue and Eastbourne?

Probably not, only go to Peterborough so the point remains! No interest in going to Belle Vue or Eastbourne & went to Lakeside in 1992, that was enough!

• Like 1