British Speedway Forum

Kent Kings 2014

JamesM09

That’s how things used to be but the modern viewpoint is people will only support winning sides especially if you are a stand alone team.

If you fail to be contenders then the supporters will find a team that does contend or leave the sport altogether.

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Martina Navratilova ;)

People have better things to spend their money on than using it to back something that might be a success in two years time. The modern world - sadly perhaps - is all about backing winners.

I think you need tp give young Kirby the no.6 place and thrn Ayres and Garrad could share the no.7

How can they use Kirby? Doesn't he ride for another club already?

People have better things to spend their money on than using it to back something that might be a success in two years time. The modern world - sadly perhaps - is all about backing winners.

How can they use Kirby? Doesn't he ride for another club already?

True but there was some talk of McBain being back soon and Kirby could really do with keeping up his good form in order to push on.

True but there was some talk of McBain being back soon and Kirby could really do with keeping up his good form in order to push on.

Kirby isn't in Stoke's declaration so technically he doesn't have a team. And yes, the press release said McBain is back next week.

I am not going to do it but I notice there is no thread up on the National League forum in regard to today/s (Monday June 30) home match against King's Lynn!!

Edited by Guest

That’s how things used to be but the modern viewpoint is people will only support winning sides especially if you are a stand alone team.

If you fail to be contenders then the supporters will find a team that does contend or leave the sport altogether.

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Martina Navratilova ;)

I'm not sure that's completely true.

A team that usually holds its own at home but offers excellent entertainment on the track can do well. I know that Mildenhall in 2007 increased their gates by 15% on the previous season despite a bottom half of the table position, several home defeats and a less than powerful line up. The thing was it was (and still is) one of the best racing tracks in the country.

Glasgow yesterday is also a case in point. Two teams at the bottom of the PL table produced an excellent match with a narrow home win thrown in. I have little doubt if they have most of their meetings like that, they'll do OK.

Kent's real problem to me is not the team but the track. Its nothing less than appalling and, in my view, the worst in the country. Even if they had a winning team, I still wouldn't go.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I'm not sure that's completely true.

A team that usually holds its own at home but offers excellent entertainment on the track can do well. I know that Mildenhall in 2007 increased their gates by 15% on the previous season despite a bottom half of the table position, several home defeats and a less than powerful line up. The thing was it was (and still is) one of the best racing tracks in the country.

Glasgow yesterday is also a case in point. Two teams at the bottom of the PL table produced an excellent match with a narrow home win thrown in. I have little doubt if they have most of their meetings like that, they'll do OK.

Kent's real problem to me is not the team but the track. Its nothing less than appalling and, in my view, the worst in the country. Even if they had a winning team, I still wouldn't go.

Is that just in terms of entertainment or are you saying it's unsafe? Edited by Islander15

Is that just in terms of entertainment or are you saying it's unsafe?

I don't think its dangerous, its just rubbish (to be fair, Cityrebel is usually pretty straight in his opinions).

I went a couple of times last season and it was awful then and when I went at Easter it was just as bad if not worse.

The chalk base was showing after a few heats, there was no racing whatsoever and the meeting took 3 hours to run. What's worse, there was (and maybe still is) a question mark about rider safety because the medical staff refused to bring the ambulance onto the track when there was a crash in heat 11.

I use it now as an example of everything that is bad with speedway on match days.

• Like 1

I don't think its dangerous, its just rubbish (to be fair, Cityrebel is usually pretty straight in his opinions).

I went a couple of times last season and it was awful then and when I went at Easter it was just as bad if not worse.

The chalk base was showing after a few heats, there was no racing whatsoever and the meeting took 3 hours to run. What's worse, there was (and maybe still is) a question mark about rider safety because the medical staff refused to bring the ambulance onto the track when there was a crash in heat 11.

I use it now as an example of everything that is bad with speedway on match days.

It was my 4th visit this season yesterday and although I have no access to actual spectator numbers, the numbers sitting outside of the bar/lounge area do seem to be dwindling. No excuse last with two mid table teams battling for points and good weather.

Some people are saying the racing was superb last night but I must have missed those races but since I always buy the superb DVD's of the meeting filmed by ReRun Productions I will make my mind up fully after seeing that. Doing the mechanics role, you do miss a lot of the racing but the races that I saw were essentially follow the leader and with the track being "threadbare" after about 8 heats it was always going to be the case. The adverse cambers do nothing to aid passing on what could be a great little track due to its size and shape. True the match result last night was in doubt until the last heat but does that make the racing exciting? I think not.

The only plus point is that the meetings are usually held in quick time due to the curfew. The stadium is very good, facility and viewing wise, and would be the envy of a number of clubs but the track needs sorting. I won't comment on the meeting presentation since the pits are so far divorced from the stand that it would be unfair to make any judgement.

I have no idea about the technicalities involved but the Facebook SHARE link is not working at the moment. It is not my system because I have checked elsewhere and they are all effective.

Re two previous messages. It's now 18.19 and still no FACEBOOK Link is working!

Wednesday 10.58 - Well done. Normal service has been resumed. Many thanks.

It was my 4th visit this season yesterday and although I have no access to actual spectator numbers, the numbers sitting outside of the bar/lounge area do seem to be dwindling. No excuse last with two mid table teams battling for points and good weather.

Some people are saying the racing was superb last night but I must have missed those races but since I always buy the superb DVD's of the meeting filmed by ReRun Productions I will make my mind up fully after seeing that. Doing the mechanics role, you do miss a lot of the racing but the races that I saw were essentially follow the leader and with the track being "threadbare" after about 8 heats it was always going to be the case. The adverse cambers do nothing to aid passing on what could be a great little track due to its size and shape. True the match result last night was in doubt until the last heat but does that make the racing exciting? I think not.

The only plus point is that the meetings are usually held in quick time due to the curfew. The stadium is very good, facility and viewing wise, and would be the envy of a number of clubs but the track needs sorting. I won't comment on the meeting presentation since the pits are so far divorced from the stand that it would be unfair to make any judgement.

I'd agree with pretty much every word of this :approve:

One of the more annoying things about my visit at Easter was how long the meeting was taking.When it became clear that the curfew might be breached, things speeded up spectacularly.

I'd agree with pretty much every word of this :approve:

One of the more annoying things about my visit at Easter was how long the meeting was taking.When it became clear that the curfew might be breached, things speeded up spectacularly.

Please come along for the Cradley meeting and hopefully you can write some positive stuff afterwards?

The ambulance issue is not acceptable and i pray that if needed again the club get it right.

• Like 1

As always some very interesting posts on this thread, and on their FB page.

3 things I find interesting.

1) crowds are clearly down, despite the spin from the club. Even loyal fans are saying this.

2) the fans want continuity in riders, the promotion will chop and change to try and make a winning team. It can be a conflict, and looking at FB it is causing friction between fans and promotion.

3) the track is still causing concern. I do worry that the stadium (and promoter) is reliant on the co promoter whose main interests are elsewhere.

All of the above, and some others, can be fixed with a modern management and promotional style that promotes the Kings effectively.

There seems to be a growing conflict between club and fans, which all lovers of speedway will know is a recipe for disaster.

As always some very interesting posts on this thread, and on their FB page.

3 things I find interesting.

1) crowds are clearly down, despite the spin from the club. Even loyal fans are saying this.

2) the fans want continuity in riders, the promotion will chop and change to try and make a winning team. It can be a conflict, and looking at FB it is causing friction between fans and promotion.

3) the track is still causing concern. I do worry that the stadium (and promoter) is reliant on the co promoter whose main interests are elsewhere.

All of the above, and some others, can be fixed with a modern management and promotional style that promotes the Kings effectively.

There seems to be a growing conflict between club and fans, which all lovers of speedway will know is a recipe for disaster.

Is there concern among a MAJORITY of fans or just with a vociferous minority to blazen their comments?

So Benji is back and Luke has to make way. Interesting explanation on the Kings website. I still don't understand how, as Len says you have teams out there that far exceed the points limit now but we have to stick to a limit when changing our team. He wants the rules changed and I agree. Wish I knew and could understand what the current rules are.

Is there concern among a MAJORITY of fans or just with a vociferous minority to blazen their comments?

An interesting question but I would be worried to see my fan base dwindling as it appears it is. Again I reiterate that I do not have access to actual figures so it is always a perception rather than statement of truth.

Kent being the newcomers into the NL had the opportunity to do something really different in speedway presentation but seemed to have drifted. The track is the right shape and size to produce good racing but the surface isn't.

I have ordered the DVD of Mondays meeting so if I come back on here on Friday or Saturday eating humble pie, it will be because I missed all the good racing on Monday whilst doing my duties as a mechanic!!