British Speedway Forum

Plymouth To Enter Nl Team

Greg

I think a lot depends on the individual team rather than using a general rule. Kent are named after the county yet are getting substantial crowds. Poole fans didn't seem to relate to Bournemouth yet Scunthorpe fans seemed very proud of a second named Scunthorpe team, which I'm not sure of but a Scunthorpe team named Saints didn't exist before their CL team. Similarly Coventry Storm apparently didn't make a loss yet Belle Vue Colts presumably did. Whether that was down to the name is debatable, but my point is a lot of fans need something to relate to and I dont think that can be generalised to say this works and this doesn't as every club is different. Hopefully people come out and support the Devon Demons!

Edit: Regarding the projected team I would have liked to have seen some new names. Shanes is but I would have prefered someone like Tyler Govier to get a chance alongside him rather than Richard Andrews again. The same applies to Smart & Bates, I have nothing against them but they're not realistically going to break into Plymouth's PL team and isn't that what it's about? It's good to hopefully see Webster return though and I'm surprised Tom Brown isn't in instead of one of the aforementioned two. However best of luck to the promotion and everyone involved and I hope we see you for more than just 1 year!

Edited by Islander15

Pretty useful side being put together there!

Well yes, maybe in general terms (personally I never understood why when Speedway opened at the Arena Essex Raceway in 1984 they called the club by the venue name and not by the town it was in...) but personally I prefer a different main name for a 'second team'.

The example I liked was 'Bournemouth' when Poole ran an NL side. It makes it easier to 'spin' I think as a different side than calling both teams Plymouth...

I think probably Arena Essex was used because it was already known as a stock car venue under that name by the site owners. One of the promoters was the late Chick Woddroffe, the stock car boss, and he probably wanted to make the venue name more widely known? Just a guess on my part.

Edited by Guest

If they have signed all 6 (Not doubting, but obviously waiting until official) then that could be interesting. Smart isn't the rider he once was, and Reade is coming off a nasty injury last season. They would need a number 1 (Maybe Tim Webster?) but I guess for Plymouth the idea is to develop for their PL team!

I do hope we are in it to develop our own side. Scunny have had some great prospects come through their ranks and I'd love Plymouth to replicate something similar. I'm actually quite surprised there aren't more fresh faces but hopefully in the future we will see more youngsters come through.

Yeah Reade has also got a place in the PL side which does worry me a little, what with him racing all three leagues but he's a good lad and if he can get going and get his tail up early on I think he'll do okay.

• 2 weeks later...

The changes allowed by the planning variation means that Plymouth will at last be able to run a structured second half in the south west there are actually 14 juniors who cpould fill these second half races, the NL team could see regular changes to give everyone a go.

TThere is at least 1 junior who cannot qualify for the NL side due to where he was born, but no reason why he couldnt second half.

The changes allowed by the planning variation means that Plymouth will at last be able to run a structured second half in the south west there are actually 14 juniors who cpould fill these second half races, the NL team could see regular changes to give everyone a go.

TThere is at least 1 junior who cannot qualify for the NL side due to where he was born, but no reason why he couldnt second half.

If we are introduced to and get to know the youngsters who are doing the second half racing then that can only be a good thing. Any interaction between the riders and the spectators can only be to a mutual advantage, surely?

Nathan Stoneman would be a great signing he knows the national league tracks and was progressing well until he broke his femur at Scunthorpe and I think he broke his ankle a while back and he is a free agent (not on any teams asset list) I am sure that he would grasp a team place with both hands

• Like 1

Hopefully we will soon get a period of dry weather to allow the track changes prompted by the air fence requirement to be completed, thr bends are being widened a bit and new material is being added to lay the new base out there, it needs some dry weather to allow it to be packed down before the top surface can be added, currently there is a pump running most days to remove flooding from 3 and 4. New boards have been added to the back straight (Colin Hill) stand, to stop anyone falling through the back, new pit gate installed. Fence dog leg removed between turn 4 and finish line. Work teams at the track most Saturdays.

It's good to see Plymouth are to have a team in the National League in 2014. Expansion of leagues at any level is to be welcomed.

But I cannot say the team name Devon Demons appeals to me personally. I would have preferred to have seen the city name of Plymouth - and the side as Plymouth Devils. I like to see city or town names used - a county name seems rather too wide a scope to me. But a warm welcome all the same to another team in the west country.

EDIT: That should read as Plymouth DEMONS and not as Plymouth Devils. Sorry! See the following Posts.

I note what you say Gustix, however, I do not recall your saying the same of Kent Kings last season. Maybe it was as you know that Sittingbourne as a preferred name(?) was already held by Iwade.

Looks a poor team to me

I count 4 former Stoke riders in that lot!

In all seriousness, will be relying on Webster and Reade being top men, with Smart rediscovering some form of old. Shanes at reserve could be ok, but Andrews depends on how he has healed from his wrist injury.