British Speedway Forum

Kent Kings 2014

JamesM09

Ben Hopwood would be a very good shout, if memory is correct I think he scored a max at CP last season and is a great lad with very good support from his dad Chaz.

If Mildenhall don't use Aaron Baseby, he would be a very good signing, and a local lad as well for local fans to follow. Not sure he would sign for the Kings though.

Anyway I am sure riders are being lined up.

As a start, what about.

1. Ben Morley

2. Aaron Baseby

3. David Mason

4. Ben Hopwood

5, Benji Compton

6. Jack Kingston

7. Adam Kirby

Don't have averages to hand so no idea if it fits.

That team has 1.47 left.

Ben would do a good job! Brandon Freemantle would be a very good signing & is fairly local. What about Coles Nikko? Alternatively you could go for a big number 1 again, like Mills (on 9.98 I think).

All of this silence starts to make one feel jittery. Keeping things under wraps is fine if appropriate, though I doubt disclosing riders is Top Secret. Time this Club considered the punters, they need something to keep their interest during the dark months (no pun intended).

All this silence is starting to make me jittery, more so as I start to see other teams being assembled. All this silence from the management during the dark months does nothing to help keep the punters' interest.

Drip feeding titbits of information, however inconsequential, will and surely does hold interest in the club and give fans something to discuss.

A sorry time for this emergent club who need to hold the interest of existing fans and seek to gain the interest of others.

The state of the track, another question, is not insurmountable, yet bad weather in the next couple of months will leave it in a poor condition with precious little time to relay and permit settlement.

Not heard if there has been any movement regarding track staff or if a recruitment drive is to take place. Assuming Nicko and Paul need replacing and how many of the unsung team from this season may have joined them in taking no further an active role. Things that management could put people's minds at rest over. Len being away in the snow is no excuse with today's technology. If Len has an excuse what of Roger?

Re the track staff, I would expect with the exception of myself, Paul and Tony & Denise Fowles that everyone will return for the new season so the club will be looking for / or already have replaced a Commercial Manager, Clerk of the Course and Track Photographers.

Obviously the above people did more than just what their roles indicate but I am sure others will step into the roles either from the existing team at CP or from Rye House.

I don't know how much news comes out from Rye House over the winter, we know Mr Silver always announces his Rockets team ASAP after the AGM, but with the Kings it seems that it will be the New Year although I would be amazed if some riders were not already signed up, I certaintly hope so.

Clearly there has been a change in promotional / marketing style since the end of the season but it is Mr Cearns and Mr Silvers right to run the club how they see fit. When involved I pushed for a different way which we did last year but at the end of the day it's not the way the promotion want to go, hence the changes.

Keep the faith, Kent Kings fans, it may take a while but I'm sure you will get the news you want.

This attitude towards the local Press could easily backfire. If a reporter phones several times and gets a cold shoulder in response, they tend to remember these things when they are needed. While they will not then use information passed to them, the possibility is that their retaliation could well be not so prominent coverage during the season.

I just hope that whoever at Kent Kings is not giving a story to the local paper will not find something like this happening WHEN IT SUITS THEM to get in touch with the local newspaper and fail to get the desired prominent coverage they seek.

Ben Hopwood would be a very good shout, if memory is correct I think he scored a max at CP last season and is a great lad with very good support from his dad Chaz.

If Mildenhall don't use Aaron Baseby, he would be a very good signing, and a local lad as well for local fans to follow. Not sure he would sign for the Kings though.

Anyway I am sure riders are being lined up.

As a start, what about.

1. Ben Morley

2. Aaron Baseby

3. David Mason

4. Ben Hopwood

5, Benji Compton

6. Jack Kingston

7. Adam Kirby

Don't have averages to hand so no idea if it fits.

Ben - Great lad and rider,but not a No 1 for me.

Aaron - We know will not ride as things are.

Dave - Not for me,would rather have a younger rider.

Ben - yes.

Benji - Thought someone said he would not ride for Kings next year for some reason.

Jack - Yes.

Adam - Not for me.

But who knows Neil,you could be right. :lol:

Ben - Great lad and rider,but not a No 1 for me.

Aaron - We know will not ride as things are.

Dave - Not for me,would rather have a younger rider.

Ben - yes.

Benji - Thought someone said he would not ride for Kings next year for some reason.

Jack - Yes.

Adam - Not for me.

But who knows Neil,you could be right. :lol:

I would plump all the way to retain Dave Mason. There's nothing wrong in having an experienced campaigner of his quality in a team of youngsters. His advice and experience could be of tremendous benefit to the younger riders in the Kings' side.

I would plump all the way to retain Dave Mason. There's nothing wrong in having an experienced campaigner of his quality in a team of youngsters. His advice and experience could be of tremendous benefit to the younger riders in the Kings' side.

How many near 40 year olds did Dudley have this year? Did not do too bad with youngsters. :lol:

How many near 40 year olds did Dudley have this year? Did not do too bad with youngsters. :lol:

I do not see age as a barrier in speedway. Wal Morton was in his mid-50s when he retired in a career spanning 1932-54. Geoff Pymar was another with a similar career to his East Anglian colleague. Keith Harvey started at 32 years of age in 1929, ride for most top division cubs before etirement in National League Division One with New Cross at 50 years in 1947.

Jimmy Squibb was another into his very late 40s when he retired, while free-lancers George Bason (one time Southampton captain, West Ham, Wembley, Southampton etc) and his pal Stan Tebby (Jim's dad) were still racing in open meetings in France when in their late fifties.

Another is Harold McNaughton started at Hastings in 1948 aged 37 years, later rode for Southampton, New Cross and Ipswich and was capped for England in Division Two international matches.

I see age as no barrier to David Mason riding for Kent Kings. IMO there's far too much addiction to "bring on youngsters" these days. The real test is: If you are good enough. And on last season's form, David Mason certainly is.

Edited by Guest

Hi all! Not been on here for ages due to work etc but been looking thru the posts? got everything crossed that things work out for the kings with promotion etc? Havent got a clue with the team suggestions apart from keeping Ben Morley is a must as is Jack Kingston? Also feel we need a strong number 1 again as has been mentioned I dont think Ben is an out and out number 1? but maybe will be proved wrong as I think his time at Lakeside next season will do him wonders and help him to grow into an even better rider? As has been mentioned I personally dont see age being a problem? Just ask Mr Hancock or Gollob??? Both in their 40's and can still show the youngsters how its done!!! Think you need an older rider to help the youngsters along so would like to see a mix in the Kings team next season?

Anyway looking forward to another successful season at Central Park and hoping that everyone pulls together and stops moaning and winging about promotion, riders etc and just gets behind the whole thing!

With respect 'gustix' and fully acknowledging your knowledge of the past in speedway, the NL is not about that for it is about the future i.e. being a step on the ladder to ultimate success in the sport. Hence emphasis is placed quite rightly on young riders when it comes to assembling sides at the beginning of any season.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong at all with the inclusion of one experienced rider in a side to pass on knowledge gained during a career and help the youngsters develop their own individual talents in a team racing environment.

• Like 1

I used to love seeing an experienced oldie outpacing an emergent youngster, using his skills and slowing the pace to dictate proceedings. Those days have long since gone but then speedway is a different concept to what it was in the immediate post-war years. Whether the changes are for the better or not is debatable.

Edited by Guest

With the loss of a large percentage of last seasons No 1,s for various reasons ,it will be down to emerging riders to step up to the plate ..At this stage of their carrears some of these youngsters can make rapid progress and by the end of next season i would expect to see some knocking on the door for Premier League places ,and this after all is the main purpose of this league,,there is how ever still a place in a team for an exsperienced rider, to pass on knowledge and in this respect age is no problem any way David Mason is not as old as some people think and is one of the best guys you could have in the pits to help anyone

Edited by waco

With other clubs starting to put together their 1 - 7, here in my opinion is a possible line up for the Kings depending on the assessed starting averages of numbers 1 & 2.

1. Simon Lambert 8.00 ?

2. Marc Owen 5.00 ?

3. Ben Hopwood 6.89

4. Benji Compton 6.37

5. Ben Morley 7.12

6. Adam Kirby 3.00

7. Jack Kingston 4.20

So Kings top 5 are - Lambert,Morley,Compton,Mason & Chesell with reserves to come.

That looks rather good in my books.

Funny how the team has been announced after comments on here.

Coincidence or is somebody looking at this Forum? :D

• Like 1

With the loss of a large percentage of last seasons No 1,s for various reasons ,it will be down to emerging riders to step up to the plate ..At this stage of their carrears some of these youngsters can make rapid progress and by the end of next season i would expect to see some knocking on the door for Premier League places ,and this after all is the main purpose of this league,,there is how ever still a place in a team for an exsperienced rider, to pass on knowledge and in this respect age is no problem any way David Mason is not as old as some people think and is one of the best guys you could have in the pits to help anyone

Totally agree Waco that an experienced head in the pits is invaluable to help the youngsters with engine set ups and adapting to track conditions and in David Mason he still has a lot to offer in that field and can still mix it when needed.

If David is not used for the King's in 2014 he would be a excellent choice as Team Manager / Coach. as someone who has been there, done it & got the T-Shirt and with his knowledge is respected by other riders is the league.

So Kings top 5 are - Lambert,Morley,Compton,Mason & Chesell with reserves to come.

That looks rather good in my books.

Funny how the team has been announced after comments on here.

Coincidence or is somebody looking at this Forum? :D

With the top 5 confirmed on the B.S.P.A. site and Jack Kingston not being able to commit to Mondays, http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23479.

Now I would like to see the other 2 riders being Marc Owen & Brandon Freemantle with a 1 -7 of,

1. Simon Lambert ?.??

2. Luke Chessell 4.22

3. David Mason 6.38

4. Benji Compton 6.37

5. Ben Morley 7.12

6. Marc Owen ?.??

7. Brandon Freemantle 3.00

Totally agree Waco that an experienced head in the pits is invaluable to help the youngsters with engine set ups and adapting to track conditions and in David Mason he still has a lot to offer in that field and can still mix it when needed.

If David is not used for the King's in 2014 he would be a excellent choice as Team Manager / Coach. as someone who has been there, done it & got the T-Shirt and with his knowledge is respected by other riders is the league.

If I was David Mason and not offered a riding role, after last season' fiasco concerning him and Kings, were I to be offered a non-riding place I know here I would tell them to place such an offer. As BigDave points out regarding Mason's riding ability "...and in David Mason he still has a lot to offer in that field and can still mix it when needed."

More than happy with that top 5!!! Think lambert will b an excellent replacement for Steve and glad ben, benji, and dave are staying! Hoping now we get 2 reserves who can improve throughout the season! Cant see us propping up the table this year that's for sure! Well done to all concerned fir putting 2gether a very competitive top 5! Roll on April!!