British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

That's it!

Enough's, enough!

Sky subscription cancelled!

The FA Cup Final's scheduled for May, and Sky can't tell me who's in it!

Don't you mean - who are Sunderland playing in the Cup Final? :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

It is known as suspense, a great build-up to a great announcement and when we eventually are told there will be a public holiday with street parties, dancing in the streets, commemorative mugs and a fancy dress competition. :party::rofl:

Especially in the town that is home to that famous Welsh football team - Total Network Solutions FC

Apart from forums etc we have very little by the way of an independent voice. I have taken speedway star since 1961 as as a kid. Since the inception of the GP series i have often felt that the Star had become too close to Establishments that run British and World Speedway. Quite understandable i suppose as that is where they get there bread and butter information from but seem to offer little support to those who complain via the letters page. A nice editorial about all that is wrong would go down well occasionally. That said the two contributions from PHILLIPRISING seems to suggest he is a tad fed up with them at the moment.

Edited by westhamboy66
  • Like 1

As said before, surely the BSPA are awaiting confirmation of any League(s) sponsorship before announcing that AND the new TV coverage deal!

I really can't see any major publicity advantage to Sky (or whoever?) for them to make any announcement until nearer the start of the televised meetings!!

(Sky publicity promos - 'Hey everyone, we're not sponsoring Speedway any more, it won't be called the Sky Sports Elite League any longer----------but we will be televising some meetings through the season'!!). :party::nono:

THINK they are quite entitled to "tell us" when they see fit ...

Typical response from the 'Star'.

So you advocate this ridiculous and childish treatment of a small but significant section of SKY viewers?

There is no reason for ir.

Nobody is asking SKY for the names and addresses of the riders or demanding to know who will prepare the track for the first meeting.

All thier customers are asking is will the sport be covered this season.

A 'respected' speedway promoter has already confirmed that it is but because this promoter jumped the gun SKY behaves like a petulant child and delays the announcement.

Treating customers this way is pathetic and the support the 'Star' gives such an attitude speaks volumes for that erstwhile 'voice of the sport'.

There is no need for it.

If that's your attitude Phil I am glad I was a Mail reader :)

Edited by pandorum

Typical response from the 'Star'.

So you advocate this ridiculous and childish treatment of a small but significant section of SKY viewers?

There is no reason for ir.

Nobody is asking SKY for the names and addresses of the riders or demanding to know who will prepare the track for the first meeting.

All thier customers are asking is will the sport be covered this season.

A 'respected' speedway promoter has already confirmed that it is but because this promoter jumped the gun SKY behaves like a petulant child and delays the announcement.

Treating customers this way is pathetic and the support the 'Star' gives such an attitude speaks volumes for that erstwhile 'voice of the sport'.

There is no need for it.

If that's your attitude Phil I am glad I was a Mail reader :)

you have very little evidence for some of the things you say here

also - whats the deal with getting on P Rising's back? He can't go off half cocked with wild speculation - none of the posters on here have any idea what the delay is if indeed it is a delay and not just waiting to be announced at a time that suits Sky

without Mr Rising's publication we''d be left with swivel eyed crackpots talking ill informed rubbish

It's the off season. Every year we get Phil's " I know something you don't "

Bully for you Phil. It would have been nice to announce it earlier so that riders would have been able to use the news to attract potential sponsors, as it's hard to get people to part with money without telling them what platform their investment will be shown on, funnily enough saying that you're in the star every week doesn't hold much sway in the real world . Most riders suits are made or are being made unfortunately without the league sponsors name on them. It's a great sport unfortunately in terms of organisation and public relations it seems to be run by a bunch of ten year olds.

• Like 5

Apart from forums etc we have very little by the way of an independent voice. I have taken speedway star since 1961 as as a kid. Since the inception of the GP series i have often felt that the Star had become too close to Establishments that run British and World Speedway. Quite understandable i suppose as that is where they get there bread and butter information from but seem to offer little support to those who complain via the letters page. A nice editorial about all that is wrong would go down well occasionally. That said the two contributions from PHILLIPRISING seems to suggest he is a tad fed up with them at the moment.

Speedway Star has learned as other have to their cost, you don't mess with the establishment. It's their way or no way.

Edited by uk martin

Bully for you Phil. It would have been nice to announce it earlier so that riders would have been able to use the news to attract potential sponsors, as it's hard to get people to part with money without telling them what platform their investment will be shown on, funnily enough saying that you're in the star every week doesn't hold much sway in the real world . Most riders suits are made or are being made unfortunately without the league sponsors name on them. It's a great sport unfortunately in terms of organisation and public relations it seems to be run by a bunch of ten year olds.

Whilst I totally agree the announcement should have been made by now, for sponsorship deals etc., especially with NL riders riding in the EL this coming season, it's hardly Phil's fault the announcement has not been made. He can only say a certain amount.

As far as I can see (I could be wrong), but part of the blame may be put at the door of a 'respected' (according to pandorum) Promoter, who opened his mouth to someone who (I presume) thought he could trust with that info, so, at the same time, part of the blame may be put at the door of the journo the aforementioned Promoter told. :unsure:

Also, perhaps the announcement may hinge on a Sponsorship deal for the League(s), being completed. :unsure:

He would know. But having a go at him for trying to give titbits of information is just plain rude.

At least someone within the inner circle of those in the know is trying to bring the rest of us a bit of insight.

Yet people still moan that information is hardly shared.

Crazy!

• Like 1