British Speedway Forum

No Sky Speedway = A New Opportunity

What is the point of signing a new contract with sky if the money is just p***** away like before ? The sky money should be kept away from all promoters /owners etc.

Rather a silly post as the promoters /owners are Speedway. If there were no promoters /owners there would be no Speedway

Could not imagine the UK local authorities taking over the tracks like they did in Sweden to stop them closing.

Ok so sky give each team £100 grand each. They pay all previous bills off & guess what all the money has gone. Don't give it to the teams it needs to be invested into youth ,smartening up statiums etc. Surely we can all see what a complete arse the pleps have made with the sky money.

Mr muppet thanks for your post so I guess we just stagger on with or without the sky money as everything is fine. I thought this was a forum for ideas so I didn't appreciate you calling my opinion silly.

Ok so sky give each team £100 grand each. They pay all previous bills off & guess what all the money has gone. Don't give it to the teams it needs to be invested into youth ,smartening up statiums etc. Surely we can all see what a complete arse the pleps have made with the sky money.

Mr muppet thanks for your post so I guess we just stagger on with or without the sky money as everything is fine. I thought this was a forum for ideas so I didn't appreciate you calling my opinion silly.

Problem on the stadium front is most of them don't own them so can't improve them. Coventrys is up for sale, doesn't the Swindon owner want to sell that stadium too? But you are right, if the stadia were better, the crowds would be significantly better, I am certain of that.

Good idea - see red underline. Stadium owners would be delighted to have tenants paying for improvement work. :oops:

How about if they were to pay direct to the Promoter for each meeting shown 75% to the home team and the rest for the away side? No middleman taking a cut and encouragement for Promoters to produce good racing tracks and pick up the Sky money.

The alternative being talked about is the BSPA producing a one hour highlights program for Sky at a cost of 5-7000 a week. Roughly 5-600 pounds a week from each promotion.

The show would have to be produced by a professional company with top notch graphics and in HD. Would promoters be willing to dip their hands in their takings to pay for such a program with highlights from every meeting around the EL that week? I somehow doubt it very much. We would soon see IOU's going in the pot.

It will be interesting to hear what happened at the Sky meeting with Terry Russell. Hopefully not all bad news.

It was rained off after 10 minutes.

10 minutes?

Is it the same principle as 10 heats?

Can a result be declared? Was Speedway ahead at the time or should we push to continue?!

• Like 2

The alternative being talked about is the BSPA producing a one hour highlights program for Sky at a cost of 5-7000 a week. Roughly 5-600 pounds a week from each promotion.

The show would have to be produced by a professional company with top notch graphics and in HD. Would promoters be willing to dip their hands in their takings to pay for such a program with highlights from every meeting around the EL that week? I somehow doubt it very much. We would soon see IOU's going in the pot.

It will be interesting to hear what happened at the Sky meeting with Terry Russell. Hopefully not all bad news.

Like you Steve, while some Elite clubs do keep their finances tidy, I seriously doubt the ability of other Elite clubs to keep up with weekly payments of £600 for a tv-showcase when they struggle to keep up with similar-sized payments for things that are much more fundamental to running a speedway meeting than making sure Sky can show some highlights a few days later.

Also, I wouldn't trust the BSPA Management Committee to successfully ensure the skint clubs kept up to date with such payments.

And actually, given each club's had only 14 home league-meetings this year spread over about 24-weeks of a regular season, your estimate of £600 per week is actually nearer £1,000 out of each home meeting's gate receipts because the production company will expect its money for each programme regardless of how much each individual club features in each specific show ... 24-weeks @ £600 means £14,400 needing to be stumped up from those 14 gate-receipts.

So that's a swing of roughly 400 fans from each team's home crowd between receiving Sky-money up-till-now and paying money to retain a Sky-presence next year ... it's previously been estimated on this forum that the Sky-money this year has meant the same as about 340 extra fans per meeting but this project requires using the money from about 60 real fans (via the £1,000 they've handed over at the turnstiles) to keep Elite League speedway on Sky's schedules.

Unless the clubs individually or (don't laugh please) the BSPA collectively can drum up sponsors for at least a good chunk of the funding for these highlights, I'd regard staying on Sky this way as a complete vanity-project instead of an important necessity.

• Like 2

Speedway can't compete with live matches. While fans are at home, in the warm, comforted by a cup of something and enable to watch a live match, they aren't actually making efforts to attend one.

There are no football matches live on TV at 3 O' Clock on a Saturday as, from what I believe, crowds would dip at other matches.

The actual knowledge that speedway is live on TV every week does take a certain amount of effort and temptation to attend one in the flesh.

I feel the best way for speedway right now, is for an edited highlights show of some sort - whether it be a full macth or ods and sods from various tracks.

Speedway can't afford live matches, as it takes something away from actually wanting to attend one.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

I feel the best way for speedway right now, is for an edited highlights show of some sort - whether it be a full macth or ods and sods from various tracks.

Speedway can't afford live matches, as it takes something away from actually wanting to attend one.

Been said before but the main reason people don't to live sky matches is tends be on a off race night and that has been a massive problem . We know your silly answer is that you would go any day but most fans don't .

10 minutes?

Is it the same principle as 10 heats?

Can a result be declared? Was Speedway ahead at the time or should we push to continue?!

It's just delayed and will be re-run when Sky are at full strength. Apparently they were going to stick with it but the seats got too slippery with the rain and it became an issue when Russell slipped off his seat after 10 minutes. Although several junior members had hit the deck earlier in the meeting, when someone of his experience does that then it's clearly a H&S issue and it is impossible to continue although the result was still in doubt.

Edited by Crump99

Poole to keep their Title winning side, with the points limit set to whatever their 7 riders combined. The rest of the EL can build upto them for a proper EL

Simples. :approve::icon_smile_clown:

Have always thought that the points limit should be made up to the League's strongest side - team continuity and all that, but obviously the sport cannot currently afford it...

The suggested alternative of the likes of Tai, Darcy etc racing even more PL/NL riders will drive even more supporters away.

If the sport cannot afford the 'big names' then it is obvious that they shouldn't be employed.

Competitive racing please - where hopefully, most any of the 4 riders can win.. :t:

• Like 2

Can anyone explain to me how come the kray twins (Russell brothers) seem to hold so much power regarding british speedway. They were hardly a resounding success as promoters and what process did they go through to hold the rights to speedway on tv and who if anyone held them before?

Here in Plymouth the rumour is that Argyle were paid £60k and their opponents a similar sum for the lowest of the footba;; leagues for one match, cant imagione it drew a big audience amongst the UK footy fans.

That makes the speedway coverage a complete bargain lets not forget that in order to fill the current screen time SKY will have to find an alternative and it will have to be something that advertisers will support maybe at last we will have coverage of the World of Outlaws sprint car series.

SKY could rregret not carrying Speedway, how many cancelled their subs last week?

They paid too much for their footy coverage and so the other sports are having to suffer because SKY executives can only see one sport, how long before the channels are renamed after the footy leagues a la the Formula 1 channel

• Like 1