British Speedway Forum

Kent Kings 2014

JamesM09

It was my 4th visit this season yesterday and although I have no access to actual spectator numbers, the numbers sitting outside of the bar/lounge area do seem to be dwindling. No excuse last with two mid table teams battling for points and good weather.

Some people are saying the racing was superb last night but I must have missed those races but since I always buy the superb DVD's of the meeting filmed by ReRun Productions I will make my mind up fully after seeing that. Doing the mechanics role, you do miss a lot of the racing but the races that I saw were essentially follow the leader and with the track being "threadbare" after about 8 heats it was always going to be the case. The adverse cambers do nothing to aid passing on what could be a great little track due to its size and shape. True the match result last night was in doubt until the last heat but does that make the racing exciting? I think not.

The only plus point is that the meetings are usually held in quick time due to the curfew. The stadium is very good, facility and viewing wise, and would be the envy of a number of clubs but the track needs sorting. I won't comment on the meeting presentation since the pits are so far divorced from the stand that it would be unfair to make any judgeme nt.

Surely Marc Owen showed that if you went for it overtaking is possible as he did not make the best of starts. The track is now much smoother and not cutting up so quick. Still agree that the banking sends riders into the 3rd 4th bends. Still need more shale laying and the rotary grader when hooked up will help. Still early Days!

Please come along for the Cradley meeting and hopefully you can write some positive stuff afterwards?

The ambulance issue is not acceptable and i pray that if needed again the club get it right.

I will always call it as I see it. I prefer to be praiseworthy but if I am critical so be it.

I doubt if I will be back this season. That's principally because its a long way to go on a Monday night but also because what I saw last time was awful.

Why would I want to do that again when there has been no sign of improvement ?

I agree with Nikko. The stadium is fantastic, the best in the country. Get someone in who is going to put on a show and get rid of those who are running it into the ground.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Benji to replace Luke

http://www.kentkings.co/news.php?extend.182

Feel sorry for Luke, but guess the only option really. Hope Luke gets fixed-up soon

From what Luke posted on FB, he seems like a very decent young man. I am gutted to see him go but you never know we mght be able to fit him back in at some stage. He was actually becoming a very decent second string, but unfortunately for him, Baseby just looks more solid and reliable points wise at home and away. I will not forget the 5-1's him and Mason brought home in a hurry. Best of luck Luke and welcome back Benji - let's get back on track for a top 4 finish.

• Like 1

Surely Marc Owen showed that if you went for it overtaking is possible as he did not make the best of starts. The track is now much smoother and not cutting up so quick. Still agree that the banking sends riders into the 3rd 4th bends. Still need more shale laying and the rotary grader when hooked up will help. Still early Days!

As I said when you are doing the mechanic role, you miss a lot of the action and I only saw Marc in action twice.. On our 1st visit this year it was vast improvement over last year but does seem to have been let go a bit lately. Although obviously not as pronounced as Rye House the adverse camber does nothing to improve racing. The bends are wide but large areas can't be used because of the camber.

Some people are saying the racing was superb last night but I must have missed those races but since I always buy the superb DVD's of the meeting filmed by ReRun Productions I will make my mind up fully after seeing that. Doing the mechanics role, you do miss a lot of the racing but the races that I saw were essentially follow the leader and with the track being "threadbare" after about 8 heats it was always going to be the case. The adverse cambers do nothing to aid passing on what could be a great little track due to its size and shape. True the match result last night was in doubt until the last heat but does that make the racing exciting? I think not.

Sorry to quote from Updates as I know they dont like that being done which i can understand but surely Grand Centrals comments are completely at odds with an account from the updater that in fact there was passiung in something like six heats and very close finishs in several others?

I know you said you didnt see many races as thast would seem to be the case as you missed all of this action but in that case why make such comments about their being no passing which is wrong

Heat 03: Widman, Mason, Owen, Chessell - Fell 2-4 9-9 Time: 60.70

Comments: Re-Run: Widman gated first. Owen last. Owen made an excellent pass round outside of Chessell on lap 2 turn 4. Owen nearly doing the same to Mason on lap 4 but the magic boy hold him off. Chessell slid off last bend and failed to finish.

Heat 04: Cockle, Baseby, Campos, Garrad 2-4 11-13 Time: 61.20 (Ayres - 2 Minutes)

Line Up: R/R - Baseby, Garrad Ayres - 2 Minutes, Cockle, Campos

Comments: Campos moved Garrad over lap 2 which also allowed Baseby through. Baseby passed Campos during lap 3.

Heat 05: Mason, Owen, Chessell, Bailey 4-2 15-15 Time: 60.40 (Rose - 2 Minutes)

Line Up: Mason, Chessell, Bailey Rose - 2 Minutes, R/R - Owen

Comments:

Owen passed Chessell outside during lap 1 turn 4 then was all over Mason for the rest of the race. Closest finish to best race in the tracks of the history. Both Mason and Owen getting a standing ovation.

Heat 10: Owen, Baseby, Morley, Widman 3-3 31-29 Time: 61.80

Line Up: Morley, Baseby, Widman, Owen

Comments: Morley supposedly touched the tapes and is going off 15 metres in the re-run.

Re-Run: Morley had caught Widman by turn 2 lap 1 finally passing him on turn 1 lap 2.

Heat 12: Mason, Widman, Ayres, Campos 4-2 37-35 Time: 62.90

Line Up: Mason, Ayres, Widman, Campos Bailey

Comments: Campos replaces Bailey.

Ayres passed Campos backstraight lap 3 another good close race.

Heat 14: Chessell, Owen, Campos, Ayres 3-3 43-41 Time: 62.10

Line Up: Chessell, Ayres Garrad, Owen, Campos

Comments: Ayres replace Garrad.

Campos passed Ayres on the backstraight of lap 2. Owen passed Ayres on turn 1 of lap 3 and then passed Campos on the backstraight of lap 3. Chessell just holding off Owen at the finish line.Best meeting in the Central Park history!

Read more: http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/13563/kent-kings-lynn-mon-30pm?page=1&scrollTo=248325#ixzz36MDDicbI

• Like 1

So Benji is back and Luke has to make way. Interesting explanation on the Kings website. I still don't understand how, as Len says you have teams out there that far exceed the points limit now but we have to stick to a limit when changing our team. He wants the rules changed and I agree. Wish I knew and could understand what the current rules are.

Basically you can only build to points limit or like for like. They could replace Luke with a higher averaged rider as they had a couple if points left on the limit. Once you are over the points limit you can only replace with like for like or lower. Hope thathelps.

Basically you can only build to points limit or like for like. They could replace Luke with a higher averaged rider as they had a couple if points left on the limit. Once you are over the points limit you can only replace with like for like or lower. Hope thathelps.

Thanks TMW I think I'm starting to get the drift (excuse the pun) now

Kent Kings got an airing on BBC Radio Kent this morning. Len Silver, David Mason, Simon Lambert and Danny Ayres were interviewed. If you want to listen go to BBC Radio Kent online. It was the early morning show with John Warnett and the time was about 8:45 am.

• Like 1

Good to hear radio Kent doing a bit more? I noticed last couple of matches they've had someone there posting updates and the odd pic on Twitter? Good to see! Wonder if they wud consider doing some live commentary in the future? Like BBC west midlands do brilliantly? They use their website to broadcast so non speedway fans can still have their normal programmme on? BBC Kent do it with the football? I agree that we need to "up the game" when it comes to presentation on the night? Announcer is good and has a bit of a rapore with fans but think we cud do with a roving reporter as such who can b in the pits grabbing interviews with riders and managers and out on centre green and just generally making the evening a bit more of a show? Lakeside used to do it brilliantly? And think Jon cook does the roving bit now? Just adds to the evening and brings the fans more into it all?

Just emailed Kings to bring to their attention an apparent discrepancy on the BSPA website. The new NL GSAs are out and here's how Kent now look:

Kent

1 Ben Morley 8.94

2 Simon Lambert 7.86

3 David Mason 7.45

4 Benji Compton 6.37

5 Luke Chessell 5.38

6 Danny Ayres 3.00

7 B Freemantle 3.00

Total 42.00

Outoing

Benji Compton 6.37

Daniel Blake 3.40

Aaron Baseby 4.56

I thought Luke Chessell was making way for Benji's return, not Aaron Baseby. Also, should we be allowed to break through the 40 point ceiling, when we're not replacing an injured rider?

Edited by 1st Bend Bunching

Just emailed Kings to bring to their attention an apparent discrepancy on the BSPA website. The new NL GSAs are out and here's how Kent now look:

Kent

1 Ben Morley 8.94

2 Simon Lambert 7.86

3 David Mason 7.45

4 Benji Compton 6.37

5 Luke Chessell 5.38

6 Danny Ayres 3.00

7 B Freemantle 3.00

Total 42.00

Outoing

Benji Compton 6.37

Daniel Blake 3.40

Aaron Baseby 4.56

I thought Luke Chessell was making way for Benji's return, not Aaron Baseby. Also, should we be allowed to break through the 40 point ceiling, when we're not replacing an injured rider?

Well spotted. I didn't think that Brendan was returning either yet. Where is Garrad?

Kent

1 Ben Morley 8.94

2 Simon Lambert 7.86

3 David Mason 7.45

4 Benji Compton 6.37

5 Luke Chessell 5.38

6 Danny Ayres 3.00

7 B Freemantle 3.00

Total 42.00

Outoing

Benji Compton 6.37

Daniel Blake 3.40

Aaron Baseby 4.56

No wonder speedway is in such a mess when riders of higher averages are outed to let those of lower calibre just to meet equalisation averages that never work. Or am I misunderstanding the previous message and the rider details?

I especially don't understand why Benji Compton is named in both the lists!!

Edited by Guest

From what Luke posted on FB, he seems like a very decent young man. I am gutted to see him go but you never know we mght be able to fit him back in at some stage. He was actually becoming a very decent second string, but unfortunately for him, Baseby just looks more solid and reliable points wise at home and away. I will not forget the 5-1's him and Mason brought home in a hurry. Best of luck Luke and welcome back Benji - let's get back on track for a top 4 finish.

I completely agree - I think we needed Benji back in the team but it's just a shame that Luke has to go. Hopefully we'll see him in Kings colours again soon!

• Like 1

Right, I think I've got the answer to this conundrum. The BSPA are having to process the swap in 2 phases. The 1st phase is to switch Benji with Aaron, who was brought in as his direct replacement. Once that change is in place they will replace Luke with Aaron. Alas, that does mean that it is Luke who will be looking for a team place elsewhere - best wishes in that pursuit. Benji's inclusion twice (once as an outgoing rider) is probably just an oversight.

As for Brandon, he hasn't actually been dropped from our declared 7 riders. I guess that's tactical on the part of management, but I don't really understand it.

Good to hear radio Kent doing a bit more? I noticed last couple of matches they've had someone there posting updates and the odd pic on Twitter? Good to see! Wonder if they wud consider doing some live commentary in the future? Like BBC west midlands do brilliantly? They use their website to broadcast so non speedway fans can still have their normal programmme on? BBC Kent do it with the football? I agree that we need to "up the game" when it comes to presentation on the night? Announcer is good and has a bit of a rapore with fans but think we cud do with a roving reporter as such who can b in the pits grabbing interviews with riders and managers and out on centre green and just generally making the evening a bit more of a show? Lakeside used to do it brilliantly? And think Jon cook does the roving bit now? Just adds to the evening and brings the fans more into it all?

Re the roving reporter, a very good idea and one we organised for last year with a well known local Radio DJ who would have it done it for nothing and given the club a lot of free advertising. As a professional, he did want control of the whole presentation, which makes sense and it got back to us that this point that this put a certain amateur announcers nose was put out of joint who then went moaning to the promotion, so they stopped us doing it.

Another example of the amateur nature of the club/sport.

Last year the club had full updates on it's own twitter page, professional website, regularly updated, photos in the local press and speedway star every week. Attendance at school events, carnivals, trade shows etc.

This year ??????

The usual suspects will come back with their normal responses, but just saying it as it is.

And while on the subject, on the Kings FB page their is a great debate about the ambulance access issue.

Suffice to say, while the track was still being laid, there was a great debate, close to an argument, one day when myself and the Clerk of the Course tried to explain to the Co-promoter why the ambulance should gain access, not through the pits entrance, but the other entrance on the back straight. It could be trackside, gain easy access to the track and leave by the same gate to leave the stadium quickly, if needs be. It was obviously the most sensible solution, as both the ambulance crew and the Health and Safety Officer who joined the club agreed when they reviewed the situation when it was too late to change it.

The problem with the ambulance should never have been a problem if someone had listened to common sense.

Edited by Nikko
  • Like 3

Re the roving reporter, a very good idea and one we organised for last year with a well known local Radio DJ who would have it done it for nothing and given the club a lot of free advertising. As a professional, he did want control of the whole presentation, which makes sense and it got back to us that this point that this put a certain amateur announcers nose was put out of joint who then went moaning to the promotion, so they stopped us doing it.

Last year the club had full updates on it's own twitter page, professional website, regularly updated, photos in the local press and speedway star every week. Attendance at school events, carnivals, trade shows etc.

This year ??????

The usual suspects will come back with their normal responses, but just saying it as it is.

And while on the subject, on the Kings FB page their is a great debate about the ambulance access issue.

Suffice to say, while the track was still being laid, there was a great debate, close to an argument, one day when myself and the Clerk of the Course tried to explain to the Co-promoter why the ambulance should gain access, not through the pits entrance, but the other entrance on the back straight. It could be trackside, gain easy access to the track and leave by the same gate to leave the stadium quickly, if needs be. It was obviously the most sensible solution, as both the ambulance crew and the Health and Safety Officer who joined the club agreed when they reviewed the situation when it was too late to change it.

The problem with the ambulance should never have been a problem if someone had listened to common sense.

Just more examples why the Club needs a good shakeup and Mr Cearns does what is best for the Club.

I do not believe as it is - is the way forward.

• Like 1

No wonder speedway is in such a mess when riders of higher averages are outed to let those of lower calibre just to meet equalisation averages that never work. Or am I misunderstanding the previous message and the rider details?

I especially don't understand why Benji Compton is named in both the lists!!

i am reliably informed that if Baseby was accessed now on league matches only he would be on 6.82 which is higher than Chessell. As much as i would love to have them both in the team, i would have to admit that (from what i have seen) Baseby is the better rider.

This year ??????

Quite agree Nikko, however, it was not to be last season and this year the air fence is a bit of an issue. Speaking with someone who neither listens nor considers anything suggested is a bit like approaching a dictator, it is all one way traffic.

Well done the Kings at Devon. Especially Simon 18 pt Max Danny 10 Aaron 9 Jason 4. How we did that with no Ben's Morley, Compton, David Mason is weird. however both teams had RR and two guests. But a wins a win and I'll take that. Does anybody know where half our team were?

Morley made the trip and arrived heat 4 and he wasn't allowed to ride. mason and benji illness. sounds like poor management and lack of ambition with the guest choices. well done Lambo Danny and Aaron who got us all 4 points. chin up ben take it out on cradley Monday. well done garrad and the guests btw team effort.

Edited by whistlegang