British Speedway Forum

Havvy's Farewell - Poole Speedway - Friday 21st March 2014

exactly it is a huge fuss over nothing. a rider who has had his testimonial now lining his pockets with a farewell meeting he could have at anytime in the last 18 months then everyone gets up in arms when a good individual meeting is arranged on the same day. A meeting that sky will televise and hopefully attract more people into our ailing sport. Both meetings can run on the same night as i said doubt many people north of Poole will bother to travel and personally Havvy should never have had it at Poole in the first place the guy is northern through and through and i felt sorry for the Middlesborough, Bradford and Redcar fans he would have made travel.

Most people can see that by running on the same night you can count on one hand the people that will be going to both. The Poole fans dont travel to the ELC and most people north of Watford gap wouldnt go to Havvys.

Run both on the same night or run them on different nights and the crowd would be practically the same.

Everyone keeps quoting ELC. I thought it was ERC - or - am I wrong?

LATEST NEWS..........................................................................

Gary Havelock will make an exclusive announcement regarding his farewell meeting in a live telephone interview during the Riders Equipment Fund Speedway Quiz on Wednesday night at the Champs Bar, Poole Stadium.

The former World Champion and Pirate’s captain will talk to host, Nigel Leahy and reveal plans for his meeting including the staging date along with the format, some of the confirmed riders, and a few special features that are sure to capture the imagination of fans.

Havelock’s arrangements for the event were upset at the weekend when it was announced that the BSPA had re-scheduled the Elite Riders Championship at Coventry to take place on the date advertised for the Havvy’s Farewell.

The speedway quiz is open to all fans and members or non-members of the REF. Doors open at 7.00pm with the quiz due to start at 7.30pm

Competing teams can be made up of a maximum six persons but fans are encouraged to come along in smaller groups if they would like to join forces with others in a bid to win the prizes!

Entry is at £4.00 for REF members and £5.00 for non-members.

• Like 1

exactly it is a huge fuss over nothing. a rider who has had his testimonial now lining his pockets with a farewell meeting he could have at anytime in the last 18 months then everyone gets up in arms when a good individual meeting is arranged on the same day. A meeting that sky will televise and hopefully attract more people into our ailing sport. Both meetings can run on the same night as i said doubt many people north of Poole will bother to travel and personally Havvy should never have had it at Poole in the first place the guy is northern through and through and i felt sorry for the Middlesborough, Bradford and Redcar fans he would have made travel.

Most people can see that by running on the same night you can count on one hand the people that will be going to both. The Poole fans dont travel to the ELC and most people north of Watford gap wouldnt go to Havvys.

Run both on the same night or run them on different nights and the crowd would be practically the same.

Sky showing this meeting will not attract one new fan to this ailing sport.

The faux outrage on here is a joy to behold. Havelock should be thanking the BSPA to high heaven for the publicity this 'much ado about nothing' incident has given him. A few days ago probably a lot of speedway fans even knew let alone cared when this 'Benefit' meeting was, now it has received publicity he couldn't have even of dreamed of. You have to half expect that Uncle Matt has planned the whole episode. :wink:

From the 29th November to the 30th January there wasn't one single post on this meeting either from the organisers or his so called devoted fans. Thousands of meaningless posts from the Poole intelligentsia on every topic under the sun, but of this meeting complete indifference. :approve:

If Ford was to only offer Havelock a job down there ,he could make a decision that would finally unite both Coventry and Poole fans. :D

I reckon young Havvy will need to reschedule his meeting after all,if only to recover from the nasty repetitive strain injuries he received over the weekend on twitter.. :D I was informed that he even broke the retweeting record of 'hot SGP 2014 favourite' Chris Harris..shockeroony :shock:

Edited by Young51
  • Like 3

BSPA Statement - http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23718

Can anyone make sense of the second paragraph please?

Havvy's date was in the book and has been for ages...SO, as I understand it (and I may be wrong) Sky & Terry Russell trading as GoSpeed present the BSPA with a shortlist of dates to reschedule the ERC to. So it's not their fault, or is it?

THEN the BSPA decide to choose Havvy's big day on which to have their showcase event. Is that right? SO are the BSPA saying (without being big enough to actually say it), that it is their fault?

What's not said is how short the short list of dates was that was offered by Sky & Terry Russell trading as GoSpeed, Where there several dates on offer, so that it really took an act of spite on the part of the BSPA to screw Havvy up? Or did Sky & Terry Russell trading as GoSeed give a Soviet style choice of Friday 21st, Friday 21st or Friday 21st?

And in the 3rd paragraph, it says that the BSPA will work with the Poole promotion and Havvy to offer an alternative date. In other words, Matt Ford will be "reminded" of which association he as a promoter belongs to and has to obey, with the provision of stadium and promotional facilities, and Havvy will have to do as he is told, else face disciplinary action as a team manager and subject to the BSPA / SCB's interpretation of good order and discipline.

Shafted, screwed, and bullied, are just the repeatable words to describe Havvy's plight. Never since Judas has anyone been as sold-out as Havvy. I hope that the pieces of silver that Terry Russell trading as GoSpeed and the BSPA earn from Sky make them proud to be alive.

Edited by The Pedaler

BSPA Statement - http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23718

Can anyone make sense of the second paragraph please?

Havvy's date was in the book and has been for ages...SO, as I understand it (and I may be wrong) Sky & Terry Russell trading as GoSpeed present the BSPA with a shortlist of dates to reschedule the ERC to. So it's not their fault, or is it?

THEN the BSPA decide to choose Havvy's big day on which to have their showcase event. Is that right? SO are the BSPA saying (without being big enough to actually say it), that it is their fault?

What's not said is how short the short list of dates was that was offered by Sky & Terry Russell trading as GoSpeed, Where there several dates on offer, so that it really took an act of spite on the part of the BSPA to screw Havvy up? Or did Sky & Terry Russell trading as GoSeed give a Soviet style choice of Friday 21st, Friday 21st or Friday 21st?

And in the 3rd paragraph, it says that the BSPA will work with the Poole promotion and Havvy to offer an alternative date. In other words, Matt Ford will be "reminded" of which association he as a promoter belongs to and has to obey, with the provision of stadium and promotional facilities, and Havvy will have to do as he is told, else face disciplinary action as a team manager and subject to the BSPA / SCB's interpretation of good order and discipline.

Shafted, screwed, and bullied, are just the repeatable words to describe Havvy's plight. Never since Judas has anyone been as sold-out as Havvy. I hope that the pieces of silver that Terry Russell trading as GoSpeed and the BSPA earn from Sky make them proud to be alive.

Its obvious sky run the show on what dates they want the meeting on. be interetsing to see Matt Fords stance on this. Havvy will or should have to do what he is told its that simple. he doesnt govern the sport and has had one testimonial already.

Sky showing this meeting will not attract one new fan to this ailing sport.

nice to see a bit of positivity.

i wont be going to the ERC but i will be watching on tv and my cousin and wife are round that night so whats to say they dont enjoy it and want to go.

I showed a mate of mine Mark Loram winning the gp in Linkopping on you tube and he had never been speedway in his life. He has since been Foxhall 5 times with me and his wife has come twice now as well and we are all going to Risagers testimonial as well.

So to say speedway on the box wont attract people to the sport is rubbish. However if the ERC is a poor meeting it wont. Thats why the BSPA need to stand firm on the date.

Yet again THERE ARE ENOUGH RIDERS FOR BOTH MEETINGS!!!!

• Like 3

Nobody doubts there are enough riders to hold both meetings, its just that some of those riders happen to be the same people. Just saying the ERC is a shared event and that all are contractually obliged to attend is all well and good but not so easy circumvented when some of the riders have already agreed to ride for Havvy on the same day.

I think legally the BSPA would be on dodgy ground if they tried to ban and fine riders who stick with Havvy and no doubt the easy way out, if a change of date isn't suitable, would be an ex gratia payment to the Havvy fund in lieu of the upset caused.

Agree with Salty that now the BSPA (Jon Cook) have admitted its the BSPA at fault, then if the date still holds for both meetings the BSPA would be on even worse ground if they start to ban or fine riders!!

Anyway not long to wait til Wednesday evening for a packed house, including me, at Champs Bar to hear from Havvy himself!!

Edited by Skidder1

Agree with Salty that now the BSPA (Jon Cook) have admitted its the BSPA at fault, then if the date still holds for both meetings the BSPA would be on even worse ground if they start to ban or fine riders!!

Anyway not long to wait til Wednesday evening for a packed house, including me, at Champs Bar to hear from Havvy himself!!

Will you need a Translator? :shock: :shock: :blink:

He is from oop North you know. :D

LATEST NEWS..........................................................................

Gary Havelock will make an exclusive announcement regarding his farewell meeting in a live telephone interview during the Riders Equipment Fund Speedway Quiz on Wednesday night at the Champs Bar, Poole Stadium.

The former World Champion and Pirate’s captain will talk to host, Nigel Leahy and reveal plans for his meeting including the staging date along with the format, some of the confirmed riders, and a few special features that are sure to capture the imagination of fans.

Havelock’s arrangements for the event were upset at the weekend when it was announced that the BSPA had re-scheduled the Elite Riders Championship at Coventry to take place on the date advertised for the Havvy’s Farewell.

The speedway quiz is open to all fans and members or non-members of the REF. Doors open at 7.00pm with the quiz due to start at 7.30pm

Competing teams can be made up of a maximum six persons but fans are encouraged to come along in smaller groups if they would like to join forces with others in a bid to win the prizes!

Entry is at £4.00 for REF members and £5.00 for non-members.

There you go people. Havvys first thought is the Poole fans. And people wonder why the Coventry fans can't stand him and want him sacked. May as well go the whole hog and have Matt Ford as Coventry manager.

THERE ARE ENOUGH RIDERS FOR BOTH MEETINGS!!!!

Quantity is one thing but what about the quality?

I bet a lot of riders needed to make the ERC a respectable spectacle are already signed up to appear for Havvy. Ward and Holder, to tout 2 names, would be star attractions, without which the ERC loses credibility. Having an ERC stuffed full of National League reserves to make up the numbers just wouldn't look very good on SkySports would it?

This is hilarious. Enjoyed reading the amount of posts over Christmas that were "bricking it" over the lack of TV coverage this season. Dear Sky, Thanks for another 5 years... what? that date clashes with another Havvy testimonial? Oh, in that case, sod off Sky, we don't want the money!

THERE ARE ENOUGH RIDERS FOR BOTH MEETINGS!!!!

Agreed

I think legally the BSPA would be on dodgy ground if they tried to ban and fine riders who stick with Havvy and no doubt the easy way out, if a change of date isn't suitable, would be an ex gratia payment to the Havvy fund in lieu of the upset caused.

Doubt it. Would wager that there's a clause in each riders contract requiring them to make themselves available for shared events.

LOL

"I hope Gary gets the biggest crowd that Poole has seen for many a year and the line-up he deserves."

Bigger than Mark Lorams a couple of years ago? Thats Mark Loram who was also World Champion and British. But he didnt quit Team GB after a spat with a manager and he didn't get banned for taking drugs.

Yes this situation isnt nice, I think the BSPA have been unfair but a lot of people are re-writing history and making Gary out to be a saint who deserves the World LOL

There you go people. Havvys first thought is the Poole fans. And people wonder why the Coventry fans can't stand him and want him sacked. May as well go the whole hog and have Matt Ford as Coventry manager.

Err.................................

Havvy's meeting is being staged at Poole.

Matt Ford offered to stage the meeting.

Poole have a social evening on Wednesday.

More good PR for the loyal fans who regularly attend such social evenings from a professionally run club.

Any other track has only to pick up the phone on a fans night (if they have them) and I'm sure Gary would speak there as well.

• Like 2

LOL
"I hope Gary gets the biggest crowd that Poole has seen for many a year and the line-up he deserves."
Bigger than Mark Lorams a couple of years ago? Thats Mark Loram who was also World Champion and British. But he didnt quit Team GB after a spat with a manager and he didn't get banned for taking drugs.
Yes this situation isnt nice, I think the BSPA have been unfair but a lot of people are re-writing history and making Gary out to be a saint who deserves the World LOL

What a nonsense of an article and highlights one of the downsides of the internet.

the full backing of the British Speedway public

Some people will read the article and believe some of the poppycock spouted (can think of at least one gullible fool).

Rico :rolleyes:

Edited by Rico

What a nonsense of an article and highlights one of the downsides of the internet.

the full backing of the British Speedway public

Some people will read the article and believe some of the poppycock spouted (can think of at least one gullible fool).

Rico :rolleyes:

Joke of an article! Full backing of the British Public???? No he doesnt.

People need to get a reality check on this.

Meeting should never been held at Poole. Matt Ford is a businessman through and through so of course he will want the meeting at his track and all the blue tints can swoon over him. Havvy isnt going to turn down a good payday so he has it at Poole. Feel sorry for all the Bradford and Boro and Redcar fans he has shafted by having it there.

If he gets a bigger crowd than Mark Loram did, bearing in mind Mark was World Champion whilst riding for Poole, has always worn the union Jack with pride, and never been banned for drugs anfd just for the record hadnt had a testimonial before his farewell then you have to question the mindset of some fans.

Havvy should stop whinging and bleating. As proved on this thread hardly anyone even commented on this meeting before the date clash and Havvy has had more publicity then he could have imagined.

I feel sorry for the fans who wanted sky invovlved in the sport all winter only to tell them to go run jump because of a farewell meeting that can still be run on the same night. No wonder our sport is in the mire when fans are so fickle and cant stop moaning

• Like 2

IF Havvys meeting is forced into moving (which seems likely at present) it wiil be interesting to see if those riders who said they will snub the ERC still do.

Surely that would be the way to show their backing for him - turn down the ERC invite even if its not on the same night.