British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

speedway was better attended before sky! that's answred you........sky always felt it had to explain the rules 10 yrs on, they don't do that with darts, tennis etc,,

the constant crazy rules speedway shoots itself in foot with don't help/guests..(poole had 4 guests and r/r one night)!..

promotions that really tried, did keep attendances reasonable, and I know commentators have to make a bad game seem interesting,

but viewers are not daft..

If there is one thing you can credit SKY for is keeping riders like Woffinden, Iversen, Ward etc riding here as without their backing over the last decade most of the top names would have moved out a long time ago.

The next season was a make or break year as I see it. They had to cut costs incase the SKY deal never went through and if it had failed the 2015 season would face even more cuts to make it survive at any level in the future. Poland and Sweden have big sponsors and money men behind them and Britain sadly cant get that backing.

Even with the Sky deal, the moves made this season are to help bring in more British riders and more affordable riders for the future years ahead.

speedway was better attended before sky! that's answred you........sky always felt it had to explain the rules 10 yrs on, they don't do that with darts, tennis etc,,

the constant crazy rules speedway shoots itself in foot with don't help/guests..(poole had 4 guests and r/r one night)!..

promotions that really tried, did keep attendances reasonable, and I know commentators have to make a bad game seem interesting,

but viewers are not daft..

Speedway attendances were in decline before SKY it is an on-going trend.

How do we know that SKY coverage hasn't actually reduced the rate of decline?

As I always say, please show us some factual attendance figures to back up your theory.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 3

I haven't read all 41 pages here but have got the impression that nothing has yet been officially announced regarding Sky EL coverage - and do we know for certain yet that Eurosport are still doing live GPs?

Like many others I'm sure, I need to renegotiate my Sky package as I don't need Sky Sports for anything except speedway!!

I haven't read all 41 pages here but have got the impression that nothing has yet been officially announced regarding Sky EL coverage - and do we know for certain yet that Eurosport are still doing live GPs?

Like many others I'm sure, I need to renegotiate my Sky package as I don't need Sky Sports for anything except speedway!!

Do you renegotiate your contract with Sky,I thought it was a case of you either re-new or you dont.

The Sky deal does not affect EuroSports coverage of the GPs,they remain on that channel.

• Like 1

Speedway attendances were in decline before SKY it is an on-going trend.

How do we know that SKY coverage hasn't actually reduced the rate of decline?

As I always say, please show us some factual attendance figures to back up your theory.

don't think I actually blamed sky, I maybe should of said sky hasn't increased attendances

Do you renegotiate your contract with Sky,I thought it was a case of you either re-new or you dont.

The Sky deal does not affect EuroSports coverage of the GPs,they remain on that channel.

I had a contract including Sky Sports - I cancelled after 2013 season and will renew for March but obviously if there is no speedway on Sky in 2014 then I won't.

Eurosport is now separate from the Sky Sports package - it is included in another package called Sky Entertainment. As the poster after you has confirmed GP coverage is continuing on Eurosport then I'll renew this only.

Eurosport deal was for 3 years so still 2014 & 2015

Good - Thanks :)

I had a contract including Sky Sports - I cancelled after 2013 season and will renew for March but obviously if there is no speedway on Sky in 2014 then I won't.

Eurosport is now separate from the Sky Sports package - it is included in another package called Sky Entertainment. As the poster after you has confirmed GP coverage is continuing on Eurosport then I'll renew this only.

Good - Thanks :)

You MAY have to wait until the Tapes go up for the first Meeting to make up your mind then. :unsure::blink:

The Advance Publicity is APPALLING!!! :mad: :mad:

I don't think that showing speedway on Sky makes one iota's diffence to crowd figures. It is on team on one night and if it is not your club on that night you will turn up on your local stadium to watch your team race that is if you are a true fan. Ok like many I have.t the spare cash to go to every race at home and I am not in a postion to go to away matches due to ill health.

If you where a true supportwer and it was your clubs turn to be shown on sky then either record it or watch it the day afyer that way you get to watch the racing twice or more. One the one at the track that is the real speedway with all the thrills spills and the smells and bells. All be it a cold shivery expirence. But if the racing is half good then you forget about the cold until you are on your way home.

I for one love to watch it on tv and love it even more watching it live at my local stadium. So no I don't think that the tv coverage has done any harm to the droping figures at the stadiums just a changing world, where people now have so much going on in thier lives that very few people, have an interest in our sport.

I for one have a feeling of going back in time when I went to Cradley Heath and Long Eaton now that I have my 9 year old grandson at my side. He loves the sport at the moment but I don't know if it will be that way when he gets to the age when he finds out about girls and he wants to go out with his mates on a race night. I can live in hope.

The only thing that has changes is peoples life styles.

It is a bit like our old corner shops.

• Like 1

If there is a new deal, I hope (but I don't expect) that the promoters have told sky that clubs want to hold their meetings on their normal race night rather than sky browbeating them into always changing to monday nights.

Maybe then the "live" attendances would look better - I know a lot of people who can't get to the track on mondays as they have other things to do but never miss a meeting on normal race night

• Like 1

If there is a new deal, I hope (but I don't expect) that the promoters have told sky that clubs want to hold their meetings on their normal race night rather than sky browbeating them into always changing to monday nights.

Maybe then the "live" attendances would look better - I know a lot of people who can't get to the track on mondays as they have other things to do but never miss a meeting on normal race night

You don't really think SKY gives a toss about that do you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As long as their schedules are filled - they couldn't care less. :angry: :angry:

Edited by The White Knight

You don't really think SKY gives a toss about that do you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As long as their schedules are filled - they couldn't care less. :angry: :angry:

Of course they don't care TWK.

Between themselves, Sunderland and Man Utd they manufactured Sunderland's successful passage into the Capital One cup final just to wind you up even more! ;)

• Like 1

You MAY have to wait until the Tapes go up for the first Meeting to make up your mind then. :unsure::blink:

The Advance Publicity is APPALLING!!! :mad: :mad:

Over the top responce.

The advance publicity is not Appalling, it is absent and you already know why. See this thread.

As you said yesterday 12 more weeks to go, and you don't get adverts for football or any sport with that lead time.

• Like 1