British Speedway Forum

Birmingham 2014

I know Birmingham are listed as such on the BSPA site, but will they really be in the EL next year, I wonder?

Or will this be a way for Peterbro under new ownership to stay in the top flight?

I would assume assurance and representation was given at the AGM that they would be.

More bad news for Birmingham. Maybe rumours hes on way to Coventry are true?

@nigelpearson: Now Birmingham #speedway skipper @DannyKingRacing hands in transfer request... days after @philmorrisgb quits. Full story @birminghammail

Isnt King one of their only assets?

From todays Birmingham Mail.

Co-owner offers to leave club if it benefits speedway club

Alan Phillips claims he was kept in the dark over Phil Morriss plan to leave the club

And the Brummies co-owner has admitted he would be happy to leave Perry Barr himself – if it was in the best interests of the club.

In another dramatic twist in what is becoming something of a sporting soap opera, Phillips has revealed how a meeting took place between his co-owner Chris Luty, Morris and skipper Danny King when he was on holiday.

“I didn’t know that meeting had taken place until Friday when Phil had already resigned,” he said.

“You can draw your own conclusions from that, but that’s the main reason why I was surprised by the timing of it all because Phil was part of the future plans at Birmingham.

“I was aware there were issues but I felt confident these could have been overcome in good time for next season. I have the highest regard for what Phil achieved this year and as a person, but this is bad timing in my view.”

Morris has revealed how his meeting with Luty addressed his issues but clearly nothing had been done to resolve them.

Phillips said: “I really have no idea why I wasn’t told about that meeting. You’ll have to ask the other people concerned. I was first told about it when it was too late.”

And Phillips says he would leave the club if he felt it was the right thing for them.

“I’ve given it my very best and made some mistakes along the way,” said the Solihull businessman. “And, yes, if I felt it was in the best interests of Birmingham Speedway then I would hand it over to somebody else.

“I was disappointed by some of the comments made by Phil, to claim he was working with amateurs is out of order in my view.

“We will make a decision on which direction the club is going this week, I need to speak to Chris Luty again and take it from there.

“I’ve felt isolated at times this season – I’ve got a partner who doesn’t want to be involved on a day-to-day basis, I’ve been trying to keep Phil and co-promoter Graham Drury happy, keep our commercial guy Joe McLaughlin happy, keep the riders happy and keep the fans happy.

"It’s been impossible at times.”

I'll leave everyone to draw their own conclusions from this statement..................

.More water to pass under the bridge before the season starts methinks.

How does it look when the business owner claims he doesn't have a clue as to what is happening in his business? These quotes from Phillips are not good at all.

• Like 1

I would have thought the conclusions were obvious........With Kings transfer request the pressure is now on AP ..

I would not be surprised to see him go ....expect more "news" in the next 7 days

7 days, the news bulletins, press releases and PR disasters on Birmingham are practically hourly

• Like 1

I would have thought the conclusions were obvious........With Kings transfer request the pressure is now on AP ..

I would not be surprised to see him go ....expect more "news" in the next 7 days

So it seems to me if it is as Phillips claims (he didn't convince me on the radio by the way); then he has been attempting to keep Drury; Morriss and McLaughlin happy. As Morris was complementary about Drury, the process of elimination says the problem (rightly or wrongly) is McLaughlin and it is always dangerous to assume anything; but are there any other candidates for the abusing of Morriss on live TV?

Any member of management abusing another should be disciplined; doing it in public and on live TV would be seen as gross misconduct by most people I suggest? Yet nothing appears to have happened; hence this fall out; very poor management by Phillips!

• Like 2

More bad news for Birmingham. Maybe rumours hes on way to Coventry are true?

@nigelpearson: Now Birmingham #speedway skipper @DannyKingRacing hands in transfer request... days after @philmorrisgb quits. Full story @birminghammail

Isnt King one of their only assets?

Some more septic waste washes down the river, really the environmental standards agency should step in.

Not having a pop at Danny King here, just the general stench in the air around Perry Barr

Edited by Pirio Barre

So it seems to me if it is as Phillips claims (he didn't convince me on the radio by the way); then he has been attempting to keep Drury; Morriss and McLaughlin happy. As Morris was complementary about Drury, the process of elimination says the problem (rightly or wrongly) is McLaughlin and it is always dangerous to assume anything; but are there any other candidates for the abusing of Morriss on live TV?

Any member of management abusing another should be disciplined; doing it in public and on live TV would be seen as gross misconduct by most people I suggest? Yet nothing appears to have happened; hence this fall out; very poor management by Phillips!

Surely the fact that a meeting took place between King, Morris Drury and the other team owner Luty without the knowledge of AP i.e. in secret, suggests to me the problem may not lie with the commercial manager but with AP especially as he has already talked about standing down in the interest of the club!,,,,,,,,,,,,,, However I understand the Commercial manager has allegedly claimed that he virtually runs the club, this of course may be just bragging....but......Just read the article in the mail......... King states it is the worse season behind the scenes he has ever had, hinting the prob is with AP, CL and the Commercial manager You takes your choice as to where the prob lies but this is disaster for the Brummies we will be left with a team of has beens that no one else wants.. with the inevitable consequences..... all very sad

I also get the impression that Drury is less than happy but has another year of his contract to run!

Edit:- It could be that AP knew about the meeting and is just being a little crafty, we are in the dark regarding all of the politics within the club............... their may be some hidden agendas!

Edited by Nigel

Some more septic waste washes down the river, really the environmental standards agency should step in.

Not having a pop at Danny King here, just the general stench in the air around Perry Barr

The way things are going, can you blame Danny for thinking he might be better off elsewhere ?.

The house at PB needs sorting and pronto, already alienated enough people in the sport as it is.

their may be some hidden agendas!

That's exactly the problem, an unwillingness to indentify the guilty party and oust them so the club can move forward and regain the trust of others that it needs to survive, is keeping someones ego intact really more important than the clubs future ?.

So another leaves, given there was an approach for Danny prior to the AGM plus he went to an Ice Hockey match in Mick Hortons box I am not surprised. He wont be the last either, so after one of the best seasons this club has had we have now become a laughing stock :cry: , that has lass our team manager and Captain who had been with us for 3 season's have walked. :cry: .

Alan said in the artlcle yesterday tat he thought Phil saying he was working with amateurs was out of order. Well looking in from the outside, how would you explain the absence of a website. Imagine if a football team, Premier League or Football League went without a website for a month, the media and fans would be saying the same thing. Agreeing to buy Ben Barker then going back on the deal made us look terrible, cutting off BBC WM who give the sport fantastic exposure made no sense. Even going back to 2012 when I remember Alan talking to the fans over the PA during a match against Eastborune or Kings Lynn, he was incredibly negative talking about the poor crowds and saying that less money would be spent next year. The crowds may not have been good, but you dont broadcast that message to your hardcore sport that go week in week out, they wernt the problem.

I would love to see Tony Mole come back to be honest, did a great for the Brummies and we had none of this crap when he was in charge. I know he's involved in Bradford but even if he could come back in a short term agreement then it would be great. What this club needs is stability, the only way to get that is to get to the root cause of the problem so this matter can be resolved and we can move forward. At the minute who is going to want to sign for the Brummies :cry:

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 3