British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

I thought that Sky were getting it for free therefore there isn't going to be any revenue to share out anyway!

You pays your money (or not) and takes your choice with all the rumours flying around. :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

do you actually want this to fail?

it seems like you can't wait

is you being right more important than the health of the sport?

Do I want LIVE Monday night speedway to happen? NO! Sky won't be paying anything for it so clubs will lose revenue through diminished attendances, not to mention people's regular race night getting buggered about.

Would I like a once a week hourly summary show, kind of a "match(es) of the week" kind of thing, then yes. I think that would be far more beneficial for the sport and be in the best interests of its long term health.

Live TV and Live Radio won't do anything other than pander to the stay-at-home armchair fans who want everything for free. Clubs need fans to pay at the turnstiles, to be in the stadiums, and sponsors need to have them in the stadiums too to be exposed to their brands and products, and so a move away from live TV (where sponsors logos etc only get a bit part airing) will be a good thing.

• Like 2

Do I want LIVE Monday night speedway to happen? NO! Sky won't be paying anything for it so clubs will lose revenue through diminished attendances, not to mention people's regular race night getting buggered about.

Would I like a once a week hourly summary show, kind of a "match(es) of the week" kind of thing, then yes. I think that would be far more beneficial for the sport and be in the best interests of its long term health.

Live TV and Live Radio won't do anything other than pander to the stay-at-home armchair fans who want everything for free. Clubs need fans to pay at the turnstiles, to be in the stadiums, and sponsors need to have them in the stadiums too to be exposed to their brands and products, and so a move away from live TV (where sponsors logos etc only get a bit part airing) will be a good thing.

Yep,

All the worlds biggest, most successful sports aren't shown live on tv or radio.

He might be onto something.... oh wait...

• Like 6

Once upon a time there were.................................................................................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fat chance BW - enhancing Pockets - possibly. :rolleyes::sad:

Who's pockets ?

All the worlds biggest, most successful sports aren't shown live on tv or radio.

Here's the news! Speedway ISN'T a successful sport in the UK, and it isn't big either. Team GB is crap and all the clubs are losing money, big style. Before it wants to join the ranks of the big and the successful, the sport first has to survive, and then grow and succeed. Pretending to be a serious sport in this country hasn't done speedway any good at all in the last however many years since Sky were involved.

I'm sure that you'd love to carry on watching live speedway on television and you won't care a jot if the loss of revenue caused in the name of providing you with your entertainment causes clubs to go under. What would you care? You'll just start watching Swedish or Polish speedway on television instead.

I heard a whisper last night that some clubs are calling for a bigger share of the spoils because they consider they are a more attractive proposition than others and feel they should be compensated for appearing on television more!!

That wouldn't surprise me at all and i probably wouldn't be surprised who those clubs might be if we ever found out.

You have to survive today before you think forward to tomorrow.

There are bigger issues within Speedway that need addressing before we completely block out a Television company that shows our great sport to the masses.

TV is NOT to blame for the mess Speedway is in. That is much closer to home.

• Like 1

Here's the news! Speedway ISN'T a successful sport in the UK, and it isn't big either. Team GB is crap and all the clubs are losing money, big style. Before it wants to join the ranks of the big and the successful, the sport first has to survive, and then grow and succeed. Pretending to be a serious sport in this country hasn't done speedway any good at all in the last however many years since Sky were involved.

I'm sure that you'd love to carry on watching live speedway on television and you won't care a jot if the loss of revenue caused in the name of providing you with your entertainment causes clubs to go under. What would you care? You'll just start watching Swedish or Polish speedway on television instead.

None of that is the fault of being on TV. The blame if it to be applied lies with the promoters failing to capitalise on the exposure and making no effort to present what to the casual viewer would be 'the place to be'.

I'm still waiting for you to backup your claims that Radio WM were keeping the crowds down at Brum and that the fact they were stopped from broadcasting caused the increase.

Nothing to do with a series of .£10 entry offers and the team at the top of the league....

Edited by BWitcher

Fair points - i doubt many new fans are won over by endless delays and boring races on TV

a highlights programme would avoid this and show the sport in its best light

but then they'd turn up for the real thing! And that needs adressing

I myself can't afford to attend regularly at 16/17 plus a week

Fair points - i doubt many new fans are won over by endless delays and boring races on TV

a highlights programme would avoid this and show the sport in its best light

but then they'd turn up for the real thing! And that needs adressing

I myself can't afford to attend regularly at 16/17 plus a week

They wouldn't care if they saw big crowds, they'd think, wow, I need to check this out.

The racing makes bugger all difference. You could have a whole season of amazing racing on Sky, it wouldn't attract anyone if there were only a few hundred in the stadium watching it.

Have a whole season of average racing with a packed stadium and some attempts to create an atmosphere and you'd get folk out of their armchairs.

• Like 1

There are bigger issues within Speedway that need addressing before we completely block out a Television company that shows our great sport to the masses.TV is NOT to blame for the mess Speedway is in. That is much closer to home.

Spot on, Mr P! Showing the best bits in a weekly show, cutting out all the crap, would highlight what a great sport it is

If the promoters, officials and the riders all then pull their weight together to reduce the amount of crap there is, the future could just be a little brighter

• Like 1

Yet again I have to ask why this constant, simplistic assumption by some on the BSF that you have to choose between watching at home and actually going to meetings? I do both and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Well said. Bet we all record the SKY meetings to watch AFTER going to see the real thing live.

Why should it come down to choice? Cant we have both?

And NO, it wont encourage people back on the terraces because it isn't on telly. Simples.

• Like 1

The "live TV keeps fans away" argument was used by football authorities all through the 70s and early 80s when crowds were diminishing rapidly, stadiums were disgraceful tips, pitches were mudheaps and the product on the field was generally poor (sound familiar?) . The turnaround in football's fortunes started when Greg Dyke and ITV finally persuaded the FA and the Football League to allow live televised games. This brought live football into homes throughout the country, created new interest that peaked with the 1990 World Cup and the game hasn't looked back since.

I'm not suggesting speedway has any chance of that kind of success, but in the 21st century live TV is a fantastic way of getting speedway's message out there, potentially reaching thousands of people who might be tempted to visit a local track. It's the kind of coverage modern sports fans expect.and it's up to the promoters to do something they mostly haven't so far and promote the TV meetings hard, get a decent crowd in, prepare a decent track and the result should be a decent meeting that makes a night at the speedway look something worth considering. It is also an attractive enducement for riders to put in front of potential sponsors.

I've just flicked through the sports channels and the only sports I can find that have only a highlights show (as opposed to condensed versions of events that have already been shown live) are carp angling and something call ice cross (?). That tells us TV channels aren't much interested in highlights shows and the reason for that will be that viewers and advertisers aren't much interested in highlights shows.

• Like 2

They wouldn't care if they saw big crowds, they'd think, wow, I need to check this out.

The racing makes bugger all difference. You could have a whole season of amazing racing on Sky, it wouldn't attract anyone if there were only a few hundred in the stadium watching it.

Have a whole season of average racing with a packed stadium and some attempts to create an atmosphere and you'd get folk out of their armchairs.

free tickets it is then! - who knows you could well be right

free tickets it is then! - who knows you could well be right

Yeah, why not free tickets? Give it some free live radio coverage, and put it on Eurosport for free too...not forgetting the free links to streaming channels on the internet... Who needs money?

BSF speedway followers might even be happy with that arrangement.

They wouldn't care if they saw big crowds, they'd think, wow, I need to check this out....Have a whole season of average racing with a packed stadium and some attempts to create an atmosphere and you'd get folk out of their armchairs.

The answer to getting people out of their armchairs by wowing them with "big crowds" and "atmosphere" that have to be "checked out" is very simple...and one that the BSPA through their cohorts at GoSpeed International have the power implement...namely showing Polish speedway on television. So you have to ask yourself, why don't they do that? Why have GoSpeed bought the international media rights for the Extraliga only to NOT show it on television? Showing "big crowds" and "atmospheres" are obviously not the way that they want speedway to be portrayed. Can't show big Polish crowds on Sundays and then the EL equivalent of one man and his dog on a Monday night can they?

Granted, as someone said, the problems with speedway are closer to home. Let's face it the British speedway product stinks..but that has to be remedied before it gets televised. Carrying on showing a rotting corpse on live tv will do nothing at all to turn it's fortunes around.

... football's fortunes started when Greg Dyke and ITV finally persuaded the FA and the Football League to allow live televised games. This brought live football into homes throughout the country, created new interest that peaked with the 1990 World Cup and the game hasn't looked back since...

Didn't those powers of persuasion also involve hundreds of millions of £££,£££'s ? Weren't clubs compensated for reduced attendances and those clubs shown on television paid extra? So where's the similarity with what's being proposed by SkySports now where they simply won't charge for being there, and add nothing to the pot to compensate for reduced attendances? What's in it other than vanity for speedway now under this Sky proposal?