British Speedway Forum

No Sky Speedway = A New Opportunity

Back in 1985 when I worked for the BSPA the percentage was 10 per cent of any sponsorship revenue. The matter of a TV deal was academic then with ITV having the main rights and Screen Sport having the NL cable rights.

I would imagine the 'finder's fee' would have been the same.

I expect the price must have been higher than the Swedish rights which I believe weren't brokered by GSI.

I'm just surprised that Premier Sports went for the Swedish racing, even though apart from NHL ice hockey it does base its schedules on sports ignored by rivals.

As BT are finding, despite the quality of action and presentation even foreign football has to work hard for an audience, let alone an obscure sport like ours.

BT Sport is very much a viable option, based on what I am aware of, as is Eurosport who it seems would tender the OB facilities. Of course though, most of this depends on the BSPA AGM. The key thing is, and as everybody else is aware of, teams are reluctant to build without knowing if they have a TV deal budget and is yet more reason as to why a new deal should've been sorted long before this stage.

BT Sport is very much a viable option, based on what I am aware of, as is Eurosport who it seems would tender the OB facilities. Of course though, most of this depends on the BSPA AGM. The key thing is, and as everybody else is aware of, teams are reluctant to build without knowing if they have a TV deal budget and is yet more reason as to why a new deal should've been sorted long before this stage.

Which suggests they have learned nothing at all. If a TV deal is put in place they still intend to stuff any money straight into the back pockets of mercenary riders

Edited by Oldace

Delighted to hear both BT and British Eurosport are contenders, especially in the latter's case where until recently their policy has been mainly to show international sport. A change in this policy came with their deal to cover the British Basketball League, and also you would argue, the NFL.

Clearly times are changing at what used to be, in effect the sports side of Eurovision, who do a little more than organise a song concert......

My earlier comment about BT related to it being unlikely they would take on the Swedish racing, at least without having the British product first.

Either way I would be very surprised if ANY broadcaster would be interested in paying a million a year for coverage, as with the Sky deal currently expiring. Surely the wisest policy is to plan without TV revenue and any that arrives be seen as a bonus?

But this is speedway.....

Having done an internet search (and trust me I'm fairly adept at that sort of thing) I cannot see that Sky have made any comment on the viewing figures or the likelihood of stopping speedway coverage. The BSPA haven't commented; Nigel Pearson doesn't appear to have said anything; so where does this received wisdom come from? Well on count back it seems to emanate from the BSF!

So the BSF had run a number of threads based on no facts stating that the Sky deal is ending; call me simple but would it not be better to wait until Sky make a statement before increasing the CO2 emissions through keyboard overload?

After all if a deal is ending that doesn't mean it is not renewing or does it?

• Like 1

Having done an internet search (and trust me I'm fairly adept at that sort of thing) I cannot see that Sky have made any comment on the viewing figures or the likelihood of stopping speedway coverage. The BSPA haven't commented; Nigel Pearson doesn't appear to have said anything; so where does this received wisdom come from? Well on count back it seems to emanate from the BSF!

So the BSF had run a number of threads based on no facts stating that the Sky deal is ending; call me simple but would it not be better to wait until Sky make a statement before increasing the CO2 emissions through keyboard overload?

Fairly sure Phil Rising has commented on it, amongst 'authoritative' sources. However, if you go and about Go-Speed's affairs, I think the evidence can be found there...

"The company's primary source of income had been through the operation of licensing arrangements for (sic) Britsh Speedway Promoters Association and BSkyB, the contract for which had been terminated"

This was from July 2013.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Fairly sure Phil Rising has commented on it, amongst 'authoritative' sources. However, if you go and about Go-Speed's affairs, I think the evidence can be found there...

"The company's primary source of income had been through the operation of licensing arrangements for (sic) Britsh Speedway Promoters Association and BSkyB, the contract for which had been terminated"

This was from July 2013.

Would that not refer to Go Speeds contract with the BSPA to rake off 20%? The SKY contract hasn't actually been terminated as such, merely expired and not renewed (as of yet)

• Like 1

This was from July 2013.

Thanks; a fairly unclear statement! Does this mean that the BSPA have terminated the contract with Go Speed i.e. have withdrawn the licencing rights or, as people appear to be assuming Sky have terminated the contract with Go Speed/BSPA but does that necessarily mean that Sky will not renew; depending on what you are assuming, and bearing in mind we don't necessarily know who is in bed with who, this can mean many things.

Businesses (in this case speedway promoters of each and every club), surely, should budget on 'worse case scenario'? So budget for no TV deal, lowest crowds etc.

Edited by The Abbott

Businesses (in this case speedway promoters of each and every club), surely, should budget on 'worse case scenario'? So budget for no TV deal, lowest crowds etc.

i agree totally with this comment mr a however will promoters have the guts and unity to say no to riders demands to fit this budget

This was from July 2013.

I think Go-Speed Limited went into liquidation on 7 June 2010 but Go Speed International Limited is still trading. The accounts of Go-Speed Limited at the time of liquidation make interesting reading.

Thanks; a fairly unclear statement! Does this mean that the BSPA have terminated the contract with Go Speed i.e. have withdrawn the licencing rights or, as people appear to be assuming Sky have terminated the contract with Go Speed/BSPA but does that necessarily mean that Sky will not renew; depending on what you are assuming, and bearing in mind we don't necessarily know who is in bed with who, this can mean many things.

Based on what I have read here from Phil Rising whose credentials are pretty impressive, plus those of both flagrag and SGP who both would appear to know what they are talking about there has been no termination or withdrawal of rights in this case. Instead a fixed-term deal has expired and not yet been renewed with it suggested that the new contact at Sky was not prepared to meet with GSI over a renewal, although it seems that a meeting had now been arranged.

So, ijn this case I would suggest that it IS a strong possibility that the deal will not be renewed or will be on reduced financial terms.

My own observations are based not only on my own involement in such matters but also a continuing study ofr media matters over the best part of fifty years. I cannot claim to be right but I offer my thoughts in order to assist the debate.

To suggest that comments on this thread are just being based on the usualo BSF uninformed speculation isn't very helpful.

I want the sport on TV and am keen to help the debate on how it can be achieved. Of course we can all just bury our heads in the sand and lety opportunities pass us by then moan about the outcome.

There are few certainties until a contract is signed. However there is one painful certainty if no agreement is found. Let's hope GSI succeed, with whichever broadcaster is interested. Personally, I'd love it to be BT, as I expect is pretty clear from my previous ramblings.

The alternative being talked about is the BSPA producing a one hour highlights program for Sky at a cost of 5-7000 a week. Roughly 5-600 pounds a week from each promotion.

The show would have to be produced by a professional company with top notch graphics and in HD. Would promoters be willing to dip their hands in their takings to pay for such a program with highlights from every meeting around the EL that week? I somehow doubt it very much. We would soon see IOU's going in the pot.

It will be interesting to hear what happened at the Sky meeting with Terry Russell. Hopefully not all bad news.

I don't know about the costs, but i was talking to somebody the other day about the self same idea of doing an hour or so highlights programme weekly with live sky meetings for the play off's and final.. That could well be a goer..

Edited by Starman2006

I don't know about the costs, but i was talking to somebody the other day about the self same idea of doing a highlights programme weekly with live sky meetings for the play off's and final.. That could well be a goer..

I don't particularly want to see Poole win again. :o:blink::D

• Like 1

I don't particularly want to see Poole win again. :o:blink::D

Sh-te happens...

Edited by Starman2006