British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

Do sponsors really matter as long as they put the cash in. Are people really daft enough to be influenced by the name in front of their favourite sports league. Did people really drink Carling because of Football or put all their money into Barclays?

Anyway those who pay silly money to sky are idiots with no common sense. All the money saving sites point out the fact that you can get 50% off of your annual subscription. Sky are not the bad guys here. Some of the rubbish shown under the guise of Speedway was itself enough to make sky lose interest i rarely watched a meeting being broadcast to the finish as the racing was generally pathetic. Speedway had a chance to get into the big time again but those administering the sport and sadly some of the riders too were guilty of feathering their nests without a care in the world for the sport's fans

Racing is and was not much different from that of years ago. Racing back in the early 90's was a HELL of a lot more strung out than it is now for example.

I've just dragged myself away from Sky Sports4 coverage of the The World Ping Pong Championships to see if there's been any update or announcement?!

No, nothing! Still I can't recall any announcement about Ping Pong either - it just appeared in Sky's programme schedules!! :t::D

I've just dragged myself away from Sky Sports4 coverage of the The World Ping Pong Championships to see if there's been any update or announcement?!

No, nothing! Still I can't recall any announcement about Ping Pong either - it just appeared in Sky's programme schedules!! :t::D

That's a bit derisory - to describe table tennis as ping pong. It is a really fast and spectacular sport at top level and players have to be very fit.

However, I do think it is extremely wrong that dirt track motorcycle racing - sorry speedway - seems to have been left out. Table tennis by the way is a recognised Olympic sport.

Edited by Guest

That's a bit derisory - calling table to describe table tennis as ping pong. It is a really fast and spectacular sport at top level and players have to be very fit.

However, I do think it is extremely wrong that dirt track motorcycle racing - sorry speedway - seems to have been left out. Table tennis by the way is a recognised Olympic sport.

Are you for real and know anything.

Ping Pong is a sport with standard rackets and entirely different from Table Tennis, and both hold their own Championships.

Obviously humour is also not for you.

Ping Pong is a sport with standard rackets and entirely different from Table Tennis, and both hold their own Championships.

Thank you for the information. It's nice to learn something new. In all the years I worked in sports journalism the premise by myself and others was that Ping Pong was a lesser comment for table tennis.

In view of your profound comment can you explain this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_Pong

Is it pick on Gustix week?

It probably is...much more than a week however. There are some who seize on virtually everything I comment on and delight in deriding any opinion I make. It's flattering (!!!) to see that I attract so much attention from a few people.

When I did something similar a couple of months ago, one Mod banned me for several days and gave me two warning points!

Edited by Guest

Apart from the rackets, in what way is it 'entirely different'?

Curious as there doesn't seem to be much information available...

When I played Table Tennis for a Club - they were Table Tennis Bats - not rackets.

However whenever I played a Match and couldn't go out with my Pals they used to take the mickey by saying - oh he's off to play Ping Pong. I always understood that this was a derogatory term for Table Tennis.

I am open to being corrected if I am wrong.

Ping pong is another minority sport picked up and promoted by Barry Hearn.

I think they use standard bats and slightly larger balls. Remember reading somewhere it's about slowing the game slightly to have longer rallies

Hearn promotes, puts the championship in Alexandra Palce the week after the darts, tinkers with the rules a bit & sells coverage to Sky.

Ping pong is another minority sport picked up and promoted by Barry Hearn.

I think they use standard bats and slightly larger balls. Remember reading somewhere it's about slowing the game slightly to have longer rallies

Hearn promotes, puts the championship in Alexandra Palce the week after the darts, tinkers with the rules a bit & sells coverage to Sky.

Thanks for this. We live and learn all the time.

Using traditional sandpaper rackets, the World Championship of Ping Pong is a throwback to the early days of table tennis and aims to catapult ping pong into the big league and onto the international television stage.

So I guess they will be on 2 valve uprights and wearing black leathers :lol:

• Like 2