British Speedway Forum

Sky Sports New Deal

Why not use them??? Both pay good money and a Premier League football team has Wonga as a main sponsor so clearly they do pay big.

I'm not keen on money lender's but these are the best possible sponsor's to get along with a bookies.

Because one are corrupt scumbags who prey upon the poor and the other one is a pawn shop :)

I think Wonga sponsor several football teams and football will sell itself to anybody it's that greedy but I doubt speedway will get more than a middling championship players salary out of it really.

I was being facetious with my remark but it's still embarrassing being sponsored by a pawn shop surely :rofl:

Just had another negative e-mail from the Sky forum.

The person from Sky still states as they have been doing for the last few months.

That they do not know anything yet about the showing any speedway for 2014. They are not even giving any hope that they are going to show any coverage of the sport. Pretty poor show from them I think. There have been several people asking Sky if they are going to show speedway and threatening to cancel thier subsciption. But still all you get from them is the same negative response.

Not a good way to run a set up to me. It would be far simpler just to say YES or NO.!!!!!!!!!!!

What do expect Sky to tell you,if negotiations are on going then its difficult to see what either side can tell us,try emailing Mr Russell or anyone else connected to his company or the BSPA and try to get something else out of them.

• Like 1

Oh for the days of 'Durex - The Crowd Stopper'. All was going well in their sponsorship of a test series, everyone was being so respectful and toeing the line of "it's a modern world - time to treat products like this with respect" - then came the Birmingham test and a local radio presenter working the centre green failed to follow the script.

"Okay, tonight's meeting is sponsored by Durex - you know, the funny-tasting chewing gum you get in the bogs".

Yes but Durex did not seek to empty your bank account and were more like a safety deposit box!

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 2

What do expect Sky to tell you,if negotiations are on going then its difficult to see what either side can tell us,try emailing Mr Russell or anyone else connected to his company or the BSPA and try to get something else out of them.

I understood, from comments on other Threads, that 'a Promoter' had 'leaked' the fact that the Deal was done and that SKY were showing Speedway on their Channels in the new Season.

• Like 1

Just had another negative e-mail from the Sky forum.

The person from Sky still states as they have been doing for the last few months.

That they do not know anything yet about the showing any speedway for 2014. They are not even giving any hope that they are going to show any coverage of the sport. Pretty poor show from them I think. There have been several people asking Sky if they are going to show speedway and threatening to cancel thier subsciption. But still all you get from them is the same negative response.

Not a good way to run a set up to me. It would be far simpler just to say YES or NO.!!!!!!!!!!!

come on guys, Dont sound to shcoked about it what sky says. They have been like this for years. All they care is money. No company had been able to touch them for years but i think that might change for speedway fans in time to come. At one point sky thought speedway was the oval racing they showed not motorbike racing. As long as people want to pay stupid moeny for sky why should they know what and when they are showing sport.

Poole Pirates promoter Matt Ford informs Daily Echo that Sky Sports have agreed a 5 year broadcast only deal to show Elite League #speedway

Ford said Sky Sports decided against sponsoring league directly, resulting in reduced deal which will be "structured differently". #speedway

Ford, however, expressed his delight at the deal, lauding security coverage gives EL #speedway and opportunity to add a league sponsor.

I understood, from comments on other Threads, that 'a Promoter' had 'leaked' the fact that the Deal was done and that SKY were showing Speedway on their Channels in the new Season.

Matt Ford has done a lot of back-pedaling since then. Maybe he should take up cycle speedway?

As for anyone objecting to Sky making money, there's nothing to stop you buying shares in BSkyB and benefiting from their business acumen. They are a commercial enterprise after all, not a social service.

• Like 2

come on guys, Dont sound to shcoked about it what sky says. They have been like this for years. All they care is money. No company had been able to touch them for years but i think that might change for speedway fans in time to come. At one point sky thought speedway was the oval racing they showed not motorbike racing. As long as people want to pay stupid moeny for sky why should they know what and when they are showing sport.

I pay for Sky and to me its not stupid money its worth every penny, as for what and when, the season is two and a half months away so whats the problem FFS....

• Like 2

Why not use them??? Both pay good money and a Premier League football team has Wonga as a main sponsor so clearly they do pay big.

I'm not keen on money lender's but these are the best possible sponsor's to get along with a bookies.

Isn't there an old saying "be careful who you sleep with"? I think there is something to that effect. I can't be bothered to do a Google check for quotations.

Do sponsors really matter as long as they put the cash in. Are people really daft enough to be influenced by the name in front of their favourite sports league. Did people really drink Carling because of Football or put all their money into Barclays?

Anyway those who pay silly money to sky are idiots with no common sense. All the money saving sites point out the fact that you can get 50% off of your annual subscription. Sky are not the bad guys here. Some of the rubbish shown under the guise of Speedway was itself enough to make sky lose interest i rarely watched a meeting being broadcast to the finish as the racing was generally pathetic. Speedway had a chance to get into the big time again but those administering the sport and sadly some of the riders too were guilty of feathering their nests without a care in the world for the sport's fans

• Like 2

Do sponsors really matter as long as they put the cash in. Are people really daft enough to be influenced by the name in front of their favourite sports league. Did people really drink Carling because of Football or put all their money into Barclays?

No of course sponsors don't matter.

Multi-national companies employ eejits who just pump money into sponsorship deals with no accountability to shareholders.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

No of course sponsors don't matter.

Multi-national companies employ eejits who just pump money into sponsorship deals with no accountability to shareholders.

I imagine companies sponsor things for different reasons, such as:- sympathy towards the cause/sport, tax relief, name awareness/name exposure. I would have thought shareholders would have a say, especially major shareholders, such as pension funds and investment companies.

I imagine companies sponsor things for different reasons, such as:- sympathy towards the cause/sport, tax relief, name awareness/name exposure. I would have thought shareholders would have a say, especially major shareholders, such as pension funds and investment companies.

From experience I'd suggest pension funds and investment companies have no say. Those decisions are left to those who are paid to do it in the "sponsor" company - mindful of doing what's best for the business.