British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2014

Re the Brum/WK tennis match - you are both right!!

In the EL the racers are in general better(faster) but in the PL the races are often better(closer)

Both can be/are great. Enjoy them for what they are - the same but different!

• Like 2

No - I'm no Snob - but you obviously are. :blush: :blush:

We must agree to differ. :) :)

You protest to much. At least i don't knock the PL and put it down at every opportunity. Jealous or snob, it is one or the other ;-)

Re the Brum/WK tennis match - you are both right!!

In the EL the racers are in general better(faster) but in the PL the races are often better(closer)

Both can be/are great. Enjoy them for what they are - the same but different!

A comment i fully support - well said!

Just don't let the EL basher read this - oooops!

I can understand the disappointment of Wealdstone and a few others to be honest.

When we dropped a division I was bitterly disappointed, even though I fully understood the clubs need for the change as we were struggling the last couple of seasons in the top flight and crowds dwindled.

The PL racing is good make no mistake about that, and don't be fooled in to thinking you're going to see riders wobbling around the track because that won't be the case.

But for me, there IS something missing in the PL compared to the EL.

I still go, and still enjoy it, but not as much as I did when we were in the EL even when we were struggling.

I can remember a meeting against Coventry about 4 years ago now, big crowd and it went to a last heat decider.

Hampel and Swiderski Vs Harris and Schlein. You could have cut the tension with a knife prior to that heat 15 with all four riders "gardening" at the gate for what seemed like an eternity.

When Hampel and Swiderski flew from the gate the roar was deafening.

I have yet to witness anything come remotely close to that in the PL.

Like I say the PL is very enjoyable, but for me there always seems to be a little something missing and I definitely don't get the same buzz and satisfaction as I did when watching the EL.

Edited by CardinalSin
  • Like 4

I can understand the disappointment of Wealdstone and a few others to be honest.

When we dropped a division I was bitterly disappointed, even though I fully understood the clubs need for the change as we were struggling the last couple of seasons in the top flight and crowds dwindled.

The PL racing is good make no mistake about that, and don't be fooled in to thinking you're going to see riders wobbling around the track because that won't be the case.

I still go, and still enjoy it, but not as much as I did when we were in the EL even when we were struggling.

I can remember a meeting against Coventry about 4 years ago now, big crowd and it went to a last heat decider.

Hampel and Swiderski Vs Harris and Schlein. You could have cut the tension with a knife prior to that heat 15 with all four riders "gardening" at the gate for what seemed like an eternity.

Like I say the PL is very enjoyable, but for me there always seems to be a little something missing and I definitely don't get the same buzz and satisfaction I did when watching the EL.

Exactly what I and others are trying to say.

So that seems to make Blackbird an Ipswich asset ( as is the other Boro reserve)

Quite ironic then that they will both ride against the Witches on Good Friday whilst our own reserve will be elsewhere with his parent club!

load of what you find in rowing boats bruv but you possess a better vocabulary than me

Like I say the PL is very enjoyable, but for me there always seems to be a little something missing and I definitely don't get the same buzz and satisfaction as I did when watching the EL.

Nicely put. Whether the PL is exciting we've yet to see but I look at those Panthers named compared to an EL side and there's no spark for me. If that's an EL snob then so be it. The slight difference in our two situations IMO is that we as a club didn't need to change. We'd just been probably the best EL side in the second half of the season. Frost had said that crowds were up and finances were not an issue to him as he has and makes a shedful, so how did it all change so quickly? Were we really under threat of closure? If it had been a new broom with ambition then Wealdstone might have been more accommodating but it isn't.

Edited by Crump99

I can understand the disappointment of Wealdstone and a few others to be honest.When we dropped a division I was bitterly disappointed, even though I fully understood the clubs need for the change as we were struggling the last couple of seasons in the top flight and crowds dwindled.The PL racing is good make no mistake about that, and don't be fooled in to thinking you're going to see riders wobbling around the track because that won't be the case.But for me, there IS something missing in the PL compared to the EL.I still go, and still enjoy it, but not as much as I did when we were in the EL even when we were struggling.I can remember a meeting against Coventry about 4 years ago now, big crowd and it went to a last heat decider.Hampel and Swiderski Vs Harris and Schlein. You could have cut the tension with a knife prior to that heat 15 with all four riders "gardening" at the gate for what seemed like an eternity.When Hampel and Swiderski flew from the gate the roar was deafening.I have yet to witness anything come remotely close to that in the PL.Like I say the PL is very enjoyable, but for me there always seems to be a little something missing and I definitely don't get the same buzz and satisfaction as I did when watching the EL.

as a Kings Lynn fan I too was very dissapointed when the Stars or then Silver Machine dropped to the PL but as a certain ex Lynn promoter had all but ruined the club when Buster took us into the PL it gave the the club the chance to get its self back on its feet as it did crowds improved and we had great success at PL level BUT I was also a regular at Pboro the racing was so much faster harder and so much more enjoyable , so when the Stars was given the chance to move back into the EL it was like a breath of fresh air to watch some of the worlds best in league racing at the NA again I've watched limited PL racing since and it just doesn't compare to the EL as you say it has a certain buzz .

That said if it was PL or nothing I'd take PL and as some have said the EL is watered down it is still the UK top speedway league and it's were I want to see the Stars race the only thing that's missing is the Panthers and Witches and Stars all in the EL .

• Like 1

Nicely put. Whether the PL is exciting we've yet to see but I look at those Panthers named compared to an EL side and there's no spark for me. If that's an EL snob then so be it. The slight difference in our two situations IMO is that we as a club didn't need to change.

I suppose any Speedway is better than none, however i share your views on thoughts of dropping down a league.

Hopefully the Panthers will soon be back in there rightful place in 2015 - fingers crossed for all Panthers fans who want to watch top level racing.

• Like 1

Nicely put. Whether the PL is exciting we've yet to see but I look at those Panthers named compared to an EL side and there's no spark for me. If that's an EL snob then so be it. The slight difference in our two situations IMO is that we as a club didn't need to change. We'd just been probably the best EL side in the second half of the season. Frost had said that crowds were up and finances were not an issue to him as he has and makes a shedful, so how did it all change so quickly? Were we really under threat of closure? If it had been a new broom with ambition then Wealdstone might have been more accommodating but it isn't.

I honestly think Rick was intending to to carry on, but something happened at the AGM again, and I thinkPanthers got shafted again in some way. Look at Rossiter's twitter and he said the meeting was worse than ever with a lot of shouting going on. We will probably never know as usual, it's just a shame that fans are never told the full and correct story.

• Like 2

I honestly think Rick was intending to to carry on, but something happened at the AGM again, and I thinkPanthers got shafted again in some way. Look at Rossiter's twitter and he said the meeting was worse than ever with a lot of shouting going on. We will probably never know as usual, it's just a shame that fans are never told the full and correct story.

Hmmmmmmm - interesting.

I have no doubt that he was and after reading quotes like "Speedway Star has learned as other have to their cost, you don't mess with the establishment. It's their way or no way" I'd imagine this AGM was the straw that broke Readypower's back. I read elsewhere that Readypower are still sponsoring Bjerre so perhaps Frost will return when speedway has gone through its bloodletting period. Irrespective of that, fair play to the consortium taking it on, if only hopefully short term at this level?

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

I may be wrong but thought that Frost notified their intention to quit on the Friday before the AGM started.

touchwood he'll get a decent run in the team for a change , he should score pts on away tracks in the premier with his gating , and will certainly score huge pts at home

Verdict still out on that one especially as he wont have seen too many of the tracks and his away form has been his Achilles heel for years but should be very good at the Showground.