British Speedway Forum

As I have posted before I will be coming to this meeting, what's the car parking like at Monmore Green.

The car park gets full for league meetings, so will definitely be full for this meeting. As mentioned previously not recommended to leave the car on the surrounding roads. Your options are to get there quite early or catch the metro/bus/taxi down. The bus will cost you £2.10 each way, exact change only. Not sure about cab, say £3.50/£4.00. From the travelodge you might be able to catch a bus to the bus station and then change for the Bilston bus down to Monmore. There is an all day 'ticket' which cover's all your buses, which I think is £3.95, this ticket would be the best bet, covering all 4 buses, or any others.Walking from travelodge to bus station would take 10 to 15 minutes. Also depends on what you would like to do during the meeting and afterwards i.e. do you like a drink ? If so Hogshead in town is the best, and you could walk back to Travelodge from there. In the surrounding area to the Travelodge there is not a lot going on, so if you want food there are plenty of takeaways in Broad Street which is at the side of the Hogshead. There are also plenty of 'curry houses' around, but very few 'decent' restaurants in the town/city. If you want further info, come and say hello. I stand opposite the starting gate.I am a 60 year bald Asian/Indian guy, so not hard to find!

I live in Newport at the moment. Another rubbish hole on a par with Wolverhampton. So your defense of Wolverhampton is that everywhere outside of Wolverhampton is nice.

I've been to Wolverhampton about a two dozen times (plus more for the speedway but it's probably not fair to count them) as I used to work for a company that had a site in Bilston and it was at one point one of my options for university.

Really, Wolverhampton has nothing to offer the tourist/casual visitor. There is no area that a someone visiting the city can go to and it be considered "nice"

You shouldn't be quite so dismissive of Tommy's point. When people are looking to move house they want to be near things such as good schools, doctors surgery etc. Wolverhampton is right on edge of the Shropshire countryside whilst having the facilities of a big town/city. It without doubt an industrial city and nobody is saying anything different to that. A few things though..........................................

It has a historic football club est 1877

It has the largest independent brewer in the country - Banks's, I refuse to call it Marstons

It has the largest selling regional newspaper - the Express & star and that includes the Birmingham papers

It has a horseracing course

It has a greyhound stadium

It has a well established theatre - Charlie Chaplin played there

It has a large University - I am a proud employee

It has a speedway team/club est1928

It is also the home of Slade, but I not claiming that one. :D

• Like 3

I live in Newport at the moment. Another rubbish hole on a par with Wolverhampton. So your defense of Wolverhampton is that everywhere outside of Wolverhampton is nice.

I've been to Wolverhampton about a two dozen times (plus more for the speedway but it's probably not fair to count them) as I used to work for a company that had a site in Bilston and it was at one point one of my options for university.

Really, Wolverhampton has nothing to offer the tourist/casual visitor. There is no area that a someone visiting the city can go to and it be considered "nice"

Interestingly when my wife first visited Wolverhampton, I was at work and she spent the afternoon in Wolverhampton city centre.. later when I looked at the photos she had taken I would never have thought it was Wolverhampton. Photos of beautiful old buildings, statues, churches etc... looked like she'd been in Prague.

Sometimes we just don't notice things unless we're told to look at them.

• Like 4

Interestingly when my wife first visited Wolverhampton, I was at work and she spent the afternoon in Wolverhampton city centre.. later when I looked at the photos she had taken I would never have thought it was Wolverhampton. Photos of beautiful old buildings, statues, churches etc... looked like she'd been in Prague.

Sometimes we just don't notice things unless we're told to look at them.

Quite agree. If only people would just look up for a change, there is architecture and signs,etc, that would be called interesting anywhere else.

The car park gets full for league meetings, so will definitely be full for this meeting. As mentioned previously not recommended to leave the car on the surrounding roads. Your options are to get there quite early or catch the metro/bus/taxi down. The bus will cost you £2.10 each way, exact change only. Not sure about cab, say £3.50/£4.00. From the travelodge you might be able to catch a bus to the bus station and then change for the Bilston bus down to Monmore. There is an all day 'ticket' which cover's all your buses, which I think is £3.95, this ticket would be the best bet, covering all 4 buses, or any others.Walking from travelodge to bus station would take 10 to 15 minutes. Also depends on what you would like to do during the meeting and afterwards i.e. do you like a drink ? If so Hogshead in town is the best, and you could walk back to Travelodge from there. In the surrounding area to the Travelodge there is not a lot going on, so if you want food there are plenty of takeaways in Broad Street which is at the side of the Hogshead. There are also plenty of 'curry houses' around, but very few 'decent' restaurants in the town/city. If you want further info, come and say hello. I stand opposite the starting gate.I am a 60 year bald Asian/Indian guy, so not hard to find!

You shouldn't be quite so dismissive of Tommy's point. When people are looking to move house they want to be near things such as good schools, doctors surgery etc. Wolverhampton is right on edge of the Shropshire countryside whilst having the facilities of a big town/city. It without doubt an industrial city and nobody is saying anything different to that. A few things though..........................................

It has a historic football club est 1877

It has the largest independent brewer in the country - Banks's, I refuse to call it Marstons

It has the largest selling regional newspaper - the Express & star and that includes the Birmingham papers

It has a horseracing course

It has a greyhound stadium

It has a well established theatre - Charlie Chaplin played there

It has a large University - I am a proud employee

It has a speedway team/club est1928

It is also the home of Slade, but I not claiming that one. :D

You forgot to mention the Civic Hall :lol: ,which is on the best concert venues in the Midlands.

Also home to the Great Western public house at Wolves Low Level Railway Station(for those of us old enough to remember),which is totally bostin' :t: Believe me,if you get settled there,you'll more than likely miss the meeting,as it's that good!! ;)

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 1

Went to my first British Final in the year Chris Louis made his debut (late 80's)? Left Ipswich early morning and got to the stadium just after lunch. Crowd and atmosphere were amazing and had never seen anything like it before. Didn't get back until 9pm. Was a whole day out. Continued to go every year since then and added Overseas Finals at Brandon too.

If anyone else pus out of this one, they'll be 'phoning Robbo. Or possibly asking Chris louis to dig out his Kevlars!

Louis would probably still score a point or two as well.