British Speedway Forum

Pearson Defends The Play-off... Desperate

Nigel Pearson is the best speedway commentator on TV. He adds vitality and interest even to the most processional of races. Kelvin is good as the instant comment man, backing him up although I was impressed with Steve Johnston when he stood in for him some years ago. If Sky do not transmit speedway next season, I fully expect Nigel to continue with the GP's on Eurosport and maybe take over the commentary of the European championship from the two clowns who do it at the moment.

For me it is the other way around, I am not a fan of Nigel and Kelvin's excitable commentary, but I would not be so derogatory as to call them clowns, for me the more laid back attitude of Scott and "the other guy" is much more palatable, so what suits one does not suit another, but can we stop the stupid name calling please ?.

Edited for grammar correction !

Edited by 2ndbendpostie
  • Like 4

For me it is the other way around, I am not a fan of Nigel and Kelvin's excitable commentary, but I would not be so derogatory as to call them clowns, for me the more laid back attitude of Scott and "the other guy" is much more palatable, so what suits one does not suit another, but can we stop the stupid name calling please ?.

Edited for grammar correction !

Yes - I actually like BOTH of the Commentary Teams that you mention. :t:

I hope Sky and Pearson all eff off and Speedway gets back to what it was

Yeah. I think we all miss the glory days of the "let's try to get speedway on the telly" campaign.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 2

Yeh let's hope sky go & then we can go back to how it was ? So that's like it is now but not on tv. My god no other sport would think losing live tv coverage was a good thing apart from it seems ours.

Yeh let's hope sky go & then we can go back to how it was ? So that's like it is now but not on tv. My god no other sport would think losing live tv coverage was a good thing apart from it seems ours.

Yeh let's get rid of sky & get to how we were before they destroyed everything !! So that's the same as it is now but not on live tv. Can't think of any other sport that thinks being on the box is a bad thing.

So Nigel and Kelvin shout.....Its Feckin motor sport for Godsake not Snooker.....Sky have done a great job and I for one hope it stays..Speedway needs all the help it can get.

So Nigel and Kelvin shout.....Its Feckin motor sport for Godsake not Snooker.....Sky have done a great job and I for one hope it stays..Speedway needs all the help it can get.

Yeh let's get rid of sky & get to how we were before they destroyed everything !! So that's the same as it is now but not on live tv. Can't think of any other sport that thinks being on the box is a bad thing.

SO good you posted it four times ... well said, four times

SO good you posted it four times ... well said, four times

If Sky, Pearson and Tatum have done such a great job, how come British speedway is in such a parlous state?

Bad promotion!

Bad promotion! you cant blame Sky for Speedways troubles, look at the BSPA...What a stupid question.

Bad promotion! you cant blame Sky for Speedways troubles, look at the BSPA...What a stupid question.

Yep the reason why british speedway is in such a state is because of nigel & kelvin. Bizarre

Yep the reason why british speedway is in such a state is because of nigel & kelvin. Bizarre

I think the entire season is lob-sided. Teams pend all year trying to reach the top of the summit that is a Play-Off place, and then everyone is expected to cram the importance of the prvious six months and more into a few weeks, matches being played on the same night as if the tide was coming in and there was a crazy need to complete them before the world was nigh.

You should be able to enjoy the semis, take in and digest what happend in each, possibly stage one a week or at least every few days. Why the need to cram two matches in at once? Never really liked this, apart from the initial novelty value.

I also get a feeling that the eventual outcome of the Play-Offs are almost always settled, even before the first race kicks off. The recent Birmingham v Poole encounter proves a point, a complete waste of time in which you knew from the off who the winners would be.

British speedway perhaps should use SKY's departure as a time to re-invent the sport, it is too stale right now and really needs a few things throwing up in the air and seeing how they land on the floor..

I think the entire season is lob-sided. Teams pend all year trying to reach the top of the summit that is a Play-Off place, and then everyone is expected to cram the importance of the prvious six months and more into a few weeks, matches being played on the same night as if the tide was coming in and there was a crazy need to complete them before the world was nigh.

You should be able to enjoy the semis, take in and digest what happend in each, possibly stage one a week or at least every few days. Why the need to cram two matches in at once? Never really liked this, apart from the initial novelty value.

I also get a feeling that the eventual outcome of the Play-Offs are almost always settled, even before the first race kicks off. The recent Birmingham v Poole encounter proves a point, a complete waste of time in which you knew from the off who the winners would be.

British speedway perhaps should use SKY's departure as a time to re-invent the sport, it is too stale right now and really needs a few things throwing up in the air and seeing how they land on the floor..

If Sky, Pearson and Tatum have done such a great job, how come British speedway is in such a parlous state?

Well you learn something new everyday!

I did not know Kel and Nige were running British Speedway and commentating was just a sideline.

Got to agree that these two have certainly done a p#ss poor job when it comes to overseeing the sport.

Maybe they should have stuck to commentating and left the running of the sport to someone more qualified like the BSPA.

• Like 1

I don't think the state it is in has anything remotely to do with the commentators, nor is it anything to do with the condition of the various venues. Speedway has been on telly for a while now and the attendances are still going down. There must be viewers who have stumbled across meetings on the box but not felt any compunction to witness it live. We really need to admit that our sport is just not entertaining enough in it's present format, GP's perhaps apart.

• Like 1