British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

Awww! my hopes were raised when i saw two new pages had been added to this important thread since i last looked only to find it consists of everyone Googling and Wiki-ing Ping Pong! lol. Gee! is this what the off-season forums are reduced to? (says me with absolutely nothing sparkling or informative to add myself) :rofl:

Ok on second thoughts i do actually have one musing on the matter while we wait for news, i thought it was a good point a while back when someone (a rider?) mentioned that not knowing whether they will be appearing on Sky television is affecting potential sponsorship deals, and also will likely cause a backlog of racing suits needing to be prepared. I'm wondering now though if maybe the riders have since been informed there is a deal in place but not to go public with that knowledge?

Edited by manchesterpaul

Awww! my hopes were raised when i saw two new pages had been added to this important thread since i last looked only to find it consists of everyone Googling and Wiki-ing Ping Pong! lol. Gee! is this what the off-season forums are reduced to? (says me with absolutely nothing sparkling or informative to add myself) :rofl:

Ok on second thoughts i do actually have one musing on the matter while we wait for news, i thought it was a good point a while back when someone (a rider?) mentioned that not knowing whether they will be appearing on Sky television is affecting potential sponsorship deals, and also will likely cause a backlog of racing suits needing to be prepared. I'm wondering now though if maybe the riders have since been informed there is a deal in place but not to go public with that knowledge?

Yes we need to get back to the REAL debate having sorted out the "pings from the pongs!"

http://www.worldchampionshipofpingpong.net/news/video_ping_pong_the_basics.htm

This explains the differences between Ping Pong and Table Tennis.

Barry Hearn has introduced this tournament in an attempt to make the sport more spectator friendly by reducing the spin and speed impact of the sponge rubber bats currently used in table tennis by replacing them with standard bats containing a thin sheet of sandpaper rather than one of unlimited combinations of sponge and rubber pimples of different characteristics, thickness, speed and spin which have reduced the rallies so much in the modern game.

The idea is that longer rallies will be better entertainment for spectators and players will need to rely on their skill rather than relying on what the bat can do.

Good luck to him I say.

given the delay in the announcement of a new sky speedway deal, it seems this current rally may have to last a while yet.

So, like Wimbledon where they reduced the court speed, why can't they look at the TT playing surface? After all we wouldn't ask Murray to play with a wooden racket would we?..

I may be wrong but can't see this lasting past March when the 7 days a week elite league deal will kick it off the schedules.

So basically at the end of all this.. its not an 'entirely different sport' as Tsunami claimed in his attack on Gustix.

Its table tennis with different bats. The Ping-Pong is just the Hearn marketing.

It isn't a different sport in the slightest. It is simply table tennis with a bit of razzmatazz and a few tweaks thrown in

It is like saying Premier League Speedway and Elite League speedway are entirely different sports because a few rules and technical differences exist

Barry Hearn has introduced this tournament in an attempt to make the sport more spectator friendly by reducing the spin and speed impact of the sponge rubber bats currently used in table tennis by replacing them with standard bats containing a thin sheet of sandpaper rather than one of unlimited combinations of sponge and rubber pimples of different characteristics, thickness, speed and spin which have reduced the rallies so much in the modern game.

The idea is that longer rallies will be better entertainment for spectators and players will need to rely on their skill rather than relying on what the bat can do.

Good luck to him I say.

So Barry Hearn has spun this by reducing the spin. I don't know if I'm dizzy or not now!

So basically at the end of all this.. its not an 'entirely different sport' as Tsunami claimed in his attack on Gustix.

Its table tennis with different bats. The Ping-Pong is just the Hearn marketing.

Different bats, different balls , changes in the scoring, different technique and a separately registered sport, but YES, its just the same as Table Tennis. :D

Edited by Tsunami

I'm sure that having been made aware of the facts Tsunami, when comparing Ping Pong to Table Tennis people would conclude that it's the same only different! :wink:

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1