British Speedway Forum

No Sky Speedway = A New Opportunity

I would happily pay £20-25 per month to watch PL and EL racing.

Matt did say on the centre green after Wednesday's meeting 2 other parties have come to the table about EL racing on TV.

A meeting is due with sky next week, he did say these 2 options have come up in the last 4 weeks during the playoffs.

Who could they be? BT sport?

So I wouldn't write off EL speedway on TV next season just yet.

Lets spin this on its head and allow Sky within the basic parameters of Speedway rules, i.e, 4 riders, 3pts, 2pts, 1pt, etc come up with a format that they want for TV. I am afraid that Speedway needs TV more than TV needs Speedway so it could be a case of "he who pays the piper'.

Looking back at this season it is no wonder that the has been a disparity in Teams, the points limit was reduced last season (to cut costs) but meant effectively each team riding with a heat leader less. Over the course of the Season one of the previous seasons middle order rider becomes a heat leader on an inflated average.

Fast forward it to this winter when the points limit will again come under question and the product will get further diluted.

Speedway bosses would do well to remember the old adage, "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time!'.

Edited by a4poster
  • Like 1

I wouldn't pay £20 a month for it......I cancelled my Sky sports earlier in the year due to the cost and now just use Eurosport for the GP's.

That said, there have been some good ideas on this thread and for those who rely on televised meetings, maybe because they cannot make meetings in real life, it would be a godsend if a way forward could be found.

i wouldn't pay 20 either but would pay for single meetings occasionally- maybe 3 to 5 pounds a time

Lets spin this on its head and allow Sky within the basic parameters of Speedway rules, i.e, 4 riders, 3pts, 2pts, 1pt, etc come up with a format that they want for TV. I am afraid that Speedway needs TV more than TV needs Speedway so it could be a case of "he who pays the piper'.

Looking back at this season it is no wonder that the has been a disparity in Teams, the points limit was reduced last season (to cut costs) but meant effectively each team riding with a heat leader less. Over the course of the Season one of the previous seasons middle order rider becomes a heat leader on an inflated average.

Fast forward it to this winter when the points limit will again come under question and the product will get further diluted.

Speedway bosses would do well to remember the old adage, "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time!'.

Do you not think that they (SKY) have bu****ed Speedway up enough as it is? :mad: :mad:

I wouldn't pay £20 a month for it......I cancelled my Sky sports earlier in the year due to the cost and now just use Eurosport for the GP's.

Me too Sue but did you know there is a cracking updates site so you can still find out what's going on even if you're not watching the match? :wink: Many thanks to the texters and updaters who do a brilliant job.

• Like 4

I would happily pay £20-25 per month to watch PL and EL racing.

Matt did say on the centre green after Wednesday's meeting 2 other parties have come to the table about EL racing on TV.

A meeting is due with sky next week, he did say these 2 options have come up in the last 4 weeks during the playoffs.

Who could they be? BT sport?

So I wouldn't write off EL speedway on TV next season just yet.

SEE BELOW

premier aports and british eurosport.. channel 410,411 and 447 are free if you have the family package plus. its all you needfor anything to do with bikes. my package costs 32 pounds with broadband and calls ,unlimited b/band.

Edited by jenga

Well I guess we will find out if there's a new contract in the next few days/couple of weeks.

Streaming at certain tracks may well be an issue though there is satellite internet with decent upload speeds so that could be looked at. I had satelite Broadband for a few years before my area was introduced to BT Broadband and was fast.

Whilst I agree with Flagrag about speeds, the service doesn't have to be a HD stream for laptops/smart device. A SD stream uses a lot less bandwidth and is still completely watchable.

As for people mentioning Eurosport and Premier Sports, that would be a non starter. Neither would spend money on a bespoke broadcast and 99% of their content is provided by other stations. They just pay for the feed and stick their brand mark on it.

Of course the meetings don't have to be live if it means saving money. A show can be filmed, edited and then broadcast online within 24 hours. That way there would be no bandwidth issues as the content would be straight onto a server to be pushed out or downloaded. Not as good as watching live but guarenteed no issues. However, would people be prepared to watch a meeting when they already know the score? Not so exciting.

IT seems that Sky have now agreed to meet with Terry Russell but what, if any offer, will ensue remains to be seen.

Well something needs to be thrashed out, because although some people wouldn't see speedway being a loss on sky, many clubs would. Now, I would ask the promoters to think long and hard before they throw any deal offered out the window, then, they can go from there and tweek things. But in the first instance I urge ALL ther promoters involved, to sit round a table.. There's a couple of old sayings.... Yes there are alturnatives, and BT Sport could be one, but Sky have been on board for many years now, and they should get first dibs and offer a deal.

Edited by Starman2006

Why Terry Russell?

Why not send somebody like Matt Ford who knows how to sell a product,

I agree, but Mr Russell always been the go between in the Sky deals. Edited by Starman2006

quite a good article but with seeing a speedway match the next day would not be a problem. ITs not like football where the tv tells you the score all weekend and sometimes during the week. You cant gtet away from football scores but speedway is differant from football. To find out the speedway score 24hrs before they show it you would have to go onto the club website or BSPA or the forum. IF you keep away from it you wouldnt knwo the score. Its easy, just dont look at the socre.

• Like 1

Why Terry Russell?

Why not send somebody like Matt Ford who knows how to sell a product, Also Russell's appearance isn't as good as Matt Ford's as Matt's hair looks cool.

SUPERB Hougaard Racing Fans, SUPERB!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You DO come up with a GEM sometimes. :t:

IT seems that Sky have now agreed to meet with Terry Russell but what, if any offer, will ensue remains to be seen.

I am keeping my fingers crossed - but have LOW expectations. :sad: :sad: