British Speedway Forum

No Sky Speedway = A New Opportunity

CLUB photographers and videographers must sign a license agreement form which has to be signed off by the BSPA, the [club] promoter and GSI. Any prevention of 'clips' is due to this license which is NOT signed by SKY directly; though they do have to protect their intellectual properties too etc. If any of you are interested in seeing the general content of this form, then I can provide a link.

Edited by SGP

The agreement could easily have been transferred from one legal entity to the other in the same way that a promoting company at a track can be replaced by another. Similar names and ownerships don't stop you having two legal entities and switching contracts from one to another. It's just speculation though unless you have access to privileged information.

Putting a company into liquidation and transferring business to another with a similar name and ownership is a pretty commonplace matter.

You might but it's the engineers at the stations who have the say.

If you look at GSI website it states that its properties include The International rights to the Elite League, along with others

I believe the GSI agreement means clubs aren't allowed to show races on their sites.

I sense you're easily angered? :)

Sky hold the TV & Online rights to British Speedway in the UK as I understand, so it would be that contract that prevents the showing of races on a website, not GSI's.

You ought to take a look at The Edinburgh Website and others

Hmmmm? Can anyone remember what happened the last time the Elite League / Domestic Speedway on SKY tv contract came to an end? I really cannot remember how it got to its decision to renew.......? Anybody remember how it all worked out...........?

Terry Russell, on behalf of Go Speed and the BSPA, reached an agreement for another period, which has now ended this month.

Terry Russell, on behalf of Go Speed and the BSPA, reached an agreement for another period, which has now ended this month.

And as I recall the new agreement(the one that has just expired) was arranged well in advance of the old one running out. Which along with Sky dropping the GP coverage is why there is pessimism they will come back on board.

And as I recall the new agreement(the one that has just expired) was arranged well in advance of the old one running out. Which along with Sky dropping the GP coverage is why there is pessimism they will come back on board.

Quite agree. Their(SKY) lack of contact does not bode well.

"If you look at GSI website it states that its properties include The International rights to the Elite League, along with others "

Thanks, I was already well aware of that. I was referring to an apparent transfer of rights from the old Go Speed Company to Go Speed International.

Yeah a lot of the BT figures are Virgin media XL customers who get the channel for free and Virgin pay around £1.20 per customer with group discount. So the revenue for BT sport at present is not that good. They need to get more Sky customers signed up especially the ones who don't have BT broadband

Yeah a lot of the BT figures are Virgin media XL customers who get the channel for free and Virgin pay around £1.20 per customer with group discount. So the revenue for BT sport at present is not that good. They need to get more Sky customers signed up especially the ones who don't have BT broadband

don't think B T will have to wait to much longer before more sign up , sky sports seems to showing more repeats than u.k gold , becoming a total waste of money if you don't watch football

don't think B T will have to wait to much longer before more sign up , sky sports seems to showing more repeats than u.k gold , becoming a total waste of money if you don't watch football

Given that BT are giving BT Broadband users free subscription to BT sport sky need to start looking to their Laurals.. If they continue with this, and Sky do not re-new their speedway contract, which i hope everybody comes to some sort of agreement and they re-new, then i could well be telling Sky to.... And i'll watch the GPs down the Churchill.

Edited by Starman2006

There is a new media age around the corner and being beholden to Sky for coverage of a sport is no longer a given. There are lots of potential alternatives for rights holders to get their product to customers via TV streaming rather than broadcasting in the traditional sense. The question is does anyone within speedway have the vision to grasp the opportunity ?

There is a new media age around the corner and being beholden to Sky for coverage of a sport is no longer a given. There are lots of potential alternatives for rights holders to get their product to customers via TV streaming rather than broadcasting in the traditional sense. The question is does anyone within speedway have the vision to grasp the opportunity ?

I agree, but you need the content in the first place and that is where speedway falls down.

The other problem is while people don't blink at paying a minimum of £20 a month to subscribe to Sky, they are much more reluctant to pay for content online. I would love to know how many subscribers GoSpeed go for their online offering of the Polish play-offs for example.

Different sport I know but premier sports have done a deal with English ice hockey one live game a week .

Might dovetail in with the Swedish coverage.

As Premier Sports are doing the Swedish League we can see how good their teams are. After all we know the riders anyway. And to all those armchair critics who constantly slagged off the SKY coverage. - how does it feel?

PS They're doing F1 stock cars as well :wink: