British Speedway Forum

Havvy's Farewell - Poole Speedway - Friday 21st March 2014

So, the money is shared between the clubs? Ok, so let's take this meeting between 10 EL clubs.

Let me just find my calculator.........................................

4000 attend @ £25 = £100,000

The bare min must be £200 a point per rider?? 22 heats?? = £26,400

£100,000 - €26,400 = £73,600 ÷ 10 = £7,360 each

In real terms, it's much less than that with stadium rent, emergency services cover etc etc

That can will be lining back pockets for new cars, nice holidays etc. That won't be seen put back into speedway at all

Maybe we should just close speedway down then and not bother , message to promoters who put a lot of money into speedway give up as the fans just don't give a crap about the future of Speedway !

Fans only care about a passed it rider who retired long ago and is just wanting to line his pockets and to feed his own ego !

Are you seriously comparing Gary Havelocks glittering career to Morten Risagers?

LMAO

The relative achievements shouldnt make any difference to the principle.

Both are being forced into changes albeit that that Mortens are likely to be minor in comparison.

massive over reaction as i said before in the thread.

the bspa have their hands tied by a lucrative sky contract plain and simple.

people moaning about the sport then happy to stick two fingers up to sky when they come to they party and televise a meeting.

Havvy has had his meeting already this is just to get a bit more bunce in his pocket. Dont begrudge him a meeting he is a former world champion but all the moaning give it a rest.

Love people giving the big one to Holder for riding in Havvys meeting lol. Get a grip people he isnt contracted to ride in either so of course he can look like the good guy in slagging off the bspa it matters nothing to him!

Its people like Ward that need to be careful though i would laugh till the cows come home if he gets a ban when all the blue tints tell him to ride at Havvys!!

Precisely I doubt if many Bees fans would have gone to his testimonial even if it had been held at Brandon, the fact it is at Poole of all places, means the interest level will drop to virtually zero. Apart from Poole fans and maybe some Redcar fans who is even likely to be interested in his meeting. Yes I expect that fans from nearby Midland tracks will be at Brandon that night, but I doubt any of those would have been trekking down to the South coast even if the ERC hadn't been staged that night. And Poole simply don't have any real travelling support so it will hardly affect the gate at Brandon.

Surely its a win win situation, Havelock will be where he truly wants to be, their fans can still support him, meanwhile the rest of Speedway can either go or watch on Sky, the season opening fixture in which hopefully all Elite league tracks are represented. And if Ward gets a 28 day ban, Holder as already stated he will help Poole out in an emergency. :D

Edited by houdi

I will be at the ERC as have no intention of going to Havelock's farewell even if no clash.

We unfortunately have to see him with the bees every week so hardly a farewell.

If he had not ranted and retweeted so much on twitter then it wouldn't have got so OTT.

Fair play to the bloke for letting everyone know how he's been dumped on. The use of social media has highlighted the outrageous behavior of the BSPA, who (as we can see from there ever changing stories released as statements) are twisting and turning like a great big twisty turny thing (with apologies to Blackadder).

• Like 1

Fair play to the bloke for letting everyone know how he's been dumped on. The use of social media has highlighted the outrageous behavior of the BSPA, who (as we can see from there ever changing stories released as statements) are twisting and turning like a great big twisty turny thing (with apologies to Blackadder).

You mean a twisty turny big dipper... Cor blimey, Cooky has all the words in he. Simple really, move the ELC meeting. Nobody expects any Coventry fans to appear at Poole, i mean, that would mean them leaving their little Bird cage.. wouldn't it.. So the long and the short of it is quite simple really. One of the BSPA pick up the phone and tell sky to move the ELC meeting, to apease Gary and all the hard work that he and his team has been put in to stage this meeting i think Garys meeting has been arranged a lot longer than Skys little pow wow. If that still can't be done then again all those riders that were invited to Garys meeting should Boycott the ELC. Then all stand together and say you ban us all... Simple really...

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Good to see Jon Cook finally admitting the BSPA are to blame!!! Shame it wasn't done in the first statement!

Now we'll see who has the biggest ba**s or the most money to cover all Havvy's costs, if the Farewell is changed?! Unfortunately none of that will help the fans that have booked time off or hotels!!

its not rocket science. Run 2 meetings on the same night more than enough riders. The only people at Havvys would be the Poole fans and a few from Redcar and lets be honest none of them would bother to travel to the ELC anyway. Not many people from around the Midlands would travel to Poole either so i cant see how any crowd levels would be affected at all.

lots of fuss and crap over nothing for a rider who stuck 2 fingers up to the sport on lots of occasions and has already had a nice pay day.

just run both on the same night and the fans will decide. But trust me there is no way Havvy is losing any crowd members due to the ELC on the same night. Im sure you can count one one hand the people who would wish to see both!.

Love the idea that the riders should stand together and boycott the ELC just shows some fans lack of knowledge on rules and regulations really! Easy for the Holders of this world to not ride, not so easy for the likes of Darcy and Tai.

Reading Havvy on twitter he asked Tai to ride but Tai told him he couldnt............hmmm i wonder why? Because he would be banned if he didnt turn up at the ELC thats why!!

• Like 4

Have a vague impression that the BSPA, at least in recent times, have shown very little interest in the Englishmen who have gained the World title. Michael Lee was dumped when the drug issue arose, Havvy has not really been shown any guidance here and Mark was left to continue where he was, no extra help. It worried me the moment Tai gained his title, however, perhaps he has a better publist at his side as he has made a few appearances on high profile stations. Any world champion should be proclaimed from the highest mountain and by golly speedway needs it. This debacle is, for the wrong reasons, gaining some publicity.

It's got nothing to do with how many fans would attend.

It's all to do with how much work has already gone into arranging an event, and getting the commitment of riders, sponsors, etc. Irrespective of who the meeting is for, or who has organised it: by impacting the riders involved, the BSPA has dumped on them big time.

The irony is that by putting this new event live on TV, the attendance will be affected. All very bizarre. Best bet would be to stage it on the Sunday, with a highlights package on Sky.

Then on the sunday the meeting clashes with the meeting at KL where you have NKI and possibly Tai.

its not rocket science. Run 2 meetings on the same night more than enough riders. The only people at Havvys would be the Poole fans and a few from Redcar and lets be honest none of them would bother to travel to the ELC anyway. Not many people from around the Midlands would travel to Poole either so i cant see how any crowd levels would be affected at all.

lots of fuss and crap over nothing for a rider who stuck 2 fingers up to the sport on lots of occasions and has already had a nice pay day.

just run both on the same night and the fans will decide. But trust me there is no way Havvy is losing any crowd members due to the ELC on the same night. Im sure you can count one one hand the people who would wish to see both!.

Love the idea that the riders should stand together and boycott the ELC just shows some fans lack of knowledge on rules and regulations really! Easy for the Holders of this world to not ride, not so easy for the likes of Darcy and Tai.

Reading Havvy on twitter he asked Tai to ride but Tai told him he couldnt............hmmm i wonder why? Because he would be banned if he didnt turn up at the ELC thats why!!

Tai was invited before the date of the ERC was changed!!
  • Like 1

Good to see Jon Cook finally admitting the BSPA are to blame!!! Shame it wasn't done in the first statement!

Actually, I think it shows the BSPA Management Committee to be even more incompetent than usual !!

Either they take a fairly hard-line view that the clash is unfortunate but was difficult to avoid (as in their earlier statement) or take a much softer apologetic view as shown in their vice-chairman Jon Cook's quotes in the Bournemouth Echo.

Instead, they've done both almost simultaneously ... conclusive proof that, as usual, they're making it up entirely as they go along.

I'm still not personally convinced Gary Havelock's Farewell plans deserve quite as much sympathy as they've received since the clash became apparent ... but at least he, his friends and his organizing committee are all consistent in the way they're complaining about the clash rather than desperately scrambling for the right response like the BSPA.

• Like 3

he cant ride at Havvys if they are the same night or he gets fine and or a ban its simple really

The point redlead was making is that the ERC had nothing to do with Tai not being available, as you tried to infer. He was asked before the "invitational individual meeting" was restaged to accommodate the Polish Jolly Boys outing at Kings Lynn. Edited by Pirate Nick
  • Like 1

The faux outrage on here is a joy to behold. Havelock should be thanking the BSPA to high heaven for the publicity this 'much ado about nothing' incident has given him. A few days ago probably a lot of speedway fans even knew let alone cared when this 'Benefit' meeting was, now it has received publicity he couldn't have even of dreamed of. You have to half expect that Uncle Matt has planned the whole episode. :wink:

From the 29th November to the 30th January there wasn't one single post on this meeting either from the organisers or his so called devoted fans. Thousands of meaningless posts from the Poole intelligentsia on every topic under the sun, but of this meeting complete indifference. :approve:

If Ford was to only offer Havelock a job down there ,he could make a decision that would finally unite both Coventry and Poole fans. :D

• Like 8

The faux outrage on here is a joy to behold. Havelock should be thanking the BSPA to high heaven for the publicity this 'much ado about nothing' incident has given him. A few days ago probably a lot of speedway fans even knew let alone cared when this 'Benefit' meeting was, now it has received publicity he couldn't have even of dreamed of. You have to half expect that Uncle Matt has planned the whole episode. :wink:

From the 29th November to the 30th January there wasn't one single post on this meeting either from the organisers or his so called devoted fans. Thousands of meaningless posts from the Poole intelligentsia on every topic under the sun, but of this meeting complete indifference. :approve:

If Ford was to only offer Havelock a job down there ,he could make a decision that would finally unite both Coventry and Poole fans. :D

Can't see THAT happening. :shock: :shock: :rofl: :rofl:

exactly it is a huge fuss over nothing. a rider who has had his testimonial now lining his pockets with a farewell meeting he could have at anytime in the last 18 months then everyone gets up in arms when a good individual meeting is arranged on the same day. A meeting that sky will televise and hopefully attract more people into our ailing sport. Both meetings can run on the same night as i said doubt many people north of Poole will bother to travel and personally Havvy should never have had it at Poole in the first place the guy is northern through and through and i felt sorry for the Middlesborough, Bradford and Redcar fans he would have made travel.

Most people can see that by running on the same night you can count on one hand the people that will be going to both. The Poole fans dont travel to the ELC and most people north of Watford gap wouldnt go to Havvys.

Run both on the same night or run them on different nights and the crowd would be practically the same.

• Like 1