British Speedway Forum

Havvy's Farewell - Poole Speedway - Friday 21st March 2014

Can't you just imagine all the squirming going on at BSPA HQ at the thought that if both meetings go ahead on 21st then the line-up - and the crowd - for Havvy will be so much better than the ERC?!

God Almighty Havvy clearly guilty of not being a saint and undeserving of having a long career in the UK recognised in a meeting at Poole.

The ELRC or whatever it is now called is a Mickey Mouse early season meeting and could be run anytime.

It was once a force in the speedway world when the top BL/EL riders after a long hard season would compete to see who is top dog. Now it's just an meaningless early season filler meeting which will leave the winner proving absolutely F### All.

A bloke (and it does not really matter who it is) spends a year planning a meeting only to have it ballsed up by a bunch of useless idiots who are now trying desperately to blame someon else.

Just from a sense of justice you would think speedway fans would side with the rider.

But Havvy smoked dope and once had a hissy fit during his England career.

The bloke should be tarred and feathered as nobody here uses drugs or behaves like an arce.

Some mythical bloke once said 'Judge not lest ye be judged' so as mythical blokes go he was one with sense.

So what if Havvy wants a second pay day from the sport.

Surely he has a case as he was one of our few World Champions and was a stalwart for England. He spent his career as a loyal servant to UK speedway and helped a new venue take off and establish itself.

It's not as if these lads are millionaires.

But no he smoked dope and manages Coventry so is evil incarnate.

What a shower of sh#t infest this place :(

Well said Pandorum, and for those that are questioning the extent of his speedway-ending injuries - not to say life-threatening - I agree wholeheartedly with your final sentence!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Can't you just imagine all the squirming going on at BSPA HQ at the thought that if both meetings go ahead on 21st then the line-up for Havvy will be so much better than the ERC?!

Could it be that if Havvy doesnt agree to switch and/or riders refuse to prioritise the ERC that the BSPA will withdraw permission for the Havvy meeting?

I presume that ultimately they have that power should they choose to use it.

If fans treat the ERC or ELRC as a mickey mouse competition then that is what it becomes, if fans support the events like they should and it is in their best interests as the money is shared between the clubs so their club benefits ! Fans have complained about it being end of season and now they make a move to make it early before main season and it even gets televised, all of a sudden fans claim it should be at end of season, make your minds up.

Speedway is speedway and Havvy deserving or not should just play ball, not bigger than the sport and the sport is not that big to start with.

• Like 1

Could it be that if Havvy doesnt agree to switch and/or riders refuse to prioritise the ERC that the BSPA will withdraw permission for the Havvy meeting?

I presume that ultimately they have that power should they choose to use it.

Quite possibly - but I expect that when one member of the BSPA in particular gets back from his holiday (this week I believe?!) - I'm sure there will be much more discussion on the topic!! :shock::P

Quite possibly - but I expect that when one member of the BSPA in particular gets back from his holiday (this week I believe?!) - I'm sure there will be much more discussion on the topic!! :shock::P

And no doubt will talk to the press before the BSPA issue a statement if past form is anything go by.

Can't you just imagine all the squirming going on at BSPA HQ at the thought that if both meetings go ahead on 21st then the line-up - and the crowd - for Havvy will be so much better than the ERC?!

I still feel if that is the case then those riders who have already agreed to ride in Havvys meeting should boycott the ELC. And if the powers be don't like it, then the riders should get together and say tough, what you goona do about it, you can't ban us all.

• Like 2

If fans treat the ERC or ELRC as a mickey mouse competition then that is what it becomes, if fans support the events like they should and it is in their best interests as the money is shared between the clubs so their club benefits ! Fans have complained about it being end of season and now they make a move to make it early before main season and it even gets televised, all of a sudden fans claim it should be at end of season, make your minds up.

Speedway is speedway and Havvy deserving or not should just play ball, not bigger than the sport and the sport is not that big to start with.

I don't think fans do treat it as a mickey mouse competition, I for one always went to this meeting but in the end got fed up of withdrawals and line up changes (injury's not included)and it not containing the leagues top riders, and this has been going on for quite a few years now.

ffs, much ado about nothing...

if you so badly want to attend havelock's meeting to show how much you appreciate his career you will, regardless of the ERC, (and can still watch this on sky+ or a later re-run)..

looking at the fixtures in the SS last week Morton Risager's testimonial is being run on the same night as the British U21 semi at plymouth, should we therefore call one of them off??

just run both meetings, it can hardly be argued that 'it's different because the ERC is a prestigious event' as I would suggest both meetings combined would be lucky to get 5000 people in total, (especially now the ERC is on sky)...

the same riders being used and therefore having to choose/be forced to ride one or another may effect one or others attendance but given the tiny proportion of the total populace who attend speedway the impact will be 'tens of difference' to the prospective crowds rather than 'thousands'....

probably going to p1ss down all day that friday anyhow!! ;):o

(get that 're-staging clash' thread ready)... :D .

• Like 3

ffs, much ado about nothing...

if you so badly want to attend havelock's meeting to show how much you appreciate his career you will, regardless of the ERC, (and can still watch this on sky+ or a later re-run)..

looking at the fixtures in the SS last week Morton Risager's testimonial is being run on the same night as the British U21 semi at plymouth, should we therefore call one of them off??

just run both meetings, it can hardly be argued that 'it's different because the ERC is a prestigious event' as I would suggest both meetings combined would be lucky to get 5000 people in total, (especially now the ERC is on sky)...

the same riders being used and therefore having to choose/be forced to ride one or another may effect one or others attendance but given the tiny proportion of the total populace who attend speedway the impact will be 'tens of difference' to the prospective crowds rather than 'thousands'....

probably going to p1ss down all day that friday anyhow!! ;):o

(get that 're-staging clash' thread ready)... :D .

Are you seriously comparing Gary Havelocks glittering career to Morten Risagers?

LMAO

Edited by Drac

Think its quite funny the people on here getting wound up by it all.

There are more than enough riders for both events.

Cant understand most speedway fans. Moan like hell about anything. Moan that the ELC is at the end of the season so it gets moved and is televised as well to hopefully bring more people into the sport in an individual with 16 top riders not just 2 or 3 that could win it and what do people do still effing moan!!

Havvy has already had a testimonial so why get all arsey about this being on the same night.

Same in retirement as he was a rider - moaning when he doesnt get his way and spits the dummy.

Run both on the same night or Havvy change his date.

Sky and the Bspa run the sport lets be honest.

Not Gary Havelock

• Like 8

Heard a rumour the BSPA being all heart have offered 12th July as the rescheduled date

Take it thats for the ELC?

• Like 1

Are you seriously comparing Gary Havelocks glittering career to Morten Risagers?

LMAO

That's a bit unfair mate. Morten is a speedway rider and deserving of respect just for that.

Any rider who puts in a long stint in UK speedway gets my respect even the ones I 'hated' back in the day.

Of course Gary did more than Morty but he still deserves his due wether you like him or not.

Those making silly arguments about under 21 meetings and such miss the point.

Havvy has planned this date for over a year and riders have commited themselves to it.

Fans have spent money they may not get back to be there. Some from around the world perhaps.

The ELRC can be staged anytime as nobody has made any plans or commitments to be there.

Riders in Havvys meeting will be in the ELRC nobody from the under 21 meeting will be there or Mortens meeting I assume.

It's about common sense and fair play simple as that.

The BSPA have Mickey Mouseified there own showcase meeting by holding it at the start of the season. That makes it just another early season meeting as nothing at all will be proved by the winner. The whole point of these types of meeting was to pit the cream of a leagues crop against each other at the backend of the season.

I have seen plenty of these meetings and they were looked forward to all season long as they meant something.

Now its just another meeting to try out an engine or blow away a few cobwebs.

The BSPA devalued it not the fans.

Now it's like Eurosports pairs meeting. Fun to watch on TV but meaningless.

I think speedway fans should back Havvy not because he did what he did good and bad but simply as a matter of principle.

It does not matter who it is or wether you as an individual like him or not.

It's wrong, it's unfair and the BSPA are setting the sport, the fans and the riders against each other and the answer is simple.

Move the ELRC as that is the meeting that affects least riders and fans who have made long standing commitments.

• Like 2

People saying there isn't an issue with these days clashing are deluded. There will be a few rider's in the Havvy meeting that the BSPA want in their meeting with 3 of them likely to be Ward, Holder and Lindgren. The BSPA will be super desperate to have the first 2 in the ERC. The BSPA are playing bullyboy tactics.

Their last statement has made it clear that Sky offered a number of dates and the BSPA jumped on Havvy's date. It doesn't make any sense why they'd do that?

I'm in no way a Havvy fan at all but no way should he, Matt Ford and the rider's already booked be made to change.

BSPA, you are a bunch of selfish crooks. As the song goes, "its all about the money, money, money."

• Like 1

LMAO

?????

where did I say that??

just mentioned the fixture list, as it showed that a 'benefit' meeting doesnt have an exclusive right re the use of dates..

but whilst you brought up the 'glittering' career, as has been already mentioned, does a lengthy ban for bringing the sport into disrepute really count as part of what constitutes a 'glittering' career these days??

if yes, then obviously you are correct, there is no comparison between the two riders, no comparison at all.... ;)

So, the money is shared between the clubs? Ok, so let's take this meeting between 10 EL clubs.

Let me just find my calculator.........................................

4000 attend @ £25 = £100,000

The bare min must be £200 a point per rider?? 22 heats?? = £26,400

£100,000 - €26,400 = £73,600 ÷ 10 = £7,360 each

In real terms, it's much less than that with stadium rent, emergency services cover etc etc

That can will be lining back pockets for new cars, nice holidays etc. That won't be seen put back into speedway at all

• Like 1