British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

Lastest post on Sky sport forum. Not sure if it is good news or bad news.

But someone posted that Sky and BT had both reduced thier bids seriously and the contract to show speedway was now in the hands of Premier Sport.

It is Sky based and you have to cough up £9.99 a month.Just hope it isn't yrue.

Lastest post on Sky sport forum. Not sure if it is good news or bad news.

But someone posted that Sky and BT had both reduced thier bids seriously and the contract to show speedway was now in the hands of Premier Sport.

It is Sky based and you have to cough up £9.99 a month.Just hope it isn't yrue.

Presumably you're referring to the http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Programming-Channels/Will-sky-show-speedway-next-year-2014/td-p/1407251/page/2 forum?

If so the post "I have read on various websites today, that speedway will be on premier sports in 2014, after sky and BT reduced there bids dramatically" wasn't an official one. I can't find anything to validate the post and suggest it is just more speculation.

Edited by Tkdandy

Presumably you're referring to the http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Programming-Channels/Will-sky-show-speedway-next-year-2014/td-p/1407251/page/2 forum?

If so the post "I have read on various websites today, that speedway will be on premier sports in 2014, after sky and BT reduced there bids dramatically" wasn't an official one. I can't find anything to validate the post and suggest it is just more speculation.

Just somebody making up nonsense, presumably in a trolling attempt to get Sky to come out and deny it.

But it doesn't work like that. The Sky forum people aren't going to be drawn into saying anything until Sky & BSPA are ready to announce the deal.

• Like 1

Just somebody making up nonsense, presumably in a trolling attempt to get Sky to come out and deny it.

But it doesn't work like that. The Sky forum people aren't going to be drawn into saying anything until Sky & BSPA are ready to announce the deal.

Quite right as well, how unprofessional would it be for anyone to do just that!!!!

I still don't know what PR advantage Sky (if it is Sky? :wink: ) will have in making any announcement?!

They will in effect and in reality be committing to a 'deal' that is much less that in any one of the past 15(?) or so years. Why would any organisation make a big announcement like that??

Its for the BSPA to announce - along with some new sponsorship, hopefully!!!

Premier sports isn't a sky company for a start. They use the Sky platform to air their programmes, a massive difference.They charge £9.99 without a contract just 30 days notice required. So your season of EL racing would cost less than £70 or the equivalent of four live meetings. Personally as i am able to get to meetings i would do that rather than watch it on the telly. I understand others don't have that option and want to watch some speedway so i think it would be a fair deal. Lets face it given the lack of quality in meetings televised in recent years sky have a point in not wanting to sponsor it. Even more of a concern for them is this season they can rightfully argue that the quality is further reduced in 2014 especially when compared with Poland and Sweden. Very few quality EL riders on show, bolstered by loads of journeymen PL riders doubling up and a fair amount of NL riders too. i don't have a problem with that but many supporters on this forum are asking the question about EL clubs and their admission charges that are charging too much given the reduction in quality.

For me the BSPA should have been negotiating elsewhere given that sky were not sending encouraging signals, perhaps they were and just made a hash of it. Who knows but we must remember just because we love the sport we mustn't forget it is buried deep with other minority sports as sky prefer to show sports like womens cricket, netball and now recently ping pong as it is now called.

Premier sports isn't a sky company for a start. They use the Sky platform to air their programmes, a massive difference.They charge £9.99 without a contract just 30 days notice required. So your season of EL racing would cost less than £70 or the equivalent of four live meetings. Personally as i am able to get to meetings i would do that rather than watch it on the telly. I understand others don't have that option and want to watch some speedway so i think it would be a fair deal. Lets face it given the lack of quality in meetings televised in recent years sky have a point in not wanting to sponsor it. Even more of a concern for them is this season they can rightfully argue that the quality is further reduced in 2014 especially when compared with Poland and Sweden. Very few quality EL riders on show, bolstered by loads of journeymen PL riders doubling up and a fair amount of NL riders too. i don't have a problem with that but many supporters on this forum are asking the question about EL clubs and their admission charges that are charging too much given the reduction in quality.

For me the BSPA should have been negotiating elsewhere given that sky were not sending encouraging signals, perhaps they were and just made a hash of it. Who knows but we must remember just because we love the sport we mustn't forget it is buried deep with other minority sports as sky prefer to show sports like womens cricket, netball and now recently ping pong as it is now called.

WHY do you assume that they (Go Speed/Terry Russell) made a "hash" of any negotiations outside of Sky. There is no actual evidence that any TV company other than Sky were remotely interested in screening domestic British speedway.

If, as rumoured, TR has secured a deal along the same lines as the previous Sky contract, then the BSPA should be taking their collective hats off to him.

There is no doubt that late last season Sky were not interested in renewing their speedway deal. Their change of heart is probably in no small part due to the challenge of BT Sport. In the grand scheme of things British speedway isn't that significant but Sky was perceived to be on a losing streak as far as sporting events was concerned and even retaining speedway was seen as a plus.

• Like 4

How do you know they (or their representative) weren't?

One thing I keep seeing coming up in this discussion is that instead of watching speedway on TV people should go to tracks and watch it live. It's a noble thought except.......

......why can't people do both?

Do you have to just do one or the other?

Is there some mysterious unwritten rule out there?

Of course (before anyone else jumps on it!), there are people who can't get to the tracks, for instance those in ill health etc.

But for those who can, then I agree with you entirely.

• Like 1

Very few quality EL riders on show, bolstered by loads of journeymen PL riders doubling up and a fair amount of NL riders too. i don't have a problem with that but many supporters on this forum are asking the question about EL clubs and their admission charges that are charging too much given the reduction in quality.

Only the fools who haven't grasped if they believe that then the PL have been ripping them off for years.

Regarding SKY coverage.

I still want to know why/how a Deal was announced be a Promoter weeks ago. :unsure: :unsure:

If there is NO Deal - how could he do this - or - was he lying? :angry::blink:

Ford lie? Surely not!!!

It was in jest.

Neither was it Motors TV camerawork.

How am I to know it was in jest from a sentence, usually if its a joke then people attach smiley's or LOL or something, looked like a serious comment to me.

It's a shame when you have to explain, isn't it?

You can do one as well.