British Speedway Forum

Matt Ford Already Planning To Fiddle Reserve Berths?

I suggest you have a look at his NL average and compare it to most of the others on the draft list!

Im aware the lad is a natural talent, but i think its unfair on him to be listed as an A grade rider!

Of course tho whoever signs him as a B grade later in the year will have one foot in the play offs (So Poole it is id imagine!)

Edited by stevebrum

I'm no Poole fan but surely all he is saying is that if Smart is going to miss lots of meetings then he can pick one of the 3 riders not drafted yesterday?? Pretty sure these riders were low down in the draft rankings so not exactly sure what he is doing wrong??

getting out of bed. :lol:

The Robert Lambert idea must be wide of the mark.....he was one of the seven from the original reserve draft list who couldn't / wouldn't commit to the conditions laid down and as such those riders can't be considered until next year if they are still eligible. Otherwise the draft would have to be staged all over again to be fair to all.

In case anybody is unclear, Robert Lambert is Number 14 on the list. This means he will be eligible to replace all Number 6's, but more importantly three Number 7's, Jacobs, Simon Lambert and the man, one position ahead of him in the list (at 13), and whose new promoter has within 24 hours of acquiring him looked to replace him, Lee Smart.

Ford knows this. Not saying Lambert is interested, but Ford is hence his pick and immediate press release to prevent his supporters getting too attached to Smart (he read this forum and saw what was happening). Smart is simply a pawn in all of this.

• Like 1

In case anybody is unclear, Robert Lambert is Number 14 on the list. This means he will be eligible to replace all Number 6's, but more importantly three Number 7's, Jacobs, Simon Lambert and the man, one position ahead of him in the list (at 13), and whose new promoter has within 24 hours of acquiring him looked to replace him, Lee Smart.

Ford knows this. Not saying Lambert is interested, but Ford is hence his pick and immediate press release to prevent his supporters getting too attached to Smart (he read this forum and saw what was happening). Smart is simply a pawn in all of this.

Robert Lambert DID NOT appear in the draft list - http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23327

• Like 1

Robert Lambert DID NOT appear in the draft list - http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23327

I didn't mean the draft list; I mean the list that will be used in 2014 for all EL reserves. In my opinion Robert Lambert slots in at Number 14, although everybody may slide down as other riders with a previous PL average (e.g. Charles Wright) slot in above him. Unless they introduce a special "he's too good rule" I don't see where else he fits.

He could of course be ruled ineligible for a 2014 reserve berth based on Steve Evans comment that he was to young for the draft.

There must be a possibility that Lambert will be in Kings Lynn's 1-5, so people might be a bit quick to think its Lambert. If I was Buster & the lad was interested, I would put him in to ensure he becomes an asset. Would also mean the other 4 riders in the top 5 would be very strong.

I actually suspect Robert Lambert would prefer a 1-5 position if the reserve heat formats are as suggested. Riding at second string he still gets to meet the reserves, but more importantly challenges himself against the big boys. His career to date suggests he want's the challenge. It also enables him to negotiate a contract rather than the fixed agreement for all reserves.

• Like 1

All the reserves have signed up to a £40 a point contract, Lambert won't do that... case closed.

Agreed.

But x thousands sponsorship per meeting?

Don't believe the BSPA have jurisdiction over that, which defeats the whole object.

Regardless of Lambert, I see riders dropping out because of the money, where as others are reaping the extra's. The worry then is actually having two British reserves available for each team, each match. The number of possible riders is already quite low; I think it is bordering on dangerous to use really inexperienced NL riders on low NL averages.

• Like 3

All this moaning & whinging about something that has not happened yet. A wheel has not turned & nobody is giving this new system a chance.I think it maybe time to put up & shut up & come back on here at the end of the season and say i told you so.I will be happy to eat any humble pie if your all right

Lambert declined the opportunity to be on the list! If you read his tweets today he might not even bother with UK, big ego that boy!

As for Matt Ford, think you'll find he's keen on a young Aussie becoming British! A great business brain a bit like Karen Brady, depends if he skurtz round the rules!

What's his twitter account name?

Apparently the main reason he wasn't in the draft was his continued racing in Germany on Sundays, which presumably contravened one of the conditions laid down. Perhaps he is already committed to riding in one of their national championship meetings?