British Speedway Forum

Kent Kings 2014

JamesM09

A white liner - in the role of the recognised greatest white line rider of them all? I doubt if anyone has seen let alone remembers Tommy Croombs of West Ham? I do and have seen him ride.

Subtle difference Gustix is that West Ham was a quarter mile circuit and even when they made it 415 yards it was longer than the Lakeside track. Turning as tight as needed on todays slick tracks is a different skill to those days of deeper tracks. Can we compare?

And that is no surprise to me, he is becoming a steady white-liner at Lakeside. His season so far is going very well, let us all hope that it does so for a long time to come as it has helped him to the number one race jacket at CP.

A white liner - in the role of the recognised greatest white line rider of them all? I doubt if anyone has seen let alone remembers Tommy Croombs of West Ham? I do and have seen him ride.

Subtle difference Gustix is that West Ham was a quarter mile circuit and even when they made it 415 yards it was longer than the Lakeside track. Turning as tight as needed on todays slick tracks is a different skill to those days of deeper tracks. Can we compare?

I also saw Tommy Croombs demonstrate his white line technique to perfection on his visits to New Cross - and that was 262 yards! Tommy was THE white line wizard of all time. That's generally accepted by most speedway historians. All tracks were the same to him.

Edited by Guest

I hope that isn't the last we see of Harris, there is some obvious potential there. Whether dropping him from the team now is or isn't the right thing to do ... only time will tell!

Welcome to Garrad, hope you get stuck in!

Edited by Mjolnir

I hope that isn't the last we see of Harris, there is some obvious potential there. Whether dropping him from the team now is or isn't the right thing to do ... only time will tell!

Welcome to Garrad, hope you get stuck in!

I think you'll find he's a bit hacked off at the moment. According to his twitter feed he wants to ride for Coventry. May be a heat of the moment thing though.

KENT KINGS have new media partners this year in the Fueltopia website and this leading motorsports site has an excellent article posted following a visit to Central Park last Bank Holiday Monday.

Many thanks to Steve White of Fueltopia for their support.

The article is at:

http://fueltopia.co.uk/profiles/blog/event-british-national-league-speedway-john-cearns-cup-sittingbou

A very good and succinct report. The photos were of a very good quality.

Kent Kings new boy Jason Garrad looked sharp at Rye House last night (June 21). This is off ther RH website:

The Rye House Raiders maintained their rich run of form in the Midland Development League fixture that followed Saturday’s main event, beating Buxton 27-9, with both Danny Ayres and Jason Garrad unbeaten. The victory was the Raiders’ sixth competitive success in a row, and also their highest score of the season.
Rye House scorers:
Danny Ayres 11+1 (max, 4 rides), Jason Garrad 11+1 (max, 4 rides), Rob Watts 5+1 (4)
Buxton scorers:
Scooter Webster 6 (3), Tom Bacon 2 (3), Lawrence Fielding 1 (3), Ben Hewitt 0 (3)

Kent Kings new boy Jason Garrad looked sharp at Rye House last night (June 21). This is off ther RH website:

The Rye House Raiders maintained their rich run of form in the Midland Development League fixture that followed Saturday’s main event, beating Buxton 27-9, with both Danny Ayres and Jason Garrad unbeaten. The victory was the Raiders’ sixth competitive success in a row, and also their highest score of the season.
Rye House scorers:
Danny Ayres 11+1 (max, 4 rides), Jason Garrad 11+1 (max, 4 rides), Rob Watts 5+1 (4)
Buxton scorers:
Scooter Webster 6 (3), Tom Bacon 2 (3), Lawrence Fielding 1 (3), Ben Hewitt 0 (3)

Be a different cup of tea tomorrow against Stoke and Kirby ???

Rye House scorers:
Buxton scorers:

Be a different cup of tea tomorrow against Stoke and Kirby ???

Let's not pre-judge Jason Garrad. Let him show us what he can do at Central Park in a senior match.

Why so negative ALL the time?

Because I have no faith whatsoever in the Management.

OK. :D

Surely there should be a demarcation between what one thinks of a club's management and the ability/potential of a rider?

Well the proof of the pudding was out there yesterday. Adam Killby was the best of the reserves! Why must it be that clubs mess around so much with the line-ups, it is time clubs supported the riders rather than ditch them when they are possibly struggling. So it was not the meeting nor the time in the season to blood a new rider, Jason to my eyes was just not sharp enough from the gate. Nerves may have got to him, who knows!

• Like 2

Blooding inexperienced riders for the future rider base of the team may sound a good idea in theory ,,but not if the fan base disappears because the team has little chance of challenging for honours,, because every team needs at least one strong reserve to be successful ... Having said that Danny Ayers is improving and i think he will make a decent rider given enough time,,, and if he was riding along side a strong reserve we would be okay in that department.. But that is not the case..... Garrad is even less proficient at the present time on what we have seen, although it is to early to pass judgement on the rider,,It is not to early to pass judgement on the teams current prospects

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

I have to agree with almost everything that waco said (and often do). Danny Ayres has huge potential and has already shown great improvement although a few weaknesses along the way. Sadly the same cannot be said for Jason Garrad although what other options are there? Luke Harris was doing ok and got dropped, Brandon is still unfit? and did little other than go into/over the fence when he ddi ride so i suspect his confidence/bottle is in pieces, Kirby did ok but no great wow and still far to large.

So who? A reserve from last year that has been left out of National league sides? What does that tell you?

Ive only seen a few of the MDL riders that look ready to step up.........and for the record Garrad wasnt one of them!

If Len's statement is the final say then the fans need to give these two reserves their wholehearted support, not drift away. True speedway supporters follow the team regardless. Surely we watch the racing and applaud the efforts of any rider regardless of their team allegiance. I appreciate that strong reserves are a necessity, however, we also need main team riders who can put on a point or more if honours are to be won. Maintaining or lowering of averages within the team will never provide a winning formula.

• Like 1

True speedway supporters follow the team regardless.

That’s how things used to be but the modern viewpoint is people will only support winning sides especially if you are a stand alone team.

If you fail to be contenders then the supporters will find a team that does contend or leave the sport altogether.

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Martina Navratilova ;)

• Like 1

If Len's statement is the final say then the fans need to give these two reserves their wholehearted support, not drift away. True speedway supporters follow the team regardless. Surely we watch the racing and applaud the efforts of any rider regardless of their team allegiance. I appreciate that strong reserves are a necessity, however, we also need main team riders who can put on a point or more if honours are to be won. Maintaining or lowering of averages within the team will never provide a winning formula.

I think you need tp give young Kirby the no.6 place and thrn Ayres and Garrad could share the no.7

TMW, this was the original concept for the team. Brandon was to have the regular team spot with Danny and Luke sharing the number 7 berth. As is the case with speedway in general, riders can be injured and Brandon was. This led to the inclusion of Danny alongside Luke full-time no doubt until the return of Brandon (still sidelined).